Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

The hotel offers a day pass option to their current pools and spa for those who are not hotel guests, but I believe the new attraction will be for registered guests only.

https://www.resortpass.com/gaylord-opryland-resort-and-convention-center?date=

https://www.marriott.com/hotel-info/bnago-gaylord-opryland-resort-and-convention-center/entertainment/4fve5ih/soundwaves.mi

I was not sure where to put this one as it could be CBD, West End or the Highwoods, TN site.

The Tennessean is moving into 2 1/2 floors of Palmer Plaza and the former TN building will come down.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/08/09/tennessean-new-location-nashville/934542002/

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

The Tennessean's staff has been shrinking dramatically over recent years. With Gannett running things, their product has been reduced greatly to a small number of pages with greater USA Today content. They moved their printing off site a few years ago. 

Do people still buy newspapers? 

A dwindling number do... but if you notice, even newspaper boxes are getting fewer and farther between. They still have newspapers at hotels, but don't deliver to your room anymore. You have to seek them out in the lobby. My parents still take the AJC b/c they want to know who has died. I'd guess the Obituaries (and local sports) are the main reasons printed editions are still in demand. 

Edited by MLBrumby

7 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I don't know how much actual office space is in their current building, but Palmer has a small footprint. This isn't a lot of space. The location isn't bad, but not exactly the center of downtown. 

As a Gannett employee up until October 2017, I can attest that the remaining staff definitely should fit in 2 1/2 floors of the Palmer building. Plus, keep in mind that the Tennessean is shutting down its press operations and will move printing to Knoxville, so the printing/sorting/distribution (which took up a significant space) will move out of Nashville. At last check, the entire print newspaper is designed off-site, advertising is designed off-site, and some of the news staff works off-site.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

As a Gannett employee up until October 2017, I can attest that the remaining staff definitely should fit in 2 1/2 floors of the Palmer building. Plus, keep in mind that the Tennessean is shutting down its press operations and will move printing to Knoxville, so the printing/sorting/distribution (which took up a significant space) will move out of Nashville. At last check, the entire print newspaper is designed off-site, advertising is designed off-site, and some of the news staff works off-site.

I don't know if this is true, but I heard one person state that the printing would be in Crossville 

8 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

I honestly don't see how newspapers stay in business.  I assume most will eventually go all online...but even then, I'm not sure how they will make enough money to have a staff that can truly cover everything.  As someone mentioned, I have a feeling most will come from "national" sources...like many Tennessean stories actually being from USA Today.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LA_TN said:

I don't know if this is true, but I heard one person state that the printing would be in Crossville 

Gannett doesn't own anything in Crossville.  It's going to Knoxville where Gannett inherited a brand-new, state-of-the-art printing facility when it bought the News Sentinel from Scripps.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/2018/04/04/printing-expands-knoxville-news-sentinel/484980002/

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bird Scooters, banished from Nashville for the present time, are causing chaos from coast to coast. Unhappy citizens in LA are taking matters to a new level in expressing their dissatisfaction with the disruption the dirty Birds are causing.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-bird-scooter-vandalism-20180809-htmlstory.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I took a couple of pictures to illustrate the ridiculous allowances that the city gives to developers in regards to sidewalk closures. These pictures were both taken from the northwest corner of KVB and 4th (the Omni was directly behind me) - one looking east down KVB and one looking south down 4th. In a safe, legal manner, it was impossible for me to go any direction except left towards downtown or back west towards 5th (which also had sidewalk closures due to the construction of oh-one-of-these-damn-hotels-I-can’t-tell-them-apart-anymore. I ended up running across KVB and chilling by the fencing until I could safely cross 4th. 

F2C4109D-C09E-450F-81BD-AB68E9FA2509.jpeg

1E8F3B3A-9119-4B81-9FC4-4E00D5C2A318.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1