Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Looking at it that way it is pretty amazing how 505 dwarfs everything else. It's crazy to think about how much impact a relatively small building like TwelveTwelve has, and then taking a look at JWM and especially 505CST......it's just.....WOW!!!!

All of the paintings and news intros and tourist photos will have to be updated because they will be grossly out of date in a few short years.

Edited by Hey_Hey

I was about to say, OKC is likely getting another 40+ office tower anchored by Bank of Oklahoma and Devon, the latter already running low on space in their current world HQ. Plus you have the OG&E 4 tower complex across Hudson & Sheridan from that, and lastly the potential of another office tower anchored by Continental Resources who's already run out of room in Devon's old HQ down the street.

Here is a graph I prepared and posted over at Skyscaper page. It seems like it changes daily.

Skylinerevised3_zpsaecd508a.jpg

Wow!! Thanks for creating this.

So basically the first 7 buildings on the diagram are under construction (12/12 is complete). The next two will be starting early next year...and the following 5 buildings hopefully starting by spring 2015.

I would bet that Turnberry and Skyhouse break ground by 3rd quarter 2015.

Impressive list and Amazing times!

Edited by nashmoney

I was about to say, OKC is likely getting another 40+ office tower anchored by Bank of Oklahoma and Devon, the latter already running low on space in their current world HQ. Plus you have the OG&E 4 tower complex across Hudson & Sheridan from that, and lastly the potential of another office tower anchored by Continental Resources who's already run out of room in Devon's old HQ down the street.

Not to get too far off track here, but I follow the OKC stuff pretty closely as I'm originally from OK, but that 40 story tower you mentioned is nothing but a rumor, and we know how those go. 40 stories is just wishful thinking on their part, as no information is out there. It's not even a proposal. There always seems to be talk of mystery towers over there, but there hasn't been a tower crane in the skyline since Devon. They do however have one impressive proposal, and thats the OG&E tower complex you mentioned. It's pretty much (4) 400' towers. Two office, and two residential. However, the developer is seeking something close to $100M in TIF for the project, and there is no financing in place that I'm aware of, so...things could change. Other than that, the hottest development topic in the OKC forums is a few random low-rise apartment projects, restaurants, a parking garage etc. I'm not bashing OKC or anything, and they have a lot of potential to see some strong growth, but as of right now there really ain't much happening there other than the OG&E proposal, and that's one of those I'll believe it when I see it type developments. I could absolutely see that thing being downsized for sure. Anyway's, for anyone interested, here is that proposal and a link to the discussion about it....http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=OG+E+Energy+Center&page=24

9264d1412690086-og-e-energy-center-stage

9263d1412690085-og-e-energy-center-stage

9265d1412690086-og-e-energy-center-stage

• Like 2

I  noticed there was not much going on there when I was there back in October. There was one crane downtown but a track crane. There seemed to be a lot of suburb construction going on, which is unfortunate, but there is a lot of land around the city. More for tornadoes to hit for sure. Just Kidding.

That is a nice looking project. Is this in the downtown area???

In other Nashville news. There are a number of items on the Metro Council up for final reading next week.  From the Post.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/12/12/council_set_to_vote_on_multiple_major_developments

Thanks for posting that Pete. There's also another montage you did with the lowrise projects on skyscraper city or pages one. Could you please post that one too.

Thanks and Great work.

Were you referring to this?

SampS2014_zps8bbaf7f5.jpg

It's incomplete, I know. There are several left out (so hard to keep up with all this). I posted this just to show the magnitude of whats happening in Nashville in the urban core, although the projects in Berry Hill might not qualify.

And the Bluebird is now the Crescent Music Row!

• Like 4

I noticed there was not much going on there when I was there back in October. There was one crane downtown but a track crane. There seemed to be a lot of suburb construction going on, which is unfortunate, but there is a lot of land around the city. More for tornadoes to hit for sure. Just Kidding.

That is a nice looking project. Is this in the downtown area???

In other Nashville news. There are a number of items on the Metro Council up for final reading next week. From the Post.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/12/12/council_set_to_vote_on_multiple_major_developments

Yes, it's the old Stage Center site.

Were you referring to this?

SampS2014_zps8bbaf7f5.jpg

It's incomplete, I know. There are several left out (so hard to keep up with all this). I posted this just to show the magnitude of whats happening in Nashville in the urban core, although the projects in Berry Hill might not qualify.

And the Bluebird is now the Crescent Music Row!

Thats the one. GREAT work and thanks for posting.

I've mentioned this several times, and I know this is the wrong thread for this, but going off the renderings of the JW tower it's more than 35 stories. There's 35 floors just from the top of the base to the part that sticks out towards the top which I'm assuming is the restaurant. So on top of that 35 floors you have the restaurant , and what looks to be another floor above that which is more than likely the mechanical floor, and another level above that which is probably just ornamental. All that considered, you still have the base what looks to be at least 5 stories, so....my guess is from the ground to the top, this tower is more in the 43 story range. I think that 35 story number keeps being thrown out there because that's just how many floors of hotel rooms there will be. Anyway's, I think that explains why this tower if built as is, will be in the 500' range. 

JW-Marriott.jpg

• Like 1

I think developers will, on occasion, understate the actual height to keep Nimbys at bay.

:shok: OMG! A 40 story building in downtown!!!! Must stop it now. Next thing you know we'll become.... Atlanta!!! OMG!!!   :blink: 

That is Nashville for you. Viridian was supposed to be 36, but the city did not want the L&C blocked. Nashville has been height conservative for decades. None of the buildings over 31 stories in past decades ever had a chance. Notice the 40 story twin of NCC never got built. They built the 27 story one first. I knew when they did not start on the second one immediately, it would never get built and I was right.

I think developers will, on occasion, understate the actual height to keep Nimbys at bay.

:shok: OMG! A 40 story building in downtown!!!! Must stop it now. Next thing you know we'll become.... Atlanta!!! OMG!!!   :blink: 

Why do they always say Atlanta. Why cant they say Austin or Chicago or some other city. But you are right, its always Atlanta.

• Like 4

Based on the rendering, it's also going to be closer to 40 stories tall. So that estimate would not be far from the mark.  Assuming! 

It looks like the base will equal about 4 stories...or something close to 40'...then 35 floors of rooms...so let's say 350' (390' total)...then the restaurant looks to take up about 2 floors (so that's another 20' to get us to 410' total)...then it appears the cap is about another 4 floors in height (so another 40'...with a grand total of 450').

Of course, that's all a rough calculation based on a rendering...so take it for what's it worth.  All in all, I'd say somewhere between 440'-500'.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 2

Why do they always say Atlanta. Why cant they say Austin or Chicago or some other city. But you are right, its always Atlanta.

That's funny.  I can see why they would pick Atlanta since it's relatively close to Nashville.  In Austin the NIMBYs use either Dallas and Houston as the evil comparison.  (But, for some reason Dallas is used more than Houston.)

That's funny.  I can see why they would pick Atlanta since it's relatively close to Nashville.  In Austin the NIMBYs use either Dallas and Houston as the evil comparison.  (But, for some reason Dallas is used more than Houston.)

Nothing against Atlanta, but it has a tremendous amount of sprawl, and I think the main issue is traffic. The I 275 international speedway is really scary if you are not use to high volume traffic moving between 80 and 90 miles an hour, when the speed limit is 55.

I lived there for a year in the early 90s and it was crazy. Add 20 plus more years to the growth and you will get what I am saying. Metro area a little over 5 million folks.

This SP request indicates a relocation of the Nashville Ready Mix facility.  Not sure of the specifics, but I wonder if this could be a relocation of the facility in Germantown.

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2015/012215/2015SP-012-001_plan.pdf

I saw that last week. There current address is on the other side of the river I think, but not sure.

I think Atlanta is a fair comparison. A regional city. Similar planning, or lack of planning. Historically low density city, which is trying to adapt to mid-density. Car centric, sprawling spoke and wheel, freeway dependent design. Infrastructure suited for low density.

Why would Nashville try to make an apples to oranges comparison to a place like Chicago? Massive street grid, with historically high density planning and infrastructure. Major transit and rail hub for the entire mid-west.

Just trying to pick something other than Atlanta..brain farts at the time. Couldn't think at the time...how about Charlotte.