Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, Flatrock said:

Production: there's been a mini-exodus from West Coast and NYC to Nashville for music production, management and labels ....over the past 10 -12 years. Numerous genres represented, namely; indie rock, alternative rock, some pop, lots of americana, etc.. Country already here so I didn't list that. Along with production, a number of non-country well-known and emerging artists have relocated to Nashville from West coast, East coast, and from all over the country...to Nashville. This influx includes singers, musicians, writers...artists of all kinds.

The Nashville music scene: there's now a powerful, LOCAL generator for a vibrant multi genre music scene. Arguably, that has been here for quite a while, but it's definitely stepped up a few notches. I can think of 15 local venues (none downtown) we regularly hit - that serve up alt rock, indie rock, post punk, folk rock, Americana, bluegrass, electronica/EDM & blues. It's all out there. Our current live (non-lower Broadway) music scene stacks up favorably when compared to Austin, our closest peer. Nashville way out-punches it's weight against much bigger cities in terms of the number of creatives living here and the amount of music/music-related benefits we accrue as a result. Our music scene is vibrant and diverse....and may we never take it for granted.

Thanks, I wasn't sure about the diversity of our music genre. I'm guessing in the future we'll probably get more venues because of our growth. 

• Like 2

This might be substantial.  Apple Music is opening an office in Nashville. Not much detail as of yet.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/music-business/article/21002030/apple-music-to-establish-a-nashville-office

So is it likely this new office would choose office space downtown, and if so, where would they most likely choose? As a tangent, what is the current office absorption rate vs. eminent and proposed office construction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dReAmWiELdEr said:

So is it likely this new office would choose office space downtown, and if so, where would they most likely choose? As a tangent, what is the current office absorption rate vs. eminent and proposed office construction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midtown is also a good possibility, maybe the emery spectrum building, or that newly announced one on I believe 16th Avenue (can’t remember the name). 

• Like 2

Is anyone on the board familiar with Nashville's downtown sidewalk codes? A a resident who does quite a lot of walking through our fair city, it is becoming increasingly difficult to not land in traffic (with a dog) while navigating around. I love the construction activity  and the growth in Nashville, but with just a little more efforts the livability of the city during this boom could be drastically improved.

I encountered over 10 detours due to closed or obstructed sidewalks today alone.

Just outside my front door the entire sidewalk extending from Commerce to Church on 9th North is blocked. A bigger issue is the restaurants turning sidewalks into their own dinning-room. I love sidewalk cafes .... when the sidewalk is wide enough to allow such extravagance, but on many of our narrow sidewalks (with utility poles already obstructing the flow) and in a spot where tourists queue up to board the sight-seeing busses is a problem. 

20180424_112418.jpg

20180421_103337.jpg

http://www.wkrn.com/news/metro-council-passes-resolution-in-effort-to-manage-sidewalks-blocked-by-construction/1057685949

This is all I could find, but I can't find if anything came out of it. Construction doesn't block sidewalks in other large cities, it's just the city needs to make it safer for it's citizens and tell contractors to make sidewalk tunnels or just not block the damn sidewalks.

If you notice half the time they are using it for storage or parking. I could understand if they are doing construction under or on the sidewalk itself. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dale said:

Endangered species.

The country music industry tends to move a little slower than it could, which may be a good thing since it creates the “outlaw” mentality among those who aren’t following the trend. Hank Sr., Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Hank Jr, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, and the aforementioned Stapleton, Isbell, and Simpson weren’t accepted by the country establishment, and its their “f#%* you” mentality about it that gives them that edge that made/makes them great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dale said:

There is no such thing as Country Music anymore, just tattoed guys from California, wearing baseball caps backwards, singing about trucks to a pop-rock beat.

Haha, I definitely agree that the 'bro-country,' as I call it, is way more popular these days than it deserves to be.  Most of it is just objectively awful music... I mean, as far as I can tell, most of these artists are southerners, not guys from California, but they might as well be.

Anyway, as others have stated, all that aside, the real deal still exists today, and you don't have to look very far for it.  Chris Stapleton is incredible, for example.  I'm not even a huge country music fan, but I do have great respect for any artist that keeps it real and has a deep respect for authentic cultural traditions, and so far as I can see, there are a quite a few artists that fit that mold still today.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Dale said:

There is no such thing as Country Music anymore, just tattoed guys from California, wearing baseball caps backwards, singing about trucks to a pop-rock beat.

15 years ago, I would've said that your complaints would've been better directed at:   record labels,  media distributers - from record stores (RIP) to CMT to your local country radio station, the government officials who signed off on the mergers (then mega-mergers) of those media companies to consolidate the public 'airways' among a handful of players,  and the people that listen to and/or are influenced by what they're willing to accept via that media  - who apparently outnumber you and don't share your musical taste.   The invisible hand of the market is powerful, but it mostly sucks at playing guitar, you know what I mean?

These days, however, it's hard to blame anyone but yourself if you can't find artists who are making the kind of music you're looking for.  They're but a few clicks away.  And certainly don't blame the artists.  Plenty of them are making stuff that's right up your alley and they're very disappointed that you chose to air your grievances on a non-music-related message board instead of spending that time  seeking out the music they're creating which they are desperately doing everything they can think of to help you find.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flatrock said:

Agreed. Gimme some live Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, Margo Price or Jason Isbell - and I'm a dang happy camper! Goodness abounds in every genre.... :).

Going to see Margo at the Ryman next month, I can't wait. She's one of the leading edges in the resurgence of good country music! But yes, the vast majority of stuff these days that you hear blasting from bach bars is utter crap.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

http://www.wkrn.com/news/metro-council-passes-resolution-in-effort-to-manage-sidewalks-blocked-by-construction/1057685949

This is all I could find, but I can't find if anything came out of it. Construction doesn't block sidewalks in other large cities, it's just the city needs to make it safer for it's citizens and tell contractors to make sidewalk tunnels or just not block the damn sidewalks.

If you notice half the time they are using it for storage or parking. I could understand if they are doing construction under or on the sidewalk itself. 

From my experience in Boston, sidewalks can be blocked when two things come into play 1) temporary crosswalks installed at the beginning and the end of the construction interruption, and 2) permit fees increase dramatically. We had a couple major developments start up before I left the city and there were some serious problems with one as it was right at a busy intersection. Police are used almost every weekend to guide cars and people through it (hopefully at the expense of the developer)

14 hours ago, Flatrock said:

Agreed. Gimme some live Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, Margo Price or Jason Isbell - and I'm a dang happy camper! Goodness abounds in every genre.... :).

add in:
Lucero
Kacey Musgraves
Justin Townes Earle
Midland
Joshua Hedley
John Moreland
Caitlin Rose

• Like 2