Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

Nashville gets mentioned in a chart in this article by Richard Florida, about a subject which has been concerning me for some time.   Anti-Urban States Aren't Just Hurting Their Cities

Lol yeah totally, places like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Charlotte, and Nashville are just having a heck of a time attracting people and companies to relocate. What an idiotic article. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Lol yeah totally, places like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Charlotte, and Nashville are just having a heck of a time attracting people and companies to relocate. What an idiotic article. 

I don't think that's what the author meant when he references the "health" of a city.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but as I understood it, the basic premise of the article is essentially that when states invest in their cities, it shows in positive ways not just for the city being invested in, but for the state as a whole.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BnaBreaker said:

I don't think that's what the author was referring to when he references the "health" of a city.  

Yeah this sums it up:

Conversely, cities and metros benefit when they are located in states that work proactively to advance urban interests, and address their challenges. In this set of places, city and state interests are more aligned, and mutually reinforcing; each can benefit from a more cooperative state-local federalism.

Not sure what pdt disagrees with here. AirBNB legislation is a great example locally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lucy Kempf is the new Metro Planning Dept.'s executive director. She replaces Doug Sloan, who left the department in late 2017 to serve as chief legal officer with the Metro Nashville Airport Authority. She previously served as the department’s land development division manager.

Kempf joined the planning department in September 2016 after 10 years at the National Capital Planning Commission in Washington, D.C., last working as director of urban design and plan review.

More info at behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/people/article/21009438/planning-department-lands-executive-director

• Like 2

Just spent the weekend in Charlotte for my first visit and was very impressed.  The B of A and Duke power buildings are impressive in architectural style and height, much more so than any of our talls.  I don't like bashing our architecture like many do, but have to say we are significantly behind Charlotte.  The condos and apartments downtown or Uptown as they call it are also sharper and vary more than ours.  Their NFL stadium has brick and glass and has significantly more curb appeal than NIssan Stadium and is right downtown as is their relatively new AAA baseball park, which does look similar to First Tennessee Park here.  I love Nashville, but hate to admit that we are behind Charlotte and don't even get me started on how beautiful their high end mall is called South Park....all brick, heavily landscaped and has a very upscale consistent look, couldn't find one bill board like we have in GH.  

• Like 2