Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

An interesting assessment from Credit Sesame of the 25 Metros with the highest disparity between wages and rents. Nashville was 10th and in the company of New York City, San Francisco, Boston, etc.

I know it's click bait, but it seemed to have a valid foundation for determining the impact of rent levels in metro areas. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

All of the buildings were built to be temporary-the Parthenon is there because it was beloved and reconstructed of more substantial materials.

Going by memory but the man who led the reconstruction of the Parthenon was offered a job to build one out of marble for the state of California. Maybe someone can look up his identity but he obviously refused, saying only Tennessee should have a Parthenon.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

All of the buildings were built to be temporary-the Parthenon is there because it was beloved and reconstructed of more substantial materials.

How can buildings that look like that with such size be temporary?  Not being sarcastic.  I truly would like to know!  I wish they were all permanent and still there.  Looks like it would be an amazing place to visit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

How can buildings that look like that with such size be temporary?  Not being sarcastic.  I truly would like to know!  I wish they were all permanent and still there.  Looks like it would be an amazing place to visit.

Think movie set, or stage scenery. Design and construction designed to fool the eye. (But not built to last.)

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I was thinking the same thing.  If all of those buildings were still standing in Centennial Park...it would be a great tourist attraction.

I would really love to have that structure with the orange roof and tall dome still standing.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I was thinking the same thing.  If all of those buildings were still standing in Centennial Park...it would be a great tourist attraction.

I would really love to have that structure with the orange roof and tall dome still standing.

Right?  These buildings could be like our Wash DC mall with state museums, archives, etc.   Hindsight tho.  Who knew?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I believe this is the building (from the bottom right corner of the photo above) known as the Knights of Pythias Pavilion which was relocated to Franklin, TN after the Exposition ended.

knights-of-pythias-pavilion-carlisle-house.png

I believe it’s now a private residence, located between downtown Franklin and Westhaven on new 96. 

• Like 1

Channel 4's Nancy Amons now has the mayor's office in her cross-hairs.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/mayor-s-staff-gets-raise-after-announcement-of-no-cost/article_128a3d0c-c0e7-11e8-95db-57ab5a36ca37.html

In a year where Metro Nashville’s rank and file employees learned they would not get their promised cost of living increases, Nashville Mayor David Briley gave merit raises to 20 members of his staff; two of whom received 6 percent increases.

One Briley staffer, Chief Strategy Officer Brian Kelsey, got a $7,178 raise, increasing his salary to $126,824. Briley also gave merit-based raises to his department heads.

Briley’s decision to reverse the cost of living adjustments - called COLAs - for Metro employees has created a lot of controversy and tension this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Ugh.  She needs to go work for some small town newspaper where they write articles about who brought what to the church potluck.  

While I despise the work she did on the fairgrounds issue, she does have a point with this, at least in regards to optics. Something about our mayors just makes them not understand how the public views stuff like this. First Barry with trying to cut services at Metro General while at the same time trying to get voters to approve a $5.4 billion transit plan, now Briley giving his staff big raises while the rest of metro employees get nothing. 

• Like 3