Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I've just never understood why Nashville needs a flight to London. Is there really that much of a need for one, especially when we're so close to ATL. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us land one again, I just don't want it ending up like the previous one did.

Edited by satalac

I've just never understood why Nashville needs a flight to London. Is there really that much of a need for one, especially when we're so close to ATL. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us land one again, I just don't want it ending up like the previous one did.

There is also a lot of demand from Europe to Nashville. Especially from the UK.

• Like 1

Anyone planning to attend the Nashville Civic Design Center Holiday Open House tonight? I'm gonna stop by after work and look around a bit. Would be fun to see a few of the crew there!

EDIT: Details as follows--

"UT Knoxville student proposals for Nashville-Franklin transit-oriented developments will be on display at NCDC's Holiday Open House.

Hors D'oeuvres and Yazoo beverages provided, join us!"

10150536_10152833119241054_2429542207298

Edited by Vrtigo

Anyone planning to attend the Nashville Civic Design Center Holiday Open House tonight? I'm gonna stop by after work and look around a bit. Would be fun to see a few of the crew there!

EDIT: Details as follows--

"UT Knoxville student proposals for Nashville-Franklin transit-oriented developments will be on display at NCDC's Holiday Open House.

Hors D'oeuvres and Yazoo beverages provided, join us!"

I've turned into a wuss, so I'll just stay in my cocoon tonight, but do eat up some o' those "Hers Dovers" on my behalf.  I've known of this UTK project for some time now ─ just couldn't figure a reason that students would be intent to the extent of focusing on any Nash'l-related proposal (except perhaps as a group of motivated design students whose homes are in the Williamson Co.).

-==-

I've turned into a wuss, so I'll just stay in my cocoon tonight, but do eat up some o' those "Hers Dovers" on my behalf.  I've known of this UTK project for some time now ─ just couldn't figure a reason that students would be intent to the extent of focusing on any Nash'l-related proposal (except perhaps as a group of motivated design students whose homes are in the Williamson Co.).

-==-

Don't worry--you didn't miss much. It was a lot of people talking to other people they already knew; a few new posters and conceptual drawings on the walls with no descriptions of any kind to accompany them; and very little to engage a curious newbie like myself. No actual presentations were made or anything of substance discussed.

I'm a little disappointed, honestly.

A couple of tidbits... 

News about the TN-DRP, the new Distributed Research Park formed by three area universities (TSU, TTU, MTSU)... they'll be looking for a location.  I must say and area near the airport makes a lot of sense considering the locations of the various schools. http://www.venturetennessee.com/mid-tn-plan-boosts-universities-entrepreneurs-accelerators-businesses-cms-775

And a special interest piece about a "mid century" architect by the name of Peter Dickinson, who designed hundreds of buildings in Toronto in the 1950s. Some more noteworthy buildings have already been demolished. http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/03/the_lost_architecture_of_peter_dickinson/

• Like 1

Don't worry--you didn't miss much. It was a lot of people talking to other people they already knew; a few new posters and conceptual drawings on the walls with no descriptions of any kind to accompany them; and very little to engage a curious newbie like myself. No actual presentations were made or anything of substance discussed.

I'm a little disappointed, honestly.

I know I'd've been.  Don;t see why in the world someone even would arrange some space in a motel for such a subject as "transit-oriented" developments ─ however limited in scope ─ without some channels of interactive discussion.  Sounds like nothing amounted to any more that than a secondary-school dog-n-pony show, that's all it seems to have been, based on what you report.

-==-

And a special interest piece about a "mid century" architect by the name of Peter Dickinson, who designed hundreds of buildings in Toronto in the 1950s. Some more noteworthy buildings have already been demolished. http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/03/the_lost_architecture_of_peter_dickinson/

I can see why. While I love the look of automobiles of the period, this was really the nadir of architecture and the era where we lost countless classic structures that were irreplaceable (largely via "urban renewal").

• Like 2

I really only read print media when yall link it so this is a tv link sorry.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/27581758/tbr-nissan-break-ground-for-35m-training-center

I point this out because it shows Nissan investing even more into the area. I really do think we will get a Tokyo flight sooner rather than later, or at the bare minimum a SFO direct flight.

I think it also helps the chances of M Residences... which would be one block away from Adelicia. 

According to NBJ, Ray Hensler may be ready with his next condo tower sooner than later.  I cannot link via this computer, but it covers his finishing up Twelve Twelve... and possible future projects for him.

Edited by MLBrumby