Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I agree... In-N-Out is so overrated... in terms of overrated chains it's right up there with.... CHIK-FIL-A!  :hi:

giphy.gif

I am glad somebody said it! Personally, I think Chik-Fil-A is overpriced. It's kind of like Starbucks to me. Sure, I'll consume it and finish thinking whatever I bought tasted good, but was it ultimately worth the money? At places like Sonic or Cookout you really can get full for so little. It takes eight dollars worth of Chik-Fil-A to kick my hunger.

Btw, let me stir this pot a little more by saying Chipotle is the most overrated chain in America. I will never understand why people love that place.

Edited by nativetenn
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

SONIC is the boss of southern fast food. All hail the mecca of teenage hangouts, scheduled fistfights and the take-out bags that always have a couple extra tater tots at the bottom even though you didn't order them. Admit it, you eat those two loose tater tots too.

Funny on the scheduled fistfights.  I sometimes post on an Arkansas Razorbacks sports message board (I grew up in Arkansas...don't hold it against me)...and they're always saying, "if you don't like it, I'll meet you at the Alma Sonic and we'll settle this."  You're the first person in TN that I've heard echo that sentiment. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, titanhog said:

Funny on the scheduled fistfights.  I sometimes post on an Arkansas Razorbacks sports message board (I grew up in Arkansas...don't hold it against me)...and they're always saying, "if you don't like it, I'll meet you at the Alma Sonic and we'll settle this."  You're the first person in TN that I've heard echo that sentiment. :D

You probably have never heard it here because you live amongst the Williamson Co. northernfolk. I say that because I grew up in Williamson County and never heard the phrases I heard all the time from my family in rural Middle Tennessee and Appalachia. 

Every Tennessee country boy knows where to brawl. For drunken brawls,  it's a Waffle House parking lot.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

You probably have never heard it here because you live amongst the Williamson Co. northernfolk. I say that because I grew up in Williamson County and never heard the phrases I heard all the time from my family in rural Middle Tennessee and Appalachia. 

Every Tennessee country boy knows where to brawl. For drunken brawls,  it's a Waffle House parking lot.

I'd hate to hear what goes down in the Wal Mart parking lot. :huh:

I feel like it still hasn't completely dawned on me that the Nashville area added at least over 6000 new jobs to the area within less than a week. Coupled with the alliancebernstein  announcement, that is over 7000 not to mention possible future expansions or indirect creation of jobs. To give people perspective, Winston-Salem (where my aunt lives and is a very underrated city ) has only added around  1000-2000 total jobs this year. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I agree... In-N-Out is so overrated... in terms of overrated chains it's right up there with.... CHIK-FIL-A!  :hi:

giphy.gif

You can't meme gif your own diss. :tw_lol:

And what's with the bandwagon hate for Chik-Fil-A. It's incredible. Has anyone tried the Shake Shack in Green Hills? I've never had it before and it was incredible!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nativetenn said:

Is there a way for metro / metro area to team up with local colleges and tech schools to improve this?  To create programs and recruit nationally to bring in high school graduates, kinda like our music schools at Belmont and MTSU do?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Is there a way for metro / metro area to team up with local colleges and tech schools to improve this?  To create programs and recruit nationally to bring in high school graduates, kinda like our music schools at Belmont and MTSU do?

That's a great question. I am also curious if an enhanced focus on STEM programs in Tennessee high schools will result from all of these major companies coming to the state. Most of them are flocking to Middle Tennessee, and I would guess they will play an increased role in fostering education in the region.

Take a look at WKRN's listing of the largest business deals in Middle Tennessee since 1990. All of these companies are in the following sectors:

- Accounting, banking and insurance

- Tech manufacturing

- Automotive

- Logistics

I presume the integration of these companies in our region will have a say in the quality of our education. And that is an excellent thing. I would love to see better funding for public school programs in Metro Schools and rural Middle Tennessee counties.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/weekend-extra/10-of-the-biggest-business-deals-in-middle-tennessee-since-1990/1601507549

Edited by nativetenn
Grammar
  • Like 2

Remains to be seen...i've been pleading with Zeppos for years to start an academic center for under and grad studies for media and communications for nearly a decade, and they would have none of it. They view it as beneath a top liberal arts university. If amazon can't make the point, then Belmont will have to be alone there...and they will likely do it. They're already kicking Vandy butt in many areas of music and business. I'd expect the state to seed similar programs with the state universities....wouldnt even be surprised if tsu st campus becomes their computer/media campus. It's all going to take huge mats of money, and they're behind the curve. Vandy has the money but they seem lot more interested in building hogwartses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Okay just because Nashville (or Charlotte for that matter or anywhere on the east coast) does not have have In N Out Burger does not mean it is not good.  It is fantastic and my favorite go to place out west  and now in Texas along the I-35 corridor coming soon to Houston.   Will always swing by one if I see one.  Plus with their hidden secret menu you have even more combinations of food.  Their food is fresh never frozen, hand leafed lettuce cut right in view.  Great fast food burger for sure.  Much better than the higher price Shake Shack that I hear is recently opened  in Nashville.  Overrated?  No sir! 

KJ the Burger Guy

Photo is of a double double animal style and extra crispy fries (secret menu) 

IMG_8049.JPG

IMG_8052.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, e-dub said:

Is that 1000 island dressing on the bottom bun, @KJHburg?

They call it "animal sauce" to make it sound interesting, but yeah, it's just thousand island dressing for all intents and purposes... and personally, I don't want that crap anywhere near my burger!  Also to clarify, I don't think In N' Out is bad... I just think it's overrated.  It's a solid fast food burger.  That's it... but it's devotees talk about it like it's some ethereal, otherworldly, almost spiritual experience.  lol

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

Until In-N-Out does a pimento cheese and hickory bacon burger, this southerner is not impressed.

Jk. I've never actually eaten In-N-Out. I'm sure it's delicious. Those burgers look great. I'll bet you can really taste the freshness of the vegetables if you dine in CA, where most of the produce doesn't have to be frozen before consumption.

I confess I have only been to California on one occassion, and that trip was only for two days.

Edited by nativetenn
Readability
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

Until In-N-Out does a pimento cheese and hickory bacon burger, this southerner is not impressed.

Jk. I've never actually eaten In-N-Out. I'm sure it's delicious. Those burgers look great. I'll bet you can really taste the freshness of the vegetables if you dine in CA, where most of the produce doesn't have to be frozen before consumption.

I confess I have only been to California on one occassion, and that trip was only for two days.

Yes here in Charlotte pimento cheese is popular on burgers too.   and yes the veggies are really fresh in California for sure.  

• Like 2