Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

On 10/13/2018 at 3:53 PM, Neigeville2 said:

I tried, but quickly bailed.  My capacity to endure incredibly bad poetry isn't what it used to be.

It's a social science/economics lesson.  What did you expect?  "Insert any economist joke here."

Perhaps you'd rather read about a pencil.

https://fee.org/resources/i-pencil/

16 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Only one I can think of is Tanger. 

And yes... per NBJ: https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/10/15/tanger-cements-land-deal-for-premium-outlet-mall.html

Going to Century Farms. 

While I would've preferred IKEA, this is a good consolation.  When I lived in Knoxville I always enjoyed going to the Tanger outlets in Sevierville.  This might be the death knell for what's left of the "premium" outlets in Lebanon, though.  (The "premium" name has been removed from their signage for a while now.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

While I would've preferred IKEA, this is a good consolation.  When I lived in Knoxville I always enjoyed going to the Tanger outlets in Sevierville.  This might be the death knell for what's left of the "premium" outlets in Lebanon, though.  (The "premium" name has been removed from their signage for a while now.)

They should abandon the whole outlet theme and rework the property as an alternate to Providence in Mt. Juliet. Renovate the retail, add some condos/apartments, a couple of sit down restaurants, a Publix.....

I know folks who grumble about the traffic at Providence.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Oh my...I was over there two weeks ago...taking a chance on the Nike store...not well done on my part.  It would be better off shut down and made some apocalyptic amusement/park thriller because it felt like the Walking Dead were coming to get Barbara over there.

Afterall, I just noticed today on my way back from Donelson a shiny, vinyl "Halloween City" banner overlayed atop the interstate signage.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

... a Publix....

Rumor has been circulating, for a while, that Kroger will move from its current location, at Bell & Mt. View when their lease expires. Guess where they want to move to? But this is totally rumor at this point

• Like 2

On 10/16/2018 at 7:56 AM, jmtunafish said:

Oldacre musta offered some deals to Tanger cuz that would have been better suited off I-840.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PHofKS said:

I used it to estimate the height of the 32 story Nashville Yards proposed office building and then did my own estimate based on examination of the renderings in which the first three floors looked like double the height and the extended walls on the roof looked to be 4 floors tall giving it equivalency to a 39 story building. Thus 39 x 12.7 = 495.3 ft.

How did your estimate compare to theirs?  In other words, what grade did the teacher give you?     :tw_grimace:

3 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

How did your estimate compare to theirs?  In other words, what grade did the teacher give you?     :tw_grimace:

Their calculator suggested 468'. There was no allowance for extra  floor height of mechanical space.

I suspect this is probably what Emporis uses when actual heights are not known.

• Like 1

Charles Robert Bone, the newly appointed chairman of MDHA. He think's it's pretty unlikely that the board he now leads would give developers incentives for potential projects downtown.  Here are some highlights from an interview he did with NBJ yesterday:

He warns against shutting off the spigot for what has become the city's most potent tool for sparking economic development, simply because its economy is booming and hoards of developers and real estate investors are vying to build an array of high-end condos, hotels and office buildings.

"You're banking on the increase in property taxes that wouldn't happen otherwise." This echoes Bone's previous point. He highlighted the ripple effect of incentivizing a particular project: "People never think about whether there was something developed at the site next-door because of that. They never think about how it can raise the property values in that immediate area."

"We spend an enormous amount of time defending TIF, explaining what it does, when all we really want to do is put our head down and tackle housing. We have the ability to impact change in this city, when it comes to housing, at a scale larger than any other group." It's something of an oddity that MDHA is the agency awarding this incentive, though that's how state law prescribes it. MDHA's main focus is public housing, assisting 13,500 low-income families by providing a place to live or a voucher toward such housing, Bone said. "Ninety-plus percent of what MDHA does is housing in this community for those who need it the most," Bone said.

"Our intent is to resolve the tension in the community about TIF and how incentives are deployed. The more the public understands the intent of TIF, that should create confidence that it's being used appropriately." Bone added that "it's incumbent upon us to open up MDHA and do a better job communicating."

"It's hard to foresee something in the near future for the Gulch or downtown. But there may be a project that comes along that has overwhelming public support." Bone cautioned against undercutting TIF just because of the "It City" boom. "There are districts we have that need assistance, where great things can happen," he said. "And we don't know what the next 10 years are going to look like. We want to see our momentum continue in a responsible way."

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/10/22/new-mdha-chairman-money-for-developers-is-the.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know this is really random but i dont know where else to ask this question. Is it possible to vote absentee in tennessee for this upcoming election (since i live in england) or is it too late now? This is a general question and not politically motivated, i am trying to vote as an american because i see too many people my age not care about voting which is sad regardless or what side your on. Again sorry if this is random

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

I know this is really random but i dont know where else to ask this question. Is it possible to vote absentee in tennessee for this upcoming election (since i live in england) or is it too late now? This is a general question and not politically motivated, i am trying to vote as an american because i see too many people my age not care about voting which is sad regardless or what side your on. Again sorry if this is random

3. What is the process for requesting the by-mail ballot?

You must submit a written request containing the information below to your local county election commission office by the seventh day before Election Day. You can use the absentee ballot request form (https://sos-tn-gov-files.s3.amazonaws.com/5 Request for Absentee Ballot.pdf) to make sure all required information is provided.

Davidson
Administrator: Jeff Roberts
Mailing Address: P O BOX 650
Nashville 
37202-0650
Address: 1417 Murfreesboro Pike
Metro Southeast 
Nashville
Phone: 615.862.8800
Fax: 615.862.8810
Email: [email protected]
Web Site: nashville.gov/vote

You can submit your written request for an absentee ballot by mail, fax, or e-mail. If e-mailing your request, be sure the attached document contains the information below and your scanned signature. 

1. Name of the registered voter
  2. Address of the voter's residence
  3. Voter's social security number
  4. Voter's date of birth
  5. Address to mail the ballot
  6. The election in which the voter wishes to participate. If the election involves a primary, the political party in which the voter wishes to participate.
  7. Reason the voter wishes to vote absentee. If applicable, a copy of the CDL containing the CDL number or the TWIC card must be included in the voter’s request.
  8. Voter's signature

A request that contains this information will be processed and a ballot will be mailed to the voter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, markhollin said:

"Our intent is to resolve the tension in the community about TIF and how incentives are deployed. The more the public understands the intent of TIF, that should create confidence that it's being used appropriately." Bone added that "it's incumbent upon us to open up MDHA and do a better job communicating."

Bone cautioned against undercutting TIF just because of the "It City" boom. "There are districts we have that need assistance, where great things can happen," he said. "And we don't know what the next 10 years are going to look like. We want to see our momentum continue in a responsible way."

Like most things in life, more communication is better.  I know I for one would appreciate knowing more about how MDHA works for Nashville.

Thanks much, Mark, for all you do for our city and our UP community!

• Like 1