Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

^^As I recall, the Oilers/Titans were going to stay in Memphis for two seasons while the new stadium in Nashville was built.  But things were so dismal that they left after one season and spent the next year at Vanderbilt's stadium.

I love Memphis, but its best days are long gone.  I can't imagine how much worse that city would be if it weren't for FedEx.  I remember a few years ago the Memphis Chamber did a study, I'm not sure why, and discovered that in spite of modest population gains, there's less money in the Memphis region than there was 10 years previous, implying that people with money are leaving Memphis and being replaced by people without money.  Their same study found that Nashville, on the other hand, is not only attracting more people but it's attracting people with money. 

::Memphis::

I was born and raised in Memphis but have lived in Nashville since around 2003. I recently went back to visit an old friend for the first time in almost 10 years. From what I could tell, the only thing that has changed is that the Peabody Place Mall-thing has since completely closed. Several blocks of street front windows and doors now shuttered and boarded up by plywood. And this is literally across the street from Beale Street, arguably the most popular street in the Downtown area. Even the beautiful Pat O'Brien's building still sits pathetically empty and deserted. All I could do was shake my head. The progress and development that we have seen in Nashville in the last 10 years, I don't foresee Memphis ever achieving in the rest of my lifetime. 

Nice to see that other areas of Nashville are still getting some attention. "A rising tide lifts all boats" as they say, or at least it should.

Agreed.  This is an appropriate use of Metro tax dollars to reinvest in neighborhood infrastructure and services that benefit a whole range of people and that can potentially attract private investment that is presently lacking in the Southeast Davidson region.

Edited by bwithers1

From WW at the Post:

Now I see why this thing has taken forever. Dealing with TDOT and the State, it will never get started. And the number of "Stix" were reduced to 27 from 30 due to safety and visibilty. I wouldn't think 3 poles would make a difference, but ok TDOT.

If it was Metro owned land, it would be built by now.

• Like 3

From WW at the Post:

Now I see why this thing has taken forever. Dealing with TDOT and the State, it will never get started. And the number of "Stix" were reduced to 27 from 30 due to safety and visibilty. I wouldn't think 3 poles would make a difference, but ok TDOT.

If it was Metro owned land, it would be built by now.

Good gracious!  So I wonder if we should see it being installed in the near future?  As much as I love Nashville, I'm not going to hold by breath lol.  The near future in Nashville terms could mean 2017.

I recall reading in an article a few days ago that it should be fully installed within a year. (I forget where I saw that or else I'd cite my source.)

EDIT: Oh! Just found it. It was NPost:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postpolitics/2014/10/22/council_oks_lease_for_public_art_piece_stix

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 1

I'm imagining that each of these poles will have to be stuck in the ground pretty far, to be able to stand up.  If they're going to rise 85' above ground, it makes me wonder how much will be under ground.

That's a good point.  These will obviously be further down than the 4' needed for a sturdy fence post.  That installation could involve some serious excavation.

Yesterday's MPC hearing inculded a sneek preview of the "Nashville future" that Planning will propose based on the NashvilleNext community input received.  The first presentation will be next Thursday, 10/30 at 5:00 PM at Rocketown.  I left with the impression that the results will be a blend of complementary aspects of the Center With Infill and Downtown With Pikes futures.

Since I'm always commenting on the night lighting of the Nashville skyline, I took it upon myself to contact Jessica Bliss of the Tennessean who did a story the other day on the 20th anniversary of the Batman building to see if she could find out about the current lighting scheme of the tower and why certain lights are not lit anymore. Here is her response:

Hey Bruce!

Wanted to pass along what I found out about the lighting in the Batman building! See below for a response.

Hope this quells your curiosity.

Best!

J

The lighting on the building is designed differently now than in the past (when AT&T was BellSouth). Currently, we are finishing up a large project that has replaced ALL exterior building lighting to LED lights. The lights from 28 up (spires and "bridge" lighting) are not complete, and some of the old lights are out (which is why it looks a little dark right now). We did not replace the old lights as the new ones are about to be installed.

As information, the iconic AT&T Tower is an Energy Star rated building. This LED project is part of an energy savings/management program where AT&T's vision is to be identified as "The most responsible consumer of energy in the world", and achieve a $467M energy savings target reduction by year-end 2019.

That's good to hear.   I expect it will be an improvement when completed.    

Speaking of building lighting, I was in Hong Kong last month for meetings.   Aside from having possibly the world's best skyline, this is a city that takes lighting to a whole new level.   There's a light show every night at 8pm, which is best viewed from the Kowloon side.    

But, the most amazing nightly show is by far the ICC tower (118 stories) across HK harbor on Kowloon.   There is a free app you can download and listen to the music in sync with the light show (which, of course, I did).     You have to see it to believe it.    

• Like 4

I was in Hong Kong a few times back in the 90's when I was in the Navy. It's my favorite skyline in the world. It was amazing back then and I can only imagine seeing it again now. Something about seeing such tall buildings right up against mountains is so cool, and the views from Victoria Peak were spectacular. I know Nashville will never have skyline lighting of that caliber ( and yes I know many think it's overdone or tacky) but hopefully the new lighting on the Batman building will have an impact and the lights across the bridge and the slanted roof that aimed toward the logo will be lighted. I sent another email to see if the led lighting will have the capability to change colors but have not received a response yet. Now if they TN Tower could be lit up, I think it would balance out the skyline much better.

Edited by bruceman73
  • Like 3

Hong Kong - the city of light. The video does not do it justice. I always thought Central Plaza was cool and the Bank of China. The lasers do not show in the video, unfortunately. The ICC blew me away when I saw it ... while shopping in the mall in the IFC - good grief. I still don't know how some of those buildings light up. Hong Kong is, hands-down, the most impressive city on earth (sorry, New York and Tokyo are not even close).

There are two other cities close by with much taller buildings (like 500 feet taller than ICC) that are also spectacular at night: Guangzhou (with the Canton Tower and wonderfully lit river bridges) and Shanghai (Jin Mao, Oriental Pearl Tower, WFC, and the new Shanghai Tower) are also impressive at night.

**As for ads on these buildings, I really don't recall seeing "ads" like we are thinking of ... but then again, I can't read Chinese either ...
  • Like 2