Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Interesting article that goes into the reason Ikea chose Memphis over Nashville (The rent, or land prices, is too damn high)

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/12/ikea-why-of-course-wed-love-to-be-in-nashville.html?page=2

So...they need 30-40 acres...probably within eyesight of an interstate and close to an exit.  That probably leave downtown out of the picture.  Not sure if Cool Springs has the room.  You'd probably have to go to the Goose Creek exit area to maybe find that kind of room on 65 south.  I'm guessing the Mt. Juliet area is possible.  I know they could plant one on 840 near Lebanon right off I-40...but I'm thinking that's too far out.

The Bellevue Mall site would have been pretty good, except you can't really see if from I-40.

Any room left at 100 Oaks?  I'm pretty sure all of those old buildings have been rebuilt or repurposed, correct?

What about that land west of I-40 at Concord Rd?

Any room north of town?

Edited by titanhog

So...they need 30-40 acres...probably within eyesight of an interstate and close to an exit.  That probably leave downtown out of the picture.  Not sure if Cool Springs has the room.  You'd probably have to go to the Goose Creek exit area to maybe find that kind of room on 65 south.  I'm guessing the Mt. Juliet area is possible.  I know they could plant one on 840 near Lebanon right off I-40...but I'm thinking that's too far out.

The Bellevue Mall site would have been pretty good, except you can't really see if from I-40.

Any room left at 100 Oaks?  I'm pretty sure all of those old buildings have been rebuilt or repurposed, correct?

What about that land east of I-40 at Concord Rd?

Any room north of town?

Bellevue would be the answer. They have a lot of contiguous land, and it would be a shot in the arm Bellevue would need. This would bring so many people to the area, it would be a catalyst to revive a dying area.

I would expect an IKEA in Nashville to be built to the southeast of I-440... allowing people easier access from east/south/west (Williamson).  I would put it near Hickory Hollow... perhaps that new development going up on the west side of I-24. That is the fastest growing area of Davidson county.

• Like 3

You can actually probably take your pick on a lot of Hickory Hollow area land...even with structures already on it.  There's also a lot of land just south of the Sam Ridley exit on I-24 in Smyrna where a new interchange will go someday.  That would be a good area as well.

Truthfully, either near Mt. Juliet or near Smyrna would be smartest and the cheaper land, as compared to Williamson County.

Consider the target demographic though, gents. I bet there's not a soul in Smyrna or La Vergne that has ever considered driving to the Atlanta IKEA.

I can definitely say the same for the suburb of Dallas, Frisco, where IKEA is at. I wouldn't exactly think Collin County folks are the target demographic either but the land couldn't be bought for cheap enough in Dallas County to justify building in the city, so the edge they went.

Every IKEA I have been to (3) has been along side the interstate with the huge sign and ugly a$$ colors.  They are not close to center cities.  About 15 miles out.  It was weird hearing the Memphis thing this morning.  I was reading a story about the Pittsburgh IKEA, which was built in 1989, last night.  It was the 4th IKEA in the country.  I don't know where the other 3 were.  It was a huge store, but did not understand the market they were in.  People didn't like the light colored wood and the no escape until you went thru the whole store concept, which makes you feel kind of trapped.  I don't remember the sq ft of the store, but they were doing pretty bad.  They sold part of the building to Toys 'R Us.  Now, of course, they would love to have it back. It is a very popular store now surrounded by a large shopping area.  I really don't get the popularity of it.  I guess for kids going away to college, you can get some OK stuff.   I'm from Pittsburgh and clicked some link while on-line.  Explaining my interest. I was surprised that Pittsburgh was the 4th store.  When they built it, I had never heard of IKEA.  Things like that don't happen there until the rest of the country has one.

totally random, but this is on the Metro archives facebook page today, they point out much of the same happened here, I would argue what happened here was worse especially around the capitol.

Nashville is not included but this is worth a wasted hour or so.

http://iqc.ou.edu/2014/12/12/60yrsmidwest/

Edited by volsfanwill
  • Like 4

Consider the target demographic though, gents. I bet there's not a soul in Smyrna or La Vergne that has ever considered driving to the Atlanta IKEA.

I recently traveled to the Atlanta IKEA with 3 friends all of whom live in Smyrna, at their instigation, so consider this point refuted.  A less absolute version of this might have some truth though.

What about that land west of I-40 at Concord Rd?

Any room north of town?

The area around Opry Mills is already a shopping destination, and the huge parcel of land across Briley is still for sale after Gaylord and Dolly Parton backed out of their theme park plan.

• Like 1

Perhaps, but it puts them closer to MTSU students who may well be very interested in buying from IKEA. Re: Collin County / Dallas IKEA - while Collin County may be a lot wealthier than the rest of the Metroplex which would make them seem like a poor fit, they're closer to UNT in Denton and you have a lot of young families that live in the northern suburbs. 

I guess it's just hard at this point for Nashvillians to accept Memphis getting something we don't have. I grew up in Franklin/Brentwood area where making fun of Memphis is a sport, of sorts, but I have two close friends who have gone to med school there and have taken back their years of bashing.

Perhaps, but it puts them closer to MTSU students who may well be very interested in buying from IKEA. Re: Collin County / Dallas IKEA - while Collin County may be a lot wealthier than the rest of the Metroplex which would make them seem like a poor fit, they're closer to UNT in Denton and you have a lot of young families that live in the northern suburbs. 

I guess it's just hard at this point for Nashvillians to accept Memphis getting something we don't have. I grew up in Franklin/Brentwood area where making fun of Memphis is a sport, of sorts, but I have two close friends who have gone to med school there and have taken back their years of bashing.

MTSU students???? they dont buy furniture, they go home every weekend..... I kid I kid...or do I...

• Like 1

Im going to say this last thing about Ikea, then I'm leaving it alone:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2014/12/16/ikea-nashville-give-hope/20495909/

"Rumors have swirled for years that Ikea is interested in opening a Nashville store, but Roth said the company has yet to find the right site in the area."

Ikea is full of BS. Where on Earth is the right site in Nashville??? If they wanted to be in the Nashville market, they would have been years ago. There was plenty of cheap available  land to build before Providence, Avenue, the extension of Cool Springs, Indian Lake, Nashville West, and even Capital View. Their whole thing about finding the right location is BS. Nashville has had plenty of locations for them to choose from. The fact that it took them 10+ years just to decide on a location in St Louis is rediculous.

Once Nashville continues to become denser and land prices continue to increase, they will never be able to find the "right site" in Nashville. Plus, why do they need incentives? I would rather them stay away than to play the wait and guess game and take 30 years to decide on a place to build.

On another note, this is one of the reasons why the Nashville - Memphis rivalry continues to exist. The fault lies on Part media, part citizens, and Memphis leadership.

Memphis Mayor A C Wharton even chimed in.

The Mayor then added, "So they may as well get over it, get used to it. This is just the beginning."

By the 11 a.m. press conference at Memphis City Hall, Mayor A C Wharton already had a response, "Get over it. I mean, there's gonna be more of this."

Then asked about the response from Nashville, Wharton said "Haters gonna hate, But we'll shake the haters off."

Why would a 65+ year old elected official say something that a high schooler would say..really?? The right response for the Mayor of Memphis should have been: "We welcome the residents of our sister city to come to Memphis and shop at the brand new Ikea store in 2016 and to visit the great city of Memphis to indulge in great music,world class food, and fun". Yet, he just throws fuel on the flame.

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/27641869/is-nashville-upset-about-ikea-choosing-memphis

Ok I'm done.

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 2

I heard they were going to build one in Mountain City.

Good snicker, Ron.  No one else, except Kevin and me, seems to have picked up on your spoof of Mountain City.  I recall that you're from up 'round Blount Co. somewherez., but at least it's somewhat on the stream of I-81.  Mountain City is so remote that the state had to change its iSP to Verizon, 'cuz none of the other providers could maintain a reliable 4G connection for our probation-parole officers in the satellite office located there.

Talk about the "Legend of Sleepy Hollow"!!!

-==-