Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I've always thought development there is inevitable, but like others said it's better to wait until surrounding developments are more dense first so its value will go up.  Even if he sold it now at the low price it would likely be turned into a lot of bullcrap, instead of high rise dense development.  When the time comes though, gosh that's going to be exciting!  Hopefully Lake Palmer doesn't sit there for another 10 years...

He is an ass, but I can see why he would not want to sub-divide. Compared to suburban car lots, it's a very small property. I see this as an all-or-nothing sell off for him, and I get that.

What I don't get is the "there is nothing in proximity" comment. Nissan moved to Metro Center and they seem to be selling cars. Murf Rd. has (had) an abandoned car lot waiting for a tenant.

What is so critical about Broadway? Hell, I drove to Huntsville for my last new car, because the deal was better than the Subaru dealership on Broadway. I also looked in Franklin, Gallatin, Chatanooga, and Memphis. To be quite honest, the reason I didn't buy from downtown is because of their limited inventory. They didn't have the exact trim level and color I wanted because they only had a handful of each model (I'm sure due to limited space). If anything, that's a good reason to move off of Broadway.

It's not like someone who lives in midtown is going to wake up one day thinking "I'm tired of walking, I should buy a car today" and then say, "well, the dealership is 5 miles away. That's too far to walk. I guess I'll never buy a car then. If only there was a fast bus that could get me there."

And for the record, before I shopped at the Subaru dealership on Broadway, I made darned sure that Lee Beaman didn't own it. But for everyone like me, I'm sure there is another Anti-Amp person that would make a point to buy specifically from him.

I couldn't agree more with you.  I mean, I get why Beaman likes where he is.  But why is he so married to the spot?  When it comes to being a car dealership, I can't see how being in a highly visible spot translates to more business.  An automobile is a MAJOR purchase for the vast majority of families, and as you alluded to, people are going to go wherever the best deal is.  Nobody is going to ignore a $1,000 savings just because that spot is a fifteen minute drive further than Beaman.  Furthermore, nobody is going to decide to purchase an automobile on a whim as their driving down the street. 

Went for an evening drive while Christmas shopping. Nighttime darkness, and my propensity to drive like I own the place means that I don't get a great view of everything. But, I'll share my observations for no other reason than I'm on this site on a Friday night. Caution. There is zero worthwhile observations in this post. And, go.

-Nashville has great nightlife. It's incredible. Downtown is so active compared to many other cities our size that it's just silly.

-Shopping here sucks. I don't mean the quality or quantity of it, just the sprawl of it. Doing my Christmas shopping required driving to 4 or 5 different regions of middle TN. I miss living in SF and being able to do it all in one swoop, in one location, on foot.

-The Fairfield Inn on Division is open. No big deal, just didn't realize that.

-The Buckingham development (whatever it's called) is a giant hole in the ground.

-Pedestrians downtown don't seem to understand crosswalk signals.

-It's pretty annoying that the city allows valet parking companies to put up cones in a lane of traffic (closing down the lane) to operate.

-The growth this city has seen in the last 10-15 is downright incredible.

-The East Bank has a long way to go, but so much potential.

-West End near the park, despite a lot of growth, still feels kinda suburban-y.

-Charlotte Ave. is going to be very hot, very soon.

-Interstate traffic at rush hour is the worst. I stick to surface street whenever possible. Although, midtown is quite rough as well during rush.

-thank god my wife has girlfriends and didn't force me to go to Justin Timberlake with her. Why is she going to that anyways? She's 35 for god's sake.

That's it. If you made it this far, congratulations. Cheers.

-Will

[deleted by the rooX]

(original content available on request)

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

Did you notice that, when traveling along many roadways, both primary and secondary, that you frequently encounter lanes which force you to quickly realize that you must "bogart" to change lanes abruptly, in order to avoid having to turn left or right, when you really intended to proceed straight, such that when you're driving along on what appears to be two lanes in both directions, without notice suddenly turns into a right-turn- or a left-turn-only, with no advance or noticeable approach signage indicating so, and you get honked at or worse, because you were hoping to simple drive on across the intersection?  That by the time you have noticed that the only stationary indicator of the turn lane, that you suddenly have realized is the wrong lane at that point in time, is at best some tire-worn, barely visible pavement arrows?  (westbound Jefferson St. bridge at 2nd Ave. N.; westbound Jefferson at Rosa Parks Blvd.; southbound 21st Ave S. at Wedgewood; northbound Gallatin Road at Neely's Bend Road; [ad infinitum.....])

For 22 years, this has been one of my worst peeves with MNDC (as well as with TDOT, as far as signage is concerned), and I realize that much of this appears to be a direct result of an attempt to "channelize" traffic flow during periods of over-capacity, with the goal of pushing the highest number of vehicles through intersecting roads (during a signal cycle or even without a signal light).

Rookzie... as a retired TDOT employee (and proud of my career with them) and as one of the primary people in charge of making sure the signage on the State Highways was appropriate, safe and in conformance to National and State guidelines for the installation of signage according to the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), I feel compelled to defend our practices in the examples you listed above.

As you can see in the photo below, each location does have proper signage installed in advance of the intersection. To install the signs at a greater distance from the intersection would have put the signs in advance of another side street and confused drivers as to whether they are required to turn early. 

As far as the need to channelize people at the intersection, each one of the intersections features a situation where a lane is eliminated on the far side (ie; goes from 3 to 2 lanes or 2 to 1 lane), thus the need to assign traffic to a right turn only lane to avoid a dangerous merge on the opposite approach.

RTMTRSIGNS_zpsd4878829.jpg

TDOT is an easy scapegoat when it comes to roadway issues, but we always yielded to the local City for determination over how to control traffic in their community provided they had the properly educated and experienced professional expertise to do so. Thus many of the problems in lane marking and traffic control are the result of local influence (although they'll blame TDOT in a heartbeat if they get a nasty phone call). I have the utmost respect for the Engineers at most of the local traffic control agencies, but like TDOT, they have to deal with a great deal of inappropriate meddling from politicians and planners. I didn't like it, but its part of the reality of the job. However, I never did anything that compromised the safety of the public. That's where I drew the line.

Edited by PHofKS

Rookzie... as a retired TDOT employee (and proud of my career with them) and as one of the primary people in charge of making sure the signage on the State Highways was appropriate, safe and in conformance to National and State guidelines for the installation of signage according to the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), I feel compelled to defend our practices in the examples you listed above.

As you can see in the photo below, each location does have proper signage installed in advance of the intersection. To install the signs at a greater distance from the intersection would have put the signs in advance of another side street and confused drivers as to whether they are required to turn early. 

As far as the need to channelize people at the intersection, each one of the intersections features a situation where a lane is eliminated on the far side (ie; goes from 3 to 2 lanes or 2 to 1 lane), thus the need to assign traffic to a right turn only lane to avoid a dangerous merge on the opposite approach.

RTMTRSIGNS_zpsd4878829.jpg

TDOT is an easy scapegoat when it comes to roadway issues, but we always yielded to the local City for determination over how to control traffic in their community provided they had the properly educated and experienced professional expertise to do so. Thus many of the problems in lane marking and traffic control are the result of local influence (although they'll blame TDOT in a heartbeat if they get a nasty phone call). I have the utmost respect for the Engineers at most of the local traffic control agencies, but like TDOT, they have to deal with a great deal of inappropriate meddling from politicians and planners. I didn't like it, but its part of the reality of the job. However, I never did anything that compromised the safety of the public. That's where I drew the line.

[deleted by the rooX]

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Maybe it's just my lifelong familiarity with the area, but while Nashville and Tennessee may be lacking in certain areas signage-wise, they're leaps and bounds better than Virginia, especially in the Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia (especially Arlington and Alexandria) regions.  Even areas like Virginia Beach (in HR if you're not familiar with the geography), which have large, sprawling road systems that do not have a lot of very complicated intersections are signed so poorly that if you don't know the area, it's quite difficult to find where you're going sometimes.

Maybe it's just my lifelong familiarity with the area, but while Nashville and Tennessee may be lacking in certain areas signage-wise, they're leaps and bounds better than Virginia, especially in the Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia (especially Arlington and Alexandria) regions.  Even areas like Virginia Beach (in HR if you're not familiar with the geography), which have large, sprawling road systems that do not have a lot of very complicated intersections are signed so poorly that if you don't know the area, it's quite difficult to find where you're going sometimes.

[deleted by the rooX]

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Where do you guys think we'll be getting news on some new proposals in 2015?

I'm thinking the most likely would be the FBC land...once it's truly sold and closed on.  I'm also thinking something will happen sooner rather than later on that land catty-corner to the Omni and across from the MCC on KVB.

Those are two I would almost bank on. I think we will get 3 or 4 highrise residential towers in the SO-BRO,Midtown, and Gulch area that have yet to be announced, maybe more. I do think the 19th and Broadway project will move forward as well as the following projects.

Virgin Hotel, we hope

Skyhouse

Old CC site

M-Residences

The Turnberry Project which when they say 35 stories, they are talking about the hotel portion which is 35, plus the base, plus the restaurant and the cap. It will be close to 500' There was a little confusion on that and I have a really good hard copy of the rendering and that is the way I counted.

Paramount

Residential building @ OneC1ty

1818 Church

The Thompson Hotel

The NW Mutual project

Fountains of Germantown

Crescent Music Row

Music City Flats on 17th & Grand

The Formosa site in Germantown

46th Ave and Charlotte Stonehenge project

Another dozen or so projects we have heard about that are decent sized.

A couple of others that I have heard about.

Maybe the Crescendo

There are many smaller projects in the pipeline and I can't mention everything. I will post a new construction list after the first of the year.

I also believe the Northwest Hospitality project will be replaced by the Hilton Canopy.

I think there could be something coming to First Ave.

• Like 2

Here is my suggestion to close out the year... would it be possible to make a whole thread just for the exclusive use of construction cams... no commenting... just the links as they are found?  That would save us from having to go back through old posts in various threads to find the cams for the various projects.  I can think of at least three active construction cams at the moment (1 City... Aertson... Vandy Engineering building)... but there ought to be more.  Thanks. . 

• Like 4

Here is my suggestion to close out the year... would it be possible to make a whole thread just for the exclusive use of construction cams... no commenting... just the links as they are found?  That would save us from having to go back through old posts in various threads to find the cams for the various projects.  I can think of at least three active construction cams at the moment (1 City... Aertson... Vandy Engineering building)... but there ought to be more.  Thanks. . 

Seconded!

Former DuPont CEO pays record price for Adelicia penthouse condo

http://m.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/12/former-dupont-chief-pays-record-price-for-adelicia.html

I think there was also a 2mill condo sold in 1212 building to an out of state Boston couple.

I think Tony will definitely have demand for Paramount for the high-end buyers. Especially with the views his building will offer.

• Like 1

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I noticed this 30 minute "behind the scenes" look at construction in Nashville by News Channel 5  called "Behind The Lens"(must have been aired either this summer or early fall).  Some great shots of construction all around the city.

http://www.jrn.com/newschannel5/news/Behind-The-Lens-2014-287344831.html

(btw...a lot of this is about gentrification and some of the Nashville citizens being upset by the changes.)

Edited by titanhog