smeagolsfree

Nashville Bits and Pieces

22 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Nashville is a 497 sq. miles due to its consolidation with Davidson County into one Metro Government.  Columbus is 217 sq. miles, inside of Franklin County's 544 sq. miles...but Columbus has expanded greatly in its square mileage over the decades, encompassing most of the urban sprawl as opposed to the surrounding suburbs (which have also grown, but not at the pace as Columbus proper). 

Another reason for Columbus having a slightly shorter commute time is they have about 4 times  as much freeway mileage in Franklin County as Davidson County. There are 7 spokes feeding into their downtown, compared to Nashville's 4.  Also, their I-270 outer belt completely encircles the city within Franklin County.  Whereas Nashville 's half-complete I-840 doesn't even touch Davidson County.

But, trust me, there are plenty of people in Columbus that gripe loud and long about their traffic issues as well.  I-270 on the north side gets really bogged down during rush hours, as do segments of I-71 and the Olentangy Expressway on the north side, and I-70 on the east side.   And their inner belt around downtown gets just as jammed as Nashville's.  

Des Moines average commute time is 18.3 minutes and I’ll bet they gripe about traffic. Nashville seems to agree with me that you don’t need to spend $9 billion on transit improvements when $9 million will do just fine.

40 minutes ago, Dale said:

Des Moines average commute time is 18.3 minutes and I’ll bet they gripe about traffic. Nashville seems to agree with me that you don’t need to spend $9 billion on transit improvements when $9 million will do just fine.

Dale,

people will always complain about their commute. He gave you reasons why the numbers are what they are, I’d stop arguing!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Dale,

people will always complain about their commute. He gave you reasons why the numbers are what they are, I’d stop arguing!

Yes, I expected the peanut gallery to chime in. I just don’t get why I encounter #Resist when I suggest that Nashville doesn’t suck so bad and that it shouldn’t take what we all know is never going to happen to suck even less. Just look at Columbus. In fact, your city officials have.