Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Top Golf looking at 14 acres on Cowan Street across the river from Germantown.

I'm scratching my head on this a little, just because it doesn't seem like the best location for something like this.  This area is very industrial, but maybe they're thinking it will improve and become less industrial over time?

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2015/01/topgolf-negotiating-for-14-acrenashville-site.html

Except for us on this board, I don't think anyone notices the build environment. I don't think the built forms listed by WW have anything to do with one's reason for moving here. If that were the case, two of our youngest team members where I work who just moved here from NYC and Atlanta would have stayed if that were the reason. They came here for one reason, and one only...a job offer that they did not get in NYC or Atlanta. I doubt either of these 22 year olds noticed our built fabric at all, especially coming from those cities.

They move for a variety of reasons;

1) Economics. Can they find a job to support their lifestyle.

2) Schools. Can they find good schools for their children.

3) Entertainment. Is there a quality of life that is family friendly.

4) Sustainability. Does the city offer living choices that are attractive to a variety of lifestyles.

5 Crime. How safe is the city?

One reason I would never move to Birmingham, Memphis, Louisville, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Little Rock, Knoxville, Austin, Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, San Antonio, Tucson, etc... are simple economics. What could those cities offer me that Nashville could not? If it were $100,000 a year salary, and a cheaper place to leave, I would consider moving; but Nashville has cache', and with the exception of Austin, the others do not have cache' or a brand name. I like being in a brand name city.

As most of you know, I am pro-Nashville, in large part, because my family and friends live here and I have a vested interest (through my job and just because I'm a resident) in seeing the city do well. I am biased, and understandably so.  

So that begs the question: Hypothetically, if I lived in a peer city (Austin, Charlotte, Indy, etc.) and visited Nashville for the first time, what WOULD I like with Nashville's built form and function?. 

So here we go: The good about Nashville's built form and function were I a nonresident and to visit for the first time:

WW

Nicer people, better food - that is why I moved here!

Yes, taxes are MUCH lower, schools are better, roads are better, the weather is warmer, etc. And there is always so much to do here. Downtown/Lower Broad is impressive and all other cities envy this. But this city has an aggressive pro-business stance that drives growth - Nashville WANTS to grow. And each day, you can SEE things getting better. 20 years ago is when I decided to make Nashville home. No regrets.

The bottom line: my quality of life is much better here than in other cities.

**WW, I hope you understand that I answered your question truthfully....

Nicer people, better food - that is why I moved here!

Yes, taxes are MUCH lower, schools are better, roads are better, the weather is warmer, etc. And there is always so much to do here. Downtown/Lower Broad is impressive and all other cities envy this. But this city has an aggressive pro-business stance that drives growth - Nashville WANTS to grow. And each day, you can SEE things getting better. 20 years ago is when I decided to make Nashville home. No regrets.

The bottom line: my quality of life is much better here than in other cities.

**WW, I hope you understand that I answered your question truthfully....

FBoy, I appreciate the response.

thx

WW

So, now what?

With much anticipation, we have now seen Google's announcement, renderings of the Paramount, Virgin Hotel, Turnberry Development, the Emery/McMillan project, ground breakings for Bridgestone, The Westin, Aertson and SoBro and proposals for several mid-rise apartment and mixed use buildings in MidTown. All in just the past few months. So, now what?

I feel like we are about to hit a lull in the revelation of new, big project developments. Right now, I suppose we can look with reasonable anticipation toward groundbreakings for The Paramount, Emery/McMillan. Maybe the West End Summit project will move forward. I suppose there will be a Canopy Hotel announcement, or a 15 story office building in the Gulch, but unless something spectacular happens, it sure will seem to be slow. There sure doesn't seem to be any strong rumors of  any 'wow' factor projects. ???

• Like 1

So, now what?

With much anticipation, we have now seen Google's announcement, renderings of the Paramount, Virgin Hotel, Turnberry Development, the Emery/McMillan project, ground breakings for Bridgestone, The Westin, Aertson and SoBro and proposals for several mid-rise apartment and mixed use buildings in MidTown. All in just the past few months. So, now what?

I feel like we are about to hit a lull in the revelation of new, big project developments. Right now, I suppose we can look with reasonable anticipation toward groundbreakings for The Paramount, Emery/McMillan. Maybe the West End Summit project will move forward. I suppose there will be a Canopy Hotel announcement, or a 15 story office building in the Gulch, but unless something spectacular happens, it sure will seem to be slow. There sure doesn't seem to be any strong rumors of  any 'wow' factor projects. ???

You talked West End Summit up...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/01/27/terwilliger-pappas-eyes-apartments-west-end-summit-site/22428255/

Well we have been speculating on WES lately and have seen the Intercontinental back on Construction Wire, workers on site, the property sold to Corner Partnership on 17th& State.

I have been hearing rumblings for a while.

As for the Spectrum project, I have heard a possible 4 th quarter start. .?????.?.? Remain on both.

My inclination is to ignore your gambit, just say 'no', yet I will indulge a bit of tit-for-tat if just to remind you that all along my argument was that the free-market is the best path forward and that regulation and government overreach is a natural drag on innovation. That being said, I refer you to the latest regarding the upcoming Feb. 26th decision on net neutrality .... it seems that the FCC Chair is attempting to 'split the baby' and thus I believe that the reclassification of broadband under Telecommunications Title II is not to be.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/net-neutrality-timeline/

November 11: FCC Chairman “visibly frustrated” after Obama’s announcement

The day after Obama’s declaration of full support for Net neutrality, FCC Chairman Wheeler met with executives from Google, Yahoo, Etsy, and others to again discuss the issue. According to four different people who attended the meeting and later spoke to the Washington Post, Wheeler appeared “visibly frustrated,” and said point blank that he can’t follow Obama’s recommendations to the letter, but will instead pursue a compromise.

“What you want is what everyone wants: an open Internet that doesn’t affect your business,” Wheeler reportedly said. “What I’ve got to figure out is how to split the baby.”

In the past Wheeler has proposed a hybrid approach to the issue and it seems that he still considers Internet fast lanes an option. Most advocates for an open Internet agree that Wheeler’s approach gives too much power to ISPs and could result in the unequal treatment of some websites.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/net-neutrality-timeline/4/#ixzz3Q5NClNyo 
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter {sodEmoji.|} digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

Phew.....

I thought NashvilleBound and FMJ told me this wasn't going to happen because of changes in Net Neutrality. Instead we have Comcast, ATT, and Google bringing Gigbit speeds to our city in the coming years. :)

True, you are not as dogmatic as fmj. I appreciate your views and agree with some of them. I think the Internet and access to the Internet and rights to that access have changed over time. Most of tech America seems to agree with me, as does all the tech scene in Nashville as judged by my fb feed. That seems to be what matters.

Just a service announcement for everyone, I know most of us use google maps and a few of us use google earth. I use earth quite a bit.

well starting today google earth Pro is free to anyone. 

again Free, to Anyone.

it has many more advanced features than the regular, but I personally will like that it measures area not just length.

• Like 2

Just a service announcement for everyone, I know most of us use google maps and a few of us use google earth. I use earth quite a bit.

well starting today google earth Pro is free to anyone. 

again Free, to Anyone.

it has many more advanced features than the regular, but I personally will like that it measures area not just length.

Thanks!    Good to know.  

Related, topic, but some of you are quite good at capturing and pasting screen shots from street view.   That trick has eluded me, so far.    Anyone care to share how that's done?