Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Very accurate, but that chick definitely isn't from TN... Her accent is totally Iowa or Wisconsin. Willing to bet she is a Midwestern transplant in the Nashville area

Something else that takes way too long in Tennessee is driving through a stop sign. Everyone tries to be too nice and wait for someone else to go rather than just follow the "I got here first, so I go first" rule. It's irritating!

Being a born 'n raised Tennessean, the worst thing about TN are the drivers! Tennessee drivers are the worst I have ever seen, and I have been to 31 states and 5 different countries. Nobody uses their turning signal, people putz in the fast lane, and so many idiots run red lights and block intersections. Nobody in TN knows how to communicate with other drivers on the roads, especially in Knoxville. Knoxville has THE WORST drivers I have witnessed. Can't tell you how many near-accidents I've encountered around here thanks to the locals' awful driving. Nashville's drivers are terrible too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, nativetenn said:

Very accurate, but that chick definitely isn't from TN... Her accent is totally Iowa or Wisconsin. Willing to bet she is a Midwestern transplant in the Nashville area

You may be right, but she did know the Tennessee state flower and state bird in a quiz show segment from the same video series, which I assume isn't common knowledge among most transplants.   She may just have a young millennial 'Nashville' accent.

I dont think any of these folks are from the state they live in except for HW, NJ and WV. The chick from HW looked like it, the old geezer from NJ was dead on and stupid because he still lives there,  and the gal from WV sounded like it, sort of slow and backward. 

I will probably get slammed but its sort of tongue in cheek here. 90% of the folks however sounded like they were Valley Girls. Like OMG, even the guys.

It's hard to imagine that Condé Nast either a) ventured into the backwaters to film an actual representative of each state or b) brought them into the imperial capital to film them. I'm sure they just found someone they knew living in Manhattan with a connection to each state and, given the typical amount of effort that goes into whatever you call the video version of a listicle, the connections are probably tenuous at best (e.g., the "Tennessee" girl once came here for a bachelorette party).

• Like 2

Something else that takes way too long in Tennessee is driving through a stop sign. Everyone tries to be too nice and wait for someone else to go rather than just follow the "I got here first, so I go first" rule. It's irritating!
Being a born 'n raised Tennessean, the worst thing about TN are the drivers! Tennessee drivers are the worst I have ever seen, and I have been to 31 states and 5 different countries. Nobody uses their turning signal, people putz in the fast lane, and so many idiots run red lights and block intersections. Nobody in TN knows how to communicate with other drivers on the roads, especially in Knoxville. Knoxville has THE WORST drivers I have witnessed. Can't tell you how many near-accidents I've encountered around here thanks to the locals' awful driving. Nashville's drivers are terrible too.

Being also born and raised in TN and now transplanted to GA, I can undoubtedly tell you that Atlanta is much, much worse.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ruraljuror said:

Wait for it...

That was the single most annoying video I've seen in a long time.  Not only does everyone sound like they grew up in the same Orange County neighborhood, but there's not a thing that anyone said about his/her state that couldn't have been said about any other state.  Condé Nast should be ashamed for putting this out there.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was a fun video, not really something meant to be analyzed too seriously. Besides, most all young people I know from Nashville do not have a southern accent at all minus a few slips occasionally. I mean, her commentary on the culture here was spot-on 

Edited by henburg
  • Like 1

I've seen those videos before and they always use the same people for every state I think, so they're probably just people who work there with some sort of connection to the state they're representing.  I doubt they fly in fifty born n raised home grown types for every video.  haha

22 hours ago, nativetenn said:

I've lived here over 26 years and just started noticing this in the past few months.  I will choose to see it as an expression of niceness.  "They're just being nice.  They're just being nice.  They're just being nice.  JUST GO ALREADY!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

I've lived here over 26 years and just started noticing this in the past few months.  I will choose to see it as an expression of niceness.  "They're just being nice.  They're just being nice.  They're just being nice.  JUST GO ALREADY!!!"

Being behind those people at a four way stop is even worse.  I'm generally a pretty patient, laid back person, but when I'm sitting there for two minutes while grandma waves everyone through, I suddenly find myself becoming a person who has to turn to breathing exercises just to maintain their sanity and composure.  haha

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

the MA guy is definitely not from MA. It's Taxachusetts not Massataxes. WTF is that??? lol

Yea I noticed the wrong phrase, so I figured these were all paid actors. Conde Nest is sort past its prime.  I use to take the magazine until I figured these destinations and hotels were places my budget will never allow me to go, but when you look at the people they used, you would think that is a good sampling of their readership.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Yea I noticed the wrong phrase, so I figured these were all paid actors. Conde Nest is sort past its prime.  I use to take the magazine until I figured these destinations and hotels were places my budget will never allow me to go, but when you look at the people they used, you would think that is a good sampling of their readership.

Dittos for me I love to travel and used to take it the magazine too.  But when every hotel described is 500 a night it soon became not worth the subscription price.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, e-dub said:

A bit of randomness. I drove past this place earlier, lots of crane segments here. It's on Murfreesboro Road, going towards the city not too long before you get to Spence Road.

IMG_20190301_132650.thumb.jpg.0a0d130c5a3bf165fc106a8d25709f12.jpg

Any idea where this thing is headed?  I'd like to ask that crane the usual questions when meeting someone in Nashville:  Where are you from?  When did you move to Nashville?  What part of town do you live/work in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last night was the final run of the printing presses at The Tennessean HQ.  All printing of the paper from here on out will happen in Kentucky, I believe.  As someone who was raised to read the newspaper daily, (no matter what city I have lived in) it makes me a bit sad.  But time marches on...

https://www.tennessean.com/videos/news/2019/03/04/end-era-printing-presses-run-last-time-1100-broadway/3052970002/

• Like 3

There's something a tad shameful (IMHO) about a 'local' newspaper being produced 150 miles away. I realize things change, and the news industry has changed (been battered) of late. But the consolidation of news sources is troubling to me. I received a Tennessean at my hotel a few years ago. It was nothing but a camouflaged USA Today. 

• Like 1

I hope someone can figure out how to make local news sustainable. Personally, I have never read national or international news from my local newspaper, but I have grown up in the era of the Internet when whatever was in the newspaper is already 12-18 hours old.  I do, however, read local news in my local newspaper (usually online).  I think they could get rid of the national or international news completely and I would be more likely to read the paper.  TV News stations provide some local news, but it tends to be very superficial and there is almost no investigative aspect to it on a routine basis. For local governments to work we need local newspapers that will really dig into contracts for road repair, coverage of planning issues, presentation of mass transit plans, etc. Unfortunately, I don't think many people are willing to pay to receive that news which makes the business case tough.

• Like 2