Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Regarding the possible Ready Mix relocation - , that little area is sort of a secret connection between East Nashville and Bordeaux, You go west and take Douglas to Dickerson, then go north for half a block, then back on Douglas (in true Nashville fashion) and bam you just avoided Trinity Lane. There seems to be a lot of industrial companies in the area. Sort of pegged that area for a possible hot spot for development because of location. Went through there last night and there was a extremely strong odor from one of the industrial sites. There are some high end homes on a hill that can be seen on the interstate.  

Edited by TnNative

Regarding the possible Ready Mix relocation - , that little area is sort of a secret connection between East Nashville and Bordeaux, You go west and take Douglas to Dickerson, then go north for half a block, then back on Douglas (in true Nashville fashion) and bam you just avoided Trinity Lane. There seems to be a lot of industrial companies in the area. Sort of pegged that area for a possible hot spot for development because of location. Went through there last night and there was a extremely strong odor from one of the industrial sites. There are some high end homes on a hill that can be seen on the interstate.  

The high-end contemporary homes are on Fern Street, which is, indeed, one block north of Douglas at Dickerson.  Fern Street goes over I-65.

Over on Skyscraperpage it is being said that the Mayor of Memphis is holding a press conference tomorrow morning to announce a new major retailer.  The rumor is Ikea.  Has anyone else heard this?  I can't believe if true, that Ikea would choose Memphis over Nashville. 

Edited by bruceman73

maybe they are announcing a completion date for the Bass pro shop in the pyramid finally.

I don't know, even their local news channels are reporting it.  Apparently Ikea was interested in Memphis a few years back but backed out due to Memphis finances being messed up.  And what is wrong with Nashville?  Don't get it.

Just Google Ikea Memphis and you will see what I am talking about.  Not trying to bash Memphis but it doesn't make since to me.

Edited by bruceman73

LOL... wait to see what (if any) subsidies are being offered by the city.  If none, then kudos to Mempho! Then again, perhaps we should not be so dismissive about Nashville's quiet (slightly) bigger sibling to the west. I haven't been in about two years, and while I think it has miserably bad leadership (or lack of), I can see lots of potential if they ever get their act together.  Haven't they been renovating a lot of those classic buildings downtown.  I can say that alone has made a big difference in Chattanooga, which has a fraction the old classic masonry building stock that Memphis has. 

While I remain dubious, I hope Memphis is finding its niche... but I have no faith in their current (I didn't say, "corrupt") leadership.  

• Like 1

Memphis IS right next door to the large disposable incomes in Arkansas and Mississippi.  :whistling:

(I grew up in Arkansas and went to college in Mississippi...so I'd know these kind of things)  :)

Isn't Memphis closer to St. Louis and Atlanta as well?  Again, sorry if I sound like I am bashing Memphis.  I was stationed there for three years so I know the area pretty well.  I know Germantown/Cordova is an affluent area, but I am still not getting the decision especially with all the growth and development going on in the mid state. Perhaps the FedEx hub was a selling point. I guess we will know more details tomorrow.  According to the article I read, a black curtain was hung in the hall of mayors in Memphis and IKEA furniture was being set up on the other side as well as a piece of paper on a chair with the IKEA logo.  Sounds legit to me.

Ikea. Ew! What do you guys like about Ikea? Maybe the few times I've been to the Ikea in Atlanta I missed the allure. There was not one item in that entire store that I would purchase.

My current computer desk, my mattress (which is just as comfortable as the one in the mattress store, except without having to deal with the BS and used-car-dealers at a mattress store, and a quarter the price), my bed, and a few other odds and ends all came from Ikea. It's a place to get reasonably priced, quality furniture that is very well suited for apartment living.  I wouldn't decorate a multi-million dollar house with Ikea, but it works well for someone like myself.

• Like 2

My current computer desk, my mattress (which is just as comfortable as the one in the mattress store, except without having to deal with the BS and used-car-dealers at a mattress store, and a quarter the price), my bed, and a few other odds and ends all came from Ikea. It's a place to get reasonably priced, quality furniture that is very well suited for apartment living.  I wouldn't decorate a multi-million dollar house with Ikea, but it works well for someone like myself.

I agree.  I have bought some furniture items that have lasted quite a while and are nice.  I guess we all can't afford Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman etc.  With that being said, as a designer I think I have a very nice please EVEN with my "EW" Ikea furniture.  Gasp!

Was there something in the Tennessean about a Target logistics/fulfillment operation opening in the Memphis area?

It was already announced that Target had selected SE Memphis for a $50 million Target distribution center bringing around 400 jobs to the area.  The announcement tomorrow is new and apparently when asked, the mayor of Memphis said he hadn't been told the details yet.  

LOL... wait to see what (if any) subsidies are being offered by the city.  If none, then kudos to Mempho! Then again, perhaps we should not be so dismissive about Nashville's quiet (slightly) bigger sibling to the west. I haven't been in about two years, and while I think it has miserably bad leadership (or lack of), I can see lots of potential if they ever get their act together.  Haven't they been renovating a lot of those classic buildings downtown.  I can say that alone has made a big difference in Chattanooga, which has a fraction the old classic masonry building stock that Memphis has. 

While I remain dubious, I hope Memphis is finding its niche... but I have no faith in their current (I didn't say, "corrupt") leadership.  

Not really, a few of the bigger ones, but there's quite a few, actually a lot downtown that haven't been touched that are owned by developers or I should say property owners who are sitting on them waiting for who knows what to come about. I briefly had a few meetings with a developer and project manager who had a solid development plan for an old cotton warehouse downtown that's in unbelievably good condition , but no cash. That's typically the case.

Memphis IS right next door to the large disposable incomes in Arkansas and Mississippi.  :whistling:

(I grew up in Arkansas and went to college in Mississippi...so I'd know these kind of things)  :)

My thoughts too, but I'm a Negative Nellie.

Ikea. Ew! What do you guys like about Ikea? Maybe the few times I've been to the Ikea in Atlanta I missed the allure. There was not one item in that entire store that I would purchase.

Girls typically like their furniture more than my Big Lots couch and 70's corduroy recliner (actually they like that).

If this rumor is true, then my faith in humanity has been ruined.  Why on earth would IKEA go to that decaying town and not Nashville??  The NBJ kept saying that IKEA wouldn't go to Nashville because the population is too small.  Well, the population of the Memphis area is even smaller, and there's certainly a lot less disposable income in Memphis than there is in Nashville, and Memphis just isn't growing.  Then again, St Louis isn't growing, either, but IKEA is headed there.  Maybe this announcement tomorrow is for an IKEA distribution center in Memphis.  THAT would make more sense.  At any rate, I'll be eagerly watching to see what happens with this.

• Like 2