Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Don't forget Centennial Park.  And Beltline.
My hometown sold its soul a long time ago. Very little  unique about it is left. As Gertrude Stein said, 'there is no there there.'

Yes... I’ve never been happy with living here (after 3 1/2 years) and want to come home to Nashville! The statement about Atlanta’s “soul” is the most succinct and true statement I myself could summon about it.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I swear, Atlanta just refuses to let other southern cities have any shine... first they built an aquarium after Chattanooga, then they built their own "Gulch" neighborhood, now this?  They even stole the College Football Hall of Fame from my parents' small home city of South Bend, Indiana... like, what does Atlanta have to do with college football?  Ugh.  

That's why I hate all things Atlanta.  I will say though GT was a power house in football only rivaled in the south by Bama before they left the SEC; true story.  I hate the Brave's (Hate, hate and hate again), Falcon's, Hawk's or whatever team they have.  They try to shove there product down the whole South's throat.  "The capital of the South," "Your local team" or "The team of the South" and now something like this.  They're four freaking hour's away... that's not local...? 

Edited by L'burgnative
  • Thanks 1

^^^^ Oh my we have a problem here. If any city in the south outside of Nashville has country music roots it is Charlotte! Yeah that Charlotte with the really tall buildings and banks. 

We had a clear channel radio station too 1110 WBT however due to another station in Nebraska or somewhere the 100K watt station goes north and south only at night.  That is one reason  why country music migrated to Nashville was the WSM radio and the Grand Ole Opry.  But we really did record a lot of country music in Charlotte too.

https://www.historysouth.org/recordedinclt/

https://www.historysouth.org/rumblearticle/

Charlotte was the country music capital from 1920s to mid 1940s when Nashville took over.

https://www.historysouth.org/recordingclthanchett/

So I agree Atlanta needs to drop this or it will be 2 against 1      Nashville and Charlotte vs the ATL   Lets get ready rumble.    Panthers over Falcons and Hornets over the Hawks that is what we think in Charlotte. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And Charlotte has even less character than Atlanta. 

Remarkable how people forget the country music mantle was mocked and passed over by every other southerncity of any size for 70 years. Then all of a sudden it was cool, and everyone wanted a piece. The only thing both more redneck and lucrative was NASCAR.  By that point, Atlanta was all grown up.  So divide and conquer...c&w music to music City...and fast chevies and Ford's to the southern version of Motown.

Edited by MLBrumby

To be fair, I think Atlanta has plenty of character if you know where to look for it... I have a lot of fond memories in the city.  Those little eclectic neighborhoods, however, tend to get way overshadowed by the large glassy towers and twenty lane freeways and luxury mega malls, and I think the more outspoken residents of Atlanta are largely to blame because those are the things they generally like to value and brag about over anything.  They believe they're number one in the south at everything, full stop, and if any other city makes them feel threatened they tend to get very defensive.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Atlanta. Their rave scene back in the 90s was bigger than Nashville's (which was always 3rd in the south, IMO - behind Atlanta and NOLA) so I have tons of great memories from back then. I was crushed when I heard about the So So Def billboard coming down, too.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2018 at 10:03 AM, fishsticks176 said:

So I was walking past yesterday and I noticed that PSC cleared out several lots along Davidson St. I’m not sure what this means or if it  means anything, but these lots have always been piled high with vehicles and other scrap metal and this is the first I’ve ever seen them cleared out. Has there been any progress with their relocation efforts?

Flying The X Files GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

And Charlotte has even less character than Atlanta. 

Remarkable how people forget the country music mantle was mocked and passed over by every other southerncity of any size for 70 years. Then all of a sudden it was cool, and everyone wanted a piece. The only thing both more redneck and lucrative was NASCAR.  By that point, Atlanta was all grown up.  So divide and conquer...c&w music to music City...and fast chevies and Ford's to the southern version of Motown.

Come over for a visit and I prove you very wrong.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1