Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

District 2 Council representative Frank Harrison has introduced an ordinance that requires details including a drawing or rendering to be posted for large construction/demolition projects.   http://www.nashville.gov/mc/ordinances/term_2011_2015/bl2015_1016.htm  It is as if he were reading UA's mind! 

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3

The Toronto Star features Nashville as a great hockey town!  

“You know the NHL tradition of the rookie dinner or the fathers’ trip?” says Grimson. “Nashville is now the kind of place where teams will schedule those trips — the fathers’ tip, the rookie dinner. They’ll build those things into the stay in Nasvhille.

“It gives you the sense it’s no longer just a stop on the circuit. It’s a unique place where people want to spend time.”

Hat tip to NBJ...  http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/02/01/raucous-nashville-hockey-scene-fuels-predators-rise.html

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

Bridgestone/The GEC/Sommet Center is in a great location, right off the strip, walking distance from tons of bars, restaurants and hotels.  It's not unheard of for a stadium to be in the heart of the entertainment district but there are some examples of horrendous stadium locations.  Arizona, who moved there stadium from the CBD out to the 'burbs comes to mind.  They're having even more trouble getting people into the stadium now that it's way out there and the 'Yotes are awful.  The Florida Panthers stadium has always been in Sunrise, FL which is north of Miami and on the edge of the Florida Everglades.

If you watched the game tonight you could see that it was better attended than normal Tuesday night games due to the influx of Leafs fans.  They come fly down here, party, and stay in a hotel for a few days for less than attending a game in their home arena.  There was a blog a few years ago where it was cheaper for a Vancouver Canucks fan to buy season tickets to the Panthers and attend a few games in person than it was to go to a handful of games in Vancouver.  It really is mind blowing.

Hopefully, we don't ever get in a position where we have to move the arena.Thankfully, now that we have a local ownership group, that won't be a reality as opposed to if we had a single owner.

• Like 1

Article from NBJ about MDHA issuing a RFP for (up to 9 acres of) land south of RMH (parts adjacent to the Trolley Barns) and the grassy lot at the corner of KVB and 1st/Hermitage.

From NBJ...   http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/02/metro-aims-to-redevelop-land-by-pinewood-social.html

Which brings to mind another question:  What is the timetable for extending Division eastward to 2nd Avenue via Ash Street?

Finally, a lesser question... Are there any plans announced for the parcel along KVB between 1st and 2nd Avenues?  I don't recall anyone even buying that lot in recent years.  It appears to be vacant, with part of a parking lot.  

Which brings to mind another question:  What is the timetable for extending Division eastward to 2nd Avenue via Ash Street?

Not that this is necessarily current, but the project site indicates they are still in the process of acquiring ROW. That being said, it does also indicate that it would be completed late 2015...

Guess they better get moving!

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 2

Recent Vanderbilt Hustler opinion column regarding the gentrification of Nashville:

http://www.vanderbilthustler.com/opinion/article_ce9cf3aa-abf5-11e4-a6ea-5fcd6f0f0e3a.html

Music pulses through these streets like blood through arteries; it is the heart of the town, even as industries like health care and banking diversify the economy and drive prosperity. This increasing wealth is a good thing — if it is applied the right way.  Urban development in this city doesn’t need to replace such unique and character-laden places as 12th & Porter; at the very least, the venue could have been left in place, and planners could have surrounded it with new apartments, building a community around a hub of live music and entertainment. Such a move might not have made quite as much money in the short run as will the current redevelopment plans, but it would have kept intact a core principle powering immigration to Nashville: that it has managed to hold fast to the cultural qualities that separate it from other similar cities while simultaneously hosting a booming job market. Remove the idiosyncratic culture, and Nashville is no longer a special place.
  • Like 4

I enjoy iconic venues as much as anyone but progress/gentrification/almighty dollar/etc...(pick your narrative) is good in my book. I have lived downtown for 10 years and the growth has made everything better...well except traffic but swimsuit models ...what is a man to do??

And I am not being tone-deaf... I am sure the rising prices have displaced some renters or home owners..... unfortunately they will have to move. At various stages in my life I have had to move or been priced out of areas of cities that were more desirable.... I drove further or settled in a less desirable or transitional (read: high crime) close-in neighborhood.... these are the trade-offs that everyone must make. 

As as for the call to action in the column's last paragraph....

And let its closing remind you that there’s a reason Nashville is Music City, and that we mustn’t let impulsive urban development make that title ring hollow.

what exactly does he recommend you do to 'save' 12 and Porters et al? Bottomline is that if the venue was raking-in cash it would be less likely to close... hopefully a larger population of music lovers can support many existing and new musical venues.

Edited by Guest

All of those "Keep ________ Weird" slogans are starting to ring true about Nashville as well, methinks. I never really understood the whole concept when visiting other cities, but it's different when your home is changing.

I can see where the fears come from here in Nashville, though I don't think the risk of losing our identity is as severe as anyone editorializes them to be. Living in East Nashville, I see every day the things that make that neighborhood what it is and don't think a few more "tall & skinny"s are going to have that dramatic of an affect on overall vibe. 

Side note: I found evidence of one of Ron's recent escapades:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 4

All of those "Keep ________ Weird" slogans are starting to ring true about Nashville as well, methinks. I never really understood the whole concept when visiting other cities, but it's different when your home is changing.

I can see where the fears come from here in Nashville, though I don't think the risk of losing our identity is as severe as anyone editorializes them to be. Living in East Nashville, I see every day the things that make that neighborhood what it is and don't think a few more "tall & skinny"s are going to have that dramatic of an affect on overall vibe. 

A friend of mine who lives in Pittsburgh has a "Keep Pittsburgh Sh**ty" T-shirt, which I love.  

• Like 1

maxresdefault.jpg

Dang, you busted me. I thought my disguise was good enough to fool you.

I enjoy iconic venues as much as anyone but progress/gentrification/almighty dollar/etc...(pick your narrative) is good in my book. I have lived downtown for 10 years and the growth has made everything better...well except traffic but swimsuit models ...what is a man to do??

And I am not being tone-deaf... I am sure the rising prices have displaced some renters or home owners..... unfortunately they will have to move. At various stages in my life I have had to move or been priced out of areas of cities that were more desirable.... I drove further or settled in a less desirable or transitional (read: high crime) close-in neighborhood.... these are the trade-offs that everyone must make. 

As as for the call to action in the column's last paragraph....

what exactly does he recommend you do to 'save' 12 and Porters et al? Bottomline is that if the venue was raking-in cash it would be less likely to close... hopefully a larger population of music lovers can support many existing and new musical venues.

Would you feel the same way if Station Inn closed?  What if they were maxing out their capacity every night but couldn't keep up, no matter what, due to the rising prices in "the gulch"?

Remember, they wanted to level The Ryman back in the day.

I have not been to the Station Inn in 2 decades or so but if memory serves I went for the music and not the venue... I am not sure how they could be forced out? Eminent Domain? Offered an crazy large mount of cash? Increased property taxes? That answer would dictate my response.... Eminent Domain - Fight the Power (Public Enemy), Crazy large cash offer in small bills - Take the Money and Run (Steve Miller Band), Increased Property Taxes - Taxman Ska (Babylove & The Van Dangos).

I fully support fans (private citizens) pooling their resources developing a plan to preserve whatever.... homes, restaurants, concert venues, arenas..... just leave big gov't out of the process (except for cursory tax incentives).

Would you feel the same way if Station Inn closed?  What if they were maxing out their capacity every night but couldn't keep up, no matter what, due to the rising prices in "the gulch"?

Remember, they wanted to level The Ryman back in the day.

Nathan Followill of Kings of Leon just made this remark at the SI Swimsuit thing tonight:

"We're very, very upset," Caleb said, before drummer Nathan Followillcut in.

"12th and Porter? It won't be closed for long," he said with a grin, and Caleb then agreed. "Rumor has it around town that it won't be closed for long."

Makes me wonder if the guys in KOL will have something to do with reopening the joint...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/02/11/kings-leon-sports-illustrated-swimsuit-issue/23270677/

• Like 2

that is what I am talking about!

Nathan Followill of Kings of Leon just made this remark at the SI Swimsuit thing tonight:

"We're very, very upset," Caleb said, before drummer Nathan Followillcut in.

"12th and Porter? It won't be closed for long," he said with a grin, and Caleb then agreed. "Rumor has it around town that it won't be closed for long."

Makes me wonder if the guys in KOL will have something to do with reopening the joint...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/02/11/kings-leon-sports-illustrated-swimsuit-issue/23270677/