Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Of course, the interesting thing is that these laws aren't actually driven by the morality of certain people at all now.  Sure, there are a few people that will make it a moral issue, but the real issue is economic.  Liquor stores don't want to give up their business to grocers which is why liquor stores will be able to sell wine on Sundays prior to grocery stores.  Liquor stores were the biggest funders of keeping wine sales out of grocery stores a couple years ago.  Also interesting was that Bible verses were used by state senators today as support for passing the bill.

Has anyone walked across the Shelby St pedestrian bridge lately? What’s with the creepy-ass sound effects they have playing on there? I’ve been walking across that bridge for years now, and never noticed speakers until this week. And the “music” is almost like you are in a slasher film. And I’m not sure it’s related to the playoffs. 

41 minutes ago, nashvillwill said:

Has anyone walked across the Shelby St pedestrian bridge lately? What’s with the creepy-ass sound effects they have playing on there? I’ve been walking across that bridge for years now, and never noticed speakers until this week. And the “music” is almost like you are in a slasher film. And I’m not sure it’s related to the playoffs. 

Is this what you're talking about?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Is this what you're talking about?

Yes, that’s the sound. But it’s absolutely false that it’s a natural phanomenon. Or, they took a natural sound and amplified it 1000 times. You don’t naturally hear “some sound” on that bridge as the video suggests. And the speakers that produce it are new. I’ve been walking this bridge for decades, and never heard this sound before.

If someone decided to take vibrations in the structure and amplify them 1000 times until they are audible, then that’s fine as “art”. But I think there should be some installation explaining what it is.

If someone is trying to pass this off as some, “only musical bridge in the world”, then I would just laugh at them. 

Edited by nashvillwill

2 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

Yes, that’s the sound. But it’s absolutely false that it’s a natural phanomenon. Or, they took a natural sound and amplified it 1000 times. You don’t naturally hear “some sound” on that bridge as the video suggests. And the speakers that produce it are new. I’ve been walking this bridge for decades, and never heard this sound before.

If someone decided to take vibrations in the structure and amplify them 1000 times until they are audible, then that’s fine as “art”. But I think there should be some installation explaining what it is.

If someone is trying to pass this off as some, “only musical bridge in the world”, then I would just laugh at them. 

Yeah, it seems odd that there wouldn't be an explanation anywhere.  Maybe it's somehow amplifying the otherwise inaudible noises of the water hitting the base of the bridge somehow?  I don't know.  It's cool, but it does seem odd as a permanent feature of a prominent Nashville landmark.  It would make more sense as it's own attraction tucked away somewhere that you had to make a point to go see.  I actually encountered something very similar over the summer when I was on holiday in Zadar, Croatia.  Along the sea wall there they have a permanent art installation called the "Sea Organ" in which notches are somehow carved into the underside of a series of steps, which make different notes as the waves of the Adriatic crash into them.  It's hauntingly beautiful, but sort of tucked away from everything else.  Here it is below:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

Cool, I'll have to go down there today and check it out!

• Like 1