Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Same here.  I learned in B-school first year that all corporate taxes are passed on to the customer.  But to avoid any surprises, I'd like to see tax and other surcharge information noted at the bottom. Just as you see now that a tip will be automatically added under certain conditions. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

Personally I like the transparency of listing taxes separately .... everyone should be aware when their pockets are trying to be picked.....then it is a more voluntary transaction if the purchase moves forward.

In the UK the value added tax (basically sales tax) is included in the marked price, and then broken down in the receipt. Seems to work pretty well and makes budgeting at the grocery store that much easier, since you don't have to hunt down what the local sales tax is.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, TNinVB said:

Does anyone know if WTVF did away with Skycam? For the longest time on their website the cams hadn’t been refreshed  and now they are no longer available. I’ve noticed that the cams still appear to be mounted on the spire if the Batman building.  

Not sure, but none of them are working and all of their SkyNet cams stopped on December 11th. 

5 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

That's a lot. Will believe the Embassy project when I see it. Also, is there any reason to believe the Hensler tower will get started this year? 

No, I messed that up. I was thinking of the office project that is ongoing  adjacent to the Hensler condo project. I switched that to Peabody Plaza in my list now.

I also failed to mention the Federal Courthouse beginning to rise and added it in.

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 2

Question:  Is there a widely-accepted definition of "urban"...as far as the difference between urban and suburban when it comes to persons per square mile?  Also...what parts of Davidson County do you consider urban / suburban...and are there any other true "urban" areas within the Nashville Metro area?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Question:  Is there a widely-accepted definition of "urban"...as far as the difference between urban and suburban when it comes to persons per square mile?  Also...what parts of Davidson County do you consider urban / suburban...and are there any other true "urban" areas within the Nashville Metro area?

I suppose it's fairly subjective, but my personal definition has less to do with density figures and more to do with how pedestrian friendly an area is and how the buildings address the street, among other things.  For example, much of the suburban sprawl in the desert southwest is relatively dense, but it's still suburban sprawl.  On the other hand, I would consider a traditional walkable gridded street fronted with single family homes like you'd find in some areas of East Nashville to be more "urban" than, say, a community of insular housing project apartment blocks, even though the density numbers on the latter are likely far higher.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I suppose it's fairly subjective, but my personal definition has less to do with density figures and more to do with how pedestrian friendly an area is and how the buildings address the street, among other things.  For example, much of the suburban sprawl in the desert southwest is relatively dense, but it's still suburban sprawl.  On the other hand, I would consider a traditional walkable gridded street fronted with single family homes like you'd find in some areas of East Nashville to be more "urban" than, say, a community of insular housing project apartment blocks, even though the density numbers on the latter are likely far higher.

So really, even some of the areas near downtown Franklin would have an urban feel to you...right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

So really, even some of the areas near downtown Franklin would have an urban feel to you...right?

Yeah for sure, downtown Franklin and some of the old residential neighborhoods around it would be, in my mind, "urban" in nature... again, just my own personal perception at work there... but many of Chicago's suburbs like Evanston for example are what I would consider "urban" for the most part, even though they're technically suburbs. 

• Like 1

That's a great illustration to use for those folks who love to cast aspersions at the fact the city is defined by the county lines (i.e. Metro) when comparing city sizes. It clearly shows the huge swath northwest of the core that is so sparsely populated. But there's a lot of density everywhere else. There must be some methodology behind the changing of color from blue to green in the area around Smyrna. 

Edit: I think I understand the change of colors now. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

That's a great illustration to use for those folks who love to cast aspersions at the fact the city is defined by the county lines (i.e. Metro) when comparing city sizes. It clearly shows the huge swath northwest of the core that is so sparsely populated. But there's a lot of density everywhere else. There must be some methodology behind the changing of color from blue to green in the area around Smyrna. 

Edit: I think I understand the change of colors now. 

It seems to me, in many ways, that Nashville all the way to Murfreesboro is just one large urban extension of the same "piece", especially considering the growth of Antioch, Cane Ridge, Lavergne, Smyrna and M'boro.  That's not to say there aren't "suburban" failures all along the way (especially lack of walkability)...but that also exists all throughout areas close to downtown as well.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 3:53 PM, jmtunafish said:

Here's how "urban" is defined by the Census Bureau:

In order for a block to qualify as urban, it must have a density of 1,000 people per square mile (ppsm). Using an automated process, qualifying blocks are aggregated to form a central core area. Once the initial identification process is concluded, a second automated pass is initiated with a lower density threshold, 500 ppsm. This aids in identifying blocks that do not meet the initial density threshold, but may contain a mix of residential and nonresidential land use (parks, schools, commercial, retail, or industrial uses), and therefore should be included within the urban area.

https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/reference/ua/Defining_Rural.pdf

Contiguous urban blocks that reach a population of 50,000 are urbanized areas (and are part of metropolitan areas).  Contiguous urban blocks that have populations less than 50,000 but above 2,500 are called "urban clusters."  Here's how the Nashville area looked in 2010:

image.png.04876eb95de6e95e7299a75132f76fcc.png

Spring Hill

34 minutes ago, e-dub said:

Bit of a jump, huh? Also, welcome!

Just a little. And thank you. 

I’m a Nashvillian. Born and raised. Grew up in Franklin. Now live in SH because it’s cheaper and I’m the one paying for it. 

I can remember when I was in HS around 2006, Spring Hill was what Thompson station is today. Now it’s pushing 40k. Crazy to see 

• Like 4