Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

The issue is for many of us is that while we agree with legislation enacted to prevent voter fraud, the ramifications of such legislation make it more difficult for minority groups, university students, and the elderly from participating in democracy. I will leave this here as I do not intend to create a political firestorm among our liberal and conservative members.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

The issue is for many of us is that while we agree with legislation enacted to prevent voter fraud, the ramifications of such legislation make it more difficult for minority groups, university students, and the elderly from participating in democracy. I will leave this here as I do not intend to create a political firestorm among our liberal and conservative members.

This is the reason our government needs to find a way to work together instead of blaming one another because there is distrust on both sides.  We need to make voting super easy for everyone....while also making it nearly impossible for fraud to exist.  It's a tall order to expect the two to co-exist (high % of voters with no fraud)...but it's what we should strive for for integrity and participation.

• Thanks 2

Just now, titanhog said:

This is the reason our government needs to find a way to work together instead of blaming one another because there is distrust on both sides.  We need to make voting super easy for everyone....while also making it nearly impossible for fraud to exist.  It's a tall order to expect the two to co-exist (high % of voters with no fraud)...but it's what we should strive for for integrity and participation.

Yep... One can dream.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, titanhog said:

Personally...even though I don't care for standing in line, I like to know they've checked me off and I've actually stood at the machine and pushed all the buttons and know when I leave there, there's a good chance my vote will be counted.  I'm a little leery of mailing in a ballot and knowing for sure it got there, was properly processed and is counted.  I do, however, like the ease.

I'm hopeful there will come a day where there is some type of technological advance that allows each of us to easily vote from home, knowing without a doubt that we're counted and secure.  (yes...may be too much to ask...but would surely increase the number of Americans who would vote).

In Oregon you can get a text automatically when your ballot is counted.

The thing about fraud, is with individual paper ballots it would have to be done on a massive scale to make any difference.  Electronically, the possibility for fraud is very real, especially since our elections are managed by partisan officeholders (the secretary of state of each state,)   In a couple of states this year,  the secretary of state is running for governor, a ridiculous conflict of interest that can only inspire distrust.  

The British also have an excellent paper ballot system where the ballots are kept at the polling station in sight of everyone in the center of the room, and when the polls close, the pollwatchers (one from each party is always present) sit at a table and count the ballots together.  They always know the outcome of every election within a couple of hours.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

In Oregon you can get a text automatically when your ballot is counted.

The thing about fraud, is with individual paper ballots it would have to be done on a massive scale to make any difference.  Electronically, the possibility for fraud is very real, especially since our elections are managed by partisan officeholders (the secretary of state of each state,)   In a couple of states this year,  the secretary of state is running for governor, a ridiculous conflict of interest that can only inspire distrust.  

The British also have an excellent paper ballot system where the ballots are kept at the polling station in sight of everyone in the center of the room, and when the polls close, the pollwatchers (one from each party is always present) sit at a table and count the ballots together.  They always know the outcome of every election within a couple of hours.

I do agree that a paper trail is needed and wise.  Always good to have.  Matter of fact...even a paper ballot you can mail in with a thumb print or something would be good (I think...I haven't really thought that one through :D)

8 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

Electronically, the possibility for fraud is very real...

Hugo Chavez was first elected in Venezuela by a fair election.  He immediately exerted control over the electronic voting system to build his power base.  Of course, he didn't have to learn the manipulation process from scratch; he copied Iran and other countries known for such things.  Makes paper voting sound very appealing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

I think the idea is for everyone to get a day off.

I know, but lets be real here, only the government would take advantage of that. Well maybe schools and banks/financial sector. Majority don't get many federal holidays off in the first place. (MLK, Presidents, Columbus, Veterans)

Polls are open 7 to 7 in TN, many dates of early voting and absentee ballots are also available. There is no reason to burden the taxpayers with the cost of another Federal holiday and no excuse for not voting except for laziness or lack of interest!

Edited by donNdonelson2
Clarification
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Shocked that the story made national news yesterday.

It did?  On the day following the midterm elections?  National news directors think a story from Nashville is that interesting?  I guess we really are "It City."

• Like 1