Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

40 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Nashvillians, I wonder sometimes if you good people know what's about to happen to your beautiful city. Here's the 'one' before 'the one' before 'the last one'... and it's not even up and running. More on Alliance Bernstein, and their very huge plans for Nashville... https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/2019/01/28/alliancebernstein-bring-private-wealth-group-nashville-considers-local-investment-team-ceo-says/2702244002/

AllianceBernstein, a New York-based global investment management firm moving its headquarters to Nashville, is planning a private wealth group in Nashville and is considering adding a local investment team, according to CEO Seth Bernstein.

The firm announced in May that it expects to bring 1,050 jobs to Nashville in a $70 million investment. 

From the article...referring to Nashville.

"We think there are real growth opportunities here."

Above and beyond what's already going on?

• Like 1

Nashville's construction rush continues:

“The banks tapped the brakes and said, ‘We’re overbuilt here, so let’s slow down the lending.’ It seemed like it was flattening out a little bit in our business,” says Wood Caldwell, a principal at Southeast Venture, a brokerage and developer.

“Until Amazon came along,” Caldwell added. “The optimism, it just spiked back up.”

Turner Construction's  forecast also strikes a positive tone: “The volume of large construction activity continues to rise in Nashville across multiple market segments and will remain healthy through 2019. The full impact of the Amazon announcement remains to be seen but has already contributed to optimism around projects in the preconstruction pipeline launching in 2019.”

The boom has become so pervasive that Caldwell expects “in all these fringe areas, that’s where the most growth is going to occur” — speaking of places such as Donelson or Charlotte Park, in West Nashville.

“Because of the jobs that have been created, there will be more emphasis in the residential portion of the commercial development than before,” Caldwell said. “We still have all these people moving into town.”

As for the big question of when the blitz of construction will slow, Caldwell chuckled.

“I don’t know,” he said. “I can’t answer that.”

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/01/31/breaking-new-ground-nashville-projects-to-watch-in.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anyone watch the Top Chef episode from Music City? As usual, OLD pics of the city. The downtown shots they used were (what?) 8 years old... the Pinnacle building was u/c and on like the fourth floor. The CMHOF was in its original iteration and they used photos of the old convention center. Ridiculous, but I blame the Chamber of Commerce, or whatever department worked with the show's producers. You have to INSIST they use recent shots. The city has changed so much. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Anyone watch the Top Chef episode from Music City? As usual, OLD pics of the city. The downtown shots they used were (what?) 8 years old... the Pinnacle building was u/c and on like the fourth floor. The CMHOF was in its original iteration and they used photos of the old convention center. Ridiculous, but I blame the Chamber of Commerce, or whatever department worked with the show's producers. You have to INSIST they use recent shots. The city has changed so much. 

Yeah, I was pretty annoyed too.  I think it's safe to say that the best of Nashville was definitely NOT on display in that episode.  It didn't make us look bad by any means, but still, if you're using a pre-Pinnacle skyline shot then you might as well be using a skyline shot from the mid-nineties, and as you said, the city has changed SO much since then.   There were, however, some nice views of the city from the judging table at the end of the show from their perch in Sky restaurant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Yeah, I was pretty annoyed too.  I think it's safe to say that the best of Nashville was definitely NOT on display in that episode.  It didn't make us look bad by any means, but still, if you're using a pre-Pinnacle skyline shot then you might as well be using a skyline shot from the mid-nineties, and as you said, the city has changed SO much since then.   There were, however, some nice views of the city from the judging table at the end of the show from their perch in Sky restaurant.

I was watching the first Preds game on NBCSN this season and they showed a skyline shot with the Pinnacle building under construction. To make matters worse, it was a night video that lead you to believe that it was a live shot of downtown. I was surprised that they kept videos for that long. They did show some updated shots later on in the broadcast.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:43 AM, nashvylle said:

nice shot of downtown from 2005

I will never understand how some people get social media jobs. Nashville Tennessee twitter recently posted an image of downtown that didn't show any of SOBRO and 505 wasn't even complete.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, bigeasy said:

I will never understand how some people get social media jobs. Nashville Tennessee twitter recently posted an image of downtown that didn't show any of SOBRO and 505 wasn't even complete.

At least it was the right city. 

The Nashville Instagram page a couple months ago erroneously posted a picture of the Melbourne skyline with the Central Tower front and center. Also, here's a US News listicle that uses a shot of Beale Street for Nashville

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

On 2/4/2019 at 3:42 PM, markhollin said:

A bit more background on plans for the NFL Draft in downtown Nashville set for April 25-27 at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/02/04/scouting-report-what-to-expect-when-the-nfl.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

This graph compiled for the article compares the amount of spending generated at the last two NFL Drafts with other Nashville events in the same years:

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 2.39.18 PM.png

Cool! Any stats available on number of expected visitors from out of town?  Does anyone think this could serve as a prelim run for a future Super Bowl? 

This infuriates me and It reinforces every negative opinion I have about strong-arm government/bureaucratic tactics...

Chicago's disappearing cars

Thousands Of Chicagoans Wake Up To Missing Cars – CBS Chicago chicago.cbslocal.com Thousands Of Chicagoans Wake Up To Missing Cars CHICAGO (CBS)–Imagine coming out of your house to go to work, but your car is nowhere to be seen. Thousands of Chicagoans have found themselves in this position over the last few months, but it’s not because they were parked illegally. In the dead of winter, a disappearing act is happening across the city.

City workers are allowed to tow vehicles in their way, leaving some car owners in the cold. Jordan Zeman discovered his car missing one morning. “My first immediate thought was, ‘it’s stolen,’ so I think I stood there for a while thinking, ‘what do I do now? Like do I call the police?’” Her mind racing, Zeman considered the city auto pound. Her missing car was puzzling because there were no warning signs in the Humboldt Park neighborhood where the car had been parked. “I thought I was nuts,” Zeman said. “I thought this was weird. I don’t know if this is something that happens to people?” She’s certainly not alone. Data shows 4,756 people came outside to find empty parking spots, during just the past three months. That’s about 52 cars moved every day by the city, according to data from the Department of Streets and Sanitation. Over a 90 day period, 444 vehicles were towed for a TV shoot. Recently on Leavitt Street, three cars went missing for “filming reasons.” but no signs warning drivers of restrictions were found posted on the street. In the same neighborhood, 600 vehicles were towed for “forestry” relocation. CBS 2 found  found some cars dropped more than three miles away. Data shows 516 cars were moved for “water management” work; 244 were moved for People’s Gas; and another 1,105 were simply classified “other.” Almost half of the relocations occurred between 5 and 10 a.m., the data shows. Zeman’s car wound up a few blocks away on Hirsch and Artesian—a headscratcher. “That was a huge relief,” she said. “Having no note and no indication of why it happened was really bizarre.” A spokesperson for the Department of Streets and Sanitation said moving cars is “absolutely necessary” to keep the city up and running. The city says vehicle relocations are usually done with advance warning, but emergencies sometimes pop up. There is not data to show how many cars were moved without notice. Sometimes there are signs posted to warn of city work but other times, cars are moved without warning.  If a car is moved, the city doesn’t provide a note, e-mail or call to inform the car owner. The city says motorists can call 311 or check their website. There are no fines for residents whose cars are moved. Lauren Victory

Edited by Guest