Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I was so excited to try In-N-Out.  And then so unimpressed.  I figured it was a fluke, so I tried it again a few days later.  Same reaction.  Third time's a charm, right?  Nope.  Still reminded me too much of Sonic.  Not that it's a bad thing. But if I wanted a Sonic burger, I'd just as soon go to Sonic.  And I'd much rather go to Cook Out, thank you very much.  Or Culver's!  Culver's is a bajillion times better than In-N-Out.  I'm ecstatic that Nashville has Culver's and am absolutely indifferent about In-N-Out.

"In-N-Out is Crushingly Disappointing" (I didn't write this article but easily could have.)

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/in-n-out-burger-menu-is-disappointing#

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll jump in here. I’m a fan of In-N-Out. I love it. My few short years in California included countless trips to one and I seek them out whenever I travel out west. 

Having confessed my love for In-N-Out, I don’t think it’s the best burger in the world. Hell, I can think of a handful of places in east Nashville with better burgers. But, IMO, In-N-Out is one of the best amongst their competition. Fast, cheap food.  The quality is high, it comes through in the taste and it’s consistenly good. The In-N-Out experience in Pasadena is just like the one in west Oakland, Fisherman’s Wharf or the Vegas Strip. Friendly staff, fresh food, and clean tables. You won’t find a slapped together burger on a smashed bun, that looks nothing like the picture. It’s the same everywhere, and it’s never frozen. Whenever I would take a first-timer to one of their locations, I would always tell them “forget what you’ve heard. It’s not life changing. But I promise it will be good.”

I think part of the reason I’ve fallen in love with Hugh Baby’s is it’s resemblance to I-N-O.  

Edit: Having said all that, I will say that my wife never cared for it. To each, their own. 

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nashvillwill said:

I’ll jump in here. I’m a fan of In-N-Out. I love it. My few short years in California included countless trips to one and I seek them out whenever I travel out west. 

Having confessed my love for In-N-Out, I don’t think it’s the best burger in the world. Hell, I can think of a handful of places in east Nashville with better burgers. But, IMO, In-N-Out is one of the best amongst their competition. Fast, cheap food.  The quality is high, it comes through in the taste and it’s consistenly good. The In-N-Out experience in Pasadena is just like the one in west Oakland, Fisherman’s Wharf or the Vegas Strip. Friendly staff, fresh food, and clean tables. You won’t find a slapped together burger on a smashed bun, that looks nothing like the picture. It’s the same everywhere, and it’s never frozen. Whenever I would take a first-timer to one of their locations, I would always tell them “forget what you’ve heard. It’s not life changing. But I promise it will be good.”

I think part of the reason I’ve fallen in love with Hugh Baby’s is it’s resemblance to I-N-O.  

Edit: Having said all that, I will say that my wife never cared for it. To each, their own. 

Now this folks... THIS... is what you call a fair assessment.  :good:

I really liked Smashburger, then the one in Murfreesboro closed. :tw_angry:But we do have a Jack Brown's and those are probably the best restaurant hamburgers I've had. Awesome quirky menu too. Also one that a lot of people don't know about is Fleming's on West End. Of course they have delicious steaks, but if you want a cheap meal, it's surprisingly here. $12 will get you a bacon cheeseburger (a damn good one at that), homemade chips and two beers at the bar during happy hour. Relatively quick (use the valet) if you have something you're going to do downtown

One of my old co-workers is from Cali and used to talk about In-N-Out burger all the time. He said Burger Shack near Nolensville is almost a carbon copy of their food. I have never had In-N-Out, so I can't confirm.  Burger Shack is good but I wouldn't go all hype fan boy over it.

Edited by bigeasy

12 hours ago, titanhog said:

A burger that a friend in Alabama introduced me to (fast food) is a restaurant called Jack's.  As far as I know, they're only in Alabama and very southern middle TN (there's one in Fayetteville).  Good, greasy burger and awesome fries every time.

bessemer-jacks-a68a7d2c4e9b8a8b.jpg

Used to run a route in northern Alabama and would go there. It is good, and those fries are sprinkled with crack. Stop by the one in Lawrenceburg whenever I go to Mississippi. Wish they'd come up here.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, titanhog said:

A burger that a friend in Alabama introduced me to (fast food) is a restaurant called Jack's.  As far as I know, they're only in Alabama and very southern middle TN (there's one in Fayetteville).  Good, greasy burger and awesome fries every time.

1 hour ago, satalac said:

Used to run a route in northern Alabama and would go there. It is good, and those fries are sprinkled with crack. Stop by the one in Lawrenceburg whenever I go to Mississippi. Wish they'd come up here.

There's a location in Chattanooga and one in Jackson as well, I stop at both when gallivanting around the state.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

I wish everyone a happy thanksgiving as well and am crossing my fingers for continuing future responsible growth and development. I can’t eat anything this time around because of an ongoing colorectal issue lol but instead i will be thankful that this forum is still active and full of wonderful people.

All the best to you and offering up a prayer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

I wish everyone a happy thanksgiving as well and am crossing my fingers for continuing future responsible growth and development. I can’t eat anything this time around because of an ongoing colorectal issue lol but instead i will be thankful that this forum is still active and full of wonderful people.

I’m sorry, that sounds like a real pain in the ass. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

Praying for you! 

• Thanks 1