Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I guess the question is, "How much will Nashville (or Brentwood... or M'boro... or H'ville... or Mt. Juliet... et.al.) be willing to pay?"  

Memphis is paying $9.5 million for their version of ikea.  Hmmmmm... I personally don't think a store is worth that. Then again, they were pretty desperate to get a Bass Pro go to the "Great American Pyramid".  

http://www.knoxnews.com/business/ikea-seeks-95-million-tax-incentive-in-memphis

Project was conceptual

Don't know on what site for which could have been conceived, though, unless remotely it could have been for the NE corner of Richard Jones Rd. and US-431.  The curvature in the roadway depicted in the lower-left of the plan could have been intended as part of the proposed re-alignment of RJ with Abbott-Martin Rd., in the overall Trans. Plan for GH, and the "paths" in the upper and right portions of the drawing could be auxil. roads in the complex.  Even before and after the Hillsboro HS plan of recent last year, there have been proposals to change the roadway layouts throughout much of those superblock tracts.

Since Hastings supposedly had been handling the design for the Southern Land job directly across RJ Rd., they might have just been "trigger-happy" with aspiration.  Just a thought, though; I could be way off from where it might have been intended.

-==-

It was conceptual for the lot on Cleghorn where the new parking garage is being constructed.

Actually, Cleghorn had been my first impulse because of that building, Tokyo Japanese Steak House (LaPaz. Steak & Ale, Jolly Ox), and the garage next to it.  I just could not figure how to "match" the street layout with the newest structures already along that road, but now I see how it ties in (to Cresmoor).  Reckon the current construction is the result of the commitment to retail expansion at the Mall, as eventually the garage bridged to the western entry to Dillard's (to the right of that illustration, beyond the divided drive) is to be razed.

-==-

I agree.  There are so many opportunities for developers to turn an eyesore into a goldmine, with some foresight.  Something that will possibly double the life-span of what they are developing.

• Like 3

"The development will cost $289 million in all, with the city and state paying nearly half the cost through various forms of subsidy." WDRB.com

Story on wdrb.com also indicates the development will include a parking garage, apartments & a grocery store.

Sounds like the people at Omni know how to negotiate deals. Didn't we give them some incredible deal as well?  

As for the size, maybe it is more Omni learning from their mistakes and going bigger. Seems like multiple people on here have said that Omni regretted not building more rooms here

I heard that the Louisville mayor insisted on 30-stories (or more) to qualify for the incentives. And the city is paying a whopper of an incentive.  Certainly, they learned how to squeeze out the incentives with their experience with Metro.  Regarding the height of the Louisville hotel, I believe it is 600 rooms... pretty much on the same footprint as the Nashville hotel... all topped with condos that make up the height to 30 stories.  At least that is my understanding.

Personally, I don't think the Omni looks good any/much taller, as it's a pretty "squatty body".  It is attractive enough, but when it is topped with extra floors with balconies, that will make it far less attractive (IMHO). From what I see in the Louisville project, it should activate the street side for the whole block quite nicely.

Edited by MLBrumby