Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Can we say the CHS Tower? 56 stories, 842 feet, glass with curves and a rooftop bar?  :yahoo:  :good:  :shades:  :whistling:   :silly:   

• Like 3

If I were CHS I would be worried about attracting the needed talent when located in Cool Springs. I think being in a suburban office park will begin to limit their talent pool of potential young employees over the next several years. Being downtown, in Midtown, or along West End enables them to attract the highly educated workforce they need because those potential employees want to live in the city, ride public transit to work, and be able to walk to numerous restaurants and bars after work is over. If they locate in Cool Springs they are going to have to talk employees into driving from Nashville to Cool Springs every day which is about the worst thing for preventing employee turnover. 

• Like 3

If I were CHS I would be worried about attracting the needed talent when located in Cool Springs. I think being in a suburban office park will begin to limit their talent pool of potential young employees over the next several years. Being downtown, in Midtown, or along West End enables them to attract the highly educated workforce they need because those potential employees want to live in the city, ride public transit to work, and be able to walk to numerous restaurants and bars after work is over. If they locate in Cool Springs they are going to have to talk employees into driving from Nashville to Cool Springs every day which is about the worst thing for preventing employee turnover. 

Oh, come on, I'm sure there is a TGI Fridays somewhere within two miles.

Yeah...none of the highly educated live anywhere but downtown.   :dunno:

Not just downtown, but urban neighborhoods in general. The evidence is fairly convincing that highly compensated, highly educated individuals and families are moving back to the city. Clearly, there are still those who choose the suburbs. However, the shift is real, and if CHS or HCA or Bridgestone is looking at recruiting the next crop of executives then it is much easier IMO to sell working downtown and living in 12South or Sylvan Park than it is living in 12South or Sylvan Park and working in Cool Springs.  If you look at median home sale prices between Davidson and Williamson you find that while Williamson is still more expensive than Davidson, Davidson County is appreciating much faster (2.6 times faster for 2014 in fact).  That's evidence, in my opinion, that the balance between people choosing the burbs and city is shifting. 

I think it is also telling that we have seen both Bridgestone and HCA move headquarters downtown. UBS and Asurion have also been making huge investments downtown and expanding their employment numbers there by the hundreds.  A few years ago I think there's no doubt that they would have all located in Cool Springs or around the airport.  Something has changed in the last few years that led them to choose downtown locations. The most expensive rents in the Metro area are in a downtown building that is completely full (Pinnacle).

• Like 1

Not just downtown, but urban neighborhoods in general. The evidence is fairly convincing that highly compensated, highly educated individuals and families are moving back to the city. Clearly, there are still those who choose the suburbs. However, the shift is real, and if CHS or HCA or Bridgestone is looking at recruiting the next crop of executives then it is much easier IMO to sell working downtown and living in 12South or Sylvan Park than it is living in 12South or Sylvan Park and working in Cool Springs.  If you look at median home sale prices between Davidson and Williamson you find that while Williamson is still more expensive than Davidson, Davidson County is appreciating much faster (2.6 times faster for 2014 in fact).  That's evidence, in my opinion, that the balance between people choosing the burbs and city is shifting. 

I think it is also telling that we have seen both Bridgestone and HCA move headquarters downtown. UBS and Asurion have also been making huge investments downtown and expanding their employment numbers there by the hundreds.  A few years ago I think there's no doubt that they would have all located in Cool Springs or around the airport.  Something has changed in the last few years that led them to choose downtown locations. The most expensive rents in the Metro area are in a downtown building that is completely full (Pinnacle).

I agree to an extent.  I would use the word "many" highly educated professionals want to live downtown and work downtown...and it's definitely trending that way more and more...which I like.  But there will always be an element that don't want the hassle of downtown (yes...it is seen as a hassle to some).

If it were up to me, we'd fill downtown with most of the corporate offices that are in Cool Springs...but there will always be an element of highly educated professionals who want something other than downtown.

• Like 1

I doubt chs would go downtown. They are a quite frugal company and it doesn't fit imo

Yeah, I was thinking the Seven Springs area near Brentwood off Old Hickory Boulevard when I read that they are considering Davidson County. That seems more of their cup of tea. Would love to have them in a new tower downtown though. 

Edited by ariesjow

Found this bit of news in the Atlanta forum on Skyscraper Page (Yes, I've been cheating   :whistling:  ).

GuestHouse - A New Concept Coming to Atlanta (Stayed Tuned for Further Details)

THE PLAN.

We will build the first Guesthouse location in the heart of Atlanta, Georgia, with plans to expand to other cities across the country (Dallas, Austin, NYC, Chicago,
Nashville, Tampa). Guesthouse is a truly integrated concept channeling all aspects of a young person’s social and professional life into a single, meaningful and entertaining location.

I wondered if anyone had anymore info on this? Location? Size? Developer?

Info about the Atlanta project...

gh-atlanta-2.jpg

Links..

http://www.exploreguesthouse.com/the-concept/

http://www.sb-architects.com/project/gh-atlanta/

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 2

Not sure but it sounds like a concept that was being talked about for the Gulch. Private Club/remote offices/bar/pool/lounge/healthclub etc...

That concept is being developed by a guy named Adam Rosenberg out of NYC - different than the Guesthouse concept we are talking about here.  I think he was calling it Project Beacon Nashville (www.theprojectbeacon.com).  His firm is called Manhattan Ventures.  

I know he's been in and out of town raising money for it, but I'm not sure if he was ever able to line up the debt piece.  Last I heard he was scouting a couple sites in SoBro.   

The Zoo is getting Bears...YEAH!! :yahoo:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/2/23/permit_patrol_23_february_2015

Bears at the zoo

Solomon Builders has the $4 million permit to build a seven-building Andean bear exhibit at the Nashville Zoo. The exhibit will include space for guinea pig, viewing rooms for visitors to observe the bears and a breeding area for coati, a South American cousin to the raccoon.

So will the gunea pigs, bears, and racoons live together in harmony?

"Only you can prevent forest fires"....

• Like 3