Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Gaylord needs to check out the Kalahari Resorts and Indoor Waterpark. One similar to the one I've visited near Cedarpoint in Ohio would make a killing here, IMO.

Thank you, ariesjow, for even mentioning Cedar Point.  "Little ol' " Sandusky has done wonders to not have to depend on the heavy mfg. business  (e.g. New Departure Roller Bearings) to not only survive but to flourish, as far as entertainment is concerned.

Oh, I sure miss Cedar Point (from when I used to live in Ohio)......

-==-

• Like 2

If we ever land another theme park, I would hope that it would be a Cedar Fair park. I love their theme parks especially Cedarpoint and Kings Island. We go to one almost every year. 

...and too much lost trust from me in Gaylord to be reclaimed in one generation.  I hope that in my lifetime some major theme park can venture into mid-state for that under-served sector of entertainment.  Water parks are great ─ don't get me wrong (although I'm probably beyond that stage in life) ─ but the region has enough cheese balls.

I know I might never get to see one here in my lifetime, any sooner than Amtrak might return here, but the market is just beckoning for some "meat", for a change.  Some site near the "new" old superspeedway at Gladeville perhaps.

-==-

• Like 2

I apologize if this has been posted before/is old news, but I stumbled across this website while searching for images of 1212 and feel pretty sure I haven't seen these photos anywhere before. Go surf through the galleries for some breathtaking images of Nashville.

http://www.wrikerphoto.com/

Incredible photos.  I hope this person takes some new photos of our skyline in the next 2-3 years.

• Like 3

Permit Patrol: 23 March 2015

Hill's Sylvan Heights apartments underway

Brasfield & Gorrie will build the four-story, 246-unit apartment portion of Hill Center Sylvan Heights, a $29.4 million project.

Food court rehab at Tennessee Tower

DWC will rehab the third-floor food court in the Tennessee Tower for $1.25 million and add a Chik-Fil-A for $1 million. - Downtown workers love their Chick-fil-A. This will be the second location after the one in the "ATT Buidling"

Crescent's garage

Balfour Beatty will build the three-level parking garage — which will include the leasing office and some retail space —for Crescent Music City on Division Street. It's a $14.4 million project - They are full steam ahead with this one

Four metros that could be a model for Birmingham

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2015/03/23/four-metros-that-could-be-a-model-for-birmingham.html?page=all

Not trying to start a debate or an us vs them, but I found it interesting that smaller and similiar sized cities in the South are starting to look to Nashville as a metro to emulate.

B'ham is making great strides in creating a vibrant downtown and has a lot going for it. They have the new baseball stadium, the constant grown of UAB, and a new publix going in downtown. I hope they can continue the success. 

From the Article:

1. Nashville

What readers liked: Regional cooperation and metro government, growth rate, urban vibrancy.

Key quote: "There's a real buzz in that city. Young people want to move there. There are lots of job opportunities. Corporations are relocating there whereas here, they are being sold to buyers not from Birmingham."

2. Chattanooga, Tenn.

What readers like: Progressive leadership and ideas, marketing efforts, tech focus

Key quote: "Similar size (to Birmingham), similar obstacles. Development has boomed in Chattanooga and completely transformed the city in way that's similar to Birmingham. But their PR campaign is amazing!! It makes me want to visit without even having a real reason."

Edited by nashmoney

I don't think this was discussed here....how do the UP posters feel about the Metro Council basically creating zoning ordinances to block a single business?

http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/archives/2015/03/04/council-advances-zoning-change-to-block-madison-swingers-club

I don't think this was discussed here....how do the UP posters feel about the Metro Council basically creating zoning ordinances to block a single business?

http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/archives/2015/03/04/council-advances-zoning-change-to-block-madison-swingers-club

Arguably unconstitutional, it's like a bill of atteinder.  

It's also hard for me to imagine what the virtuous citizens think is going to happen if this club gets their way; we all can be glad we remain blissfully ignorant of what goes on behind closed doors all around us.

It would be cool if it went all they way to the supreme court, attracting media coverage until Nashville = sex club in the eyes of the entire country.  

• Like 2

Arguably unconstitutional, it's like a bill of atteinder.  

It's also hard for me to imagine what the virtuous citizens think is going to happen if this club gets their way; we all can be glad we remain blissfully ignorant of what goes on behind closed doors all around us.

It would be cool if it went all they way to the supreme court, attracting media coverage until Nashville = sex club in the eyes of the entire country.  

Or opens the club 1 foot outside of the zone.

Wait...readers liked metro government and regional cooperation? Huh?

If this is really the case (rather than hearsay), likely it's because, either they don't know better, or their own standards of satisfaction, founded on what they perceive of Nashv'l metro govt. and regional co-operation (and perhaps collaboration) are set lower than those of Nashv'l would-be pollsters on a self-query.

I haven't read the article, which of course would be subjective at best, until proven "not guilty" (unfortunately), and I know nothing of the 'Ham's municipal and county structure of governance, other than the fact that the county had filed for bankruptcy a few years back, as a result of some highly questionable decisions.  Perhaps this has had much to do with the financial climate and a general paucity of votes of confidence, as statements bolstered with tangible actions that would show a stability of corporate support.

In any event, I believe that any value of poll rating is all relative and peculiar (in this sense, distinctive in nature or character from others) to the target audience, with respect personal interpretation.  I don't think that I would just walk up to a B'ham resident or two and ask them, if they preferred Nashville over the 'Ham, but then that's not how meaningful data is harvested.

-==-

Return to the UP discussion around the Council bill to block Walgreens on Lower Broad by requiring retail to carry a majority of "local" products. I'd say there was a split of opinion around landowner rights vs govt regulation.

Musicians Hall of Fame plans 'major announcement' Thursday

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/03/musicians-hall-of-fame-plans-major-announcement.html

Quote:

Officials are expected to announce a new partnership with the Los Angeles-based Grammy Museum. According to The Tennessean, the public-private partnership — facilitated by music exec and philanthropist Mike Curb

• Like 1

Musicians Hall of Fame plans 'major announcement' Thursday

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/03/musicians-hall-of-fame-plans-major-announcement.html

Quote:

Officials are expected to announce a new partnership with the Los Angeles-based Grammy Museum. According to The Tennessean, the public-private partnership — facilitated by music exec and philanthropist Mike Curb

Turns out Dean wants to give them $1,000,000 of city money to put in a little wing to show off Grammy statues. Apparently those things are amazing tourist draws.

Nashville's plan for future arrives today

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2015/03/27/nashvilles-plan-future-arrives-today/70409900/

http://www.nashville.gov/Government/NashvilleNext.aspx

First person to read all 900 pages wins a prize!

OK, finished!

No but really, instead I really waiting for the MPO release of the updated plan of transportation, that keeps on getting updated every 5 or 7 years or so, with all cheese and bread but with no beef.  Even that, though, needs a better level of engagement with a more embraced level of stakeholder awareness in developing a vision.

-==-

Turns out Dean wants to give them $1,000,000 of city money to put in a little wing to show off Grammy statues. Apparently those things are amazing tourist draws.

The partnership with the Grammy organization is NOT to add a display of "Grammy statues." Apparently you don't actually READ the news of an announcement before adding a snarky comment. Here's some information from channel 4 coverage of the story that you might find enlightening. (I think it's a worthwhile investment of my tax dollars!)

Mayor Karl Dean said he's asking the city to invest $1 million in the exhibit for construction and operation. This would come from the Metro Government's 4 percent fund, which is used for facility improvements and equipment purchases. The first reading for Metro Council is scheduled for April 7.

Private donations need to match between $500,000 and $1 million.

The 7,000 square foot gallery, which is being touted as "100 percent interactive," could open in early August inside the first floor of the Nashville Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum inside Municipal Auditorium.

Dean called it "a great place to inspire and nurture students' musical dreams."

Visitors will be able to experience the creative process of making music hands-on, including everything from songwriting and producing to engineering, mixing and singing.

The Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum is also getting a significant expansion.

Copyright 2015 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

• Like 1

Great for a few of us "downeasterners", including mongrel-easterners like me, who once lived within 3-4 hours of Atlantic City, but it's interesting that Atlantic City would be made a non-stop from Nashville.  I admit that I had never heard of this "Choice Aire" until now, and I just hope that the market niche is sustainable, so it won't end up being "fly by night", so to speak.

I would expect Miami to have non-stops, and we need a "choice" other than the monopoly USAir-American from BNA.  Not sure, but I believe I might have flown non-stop to Miami via Eastern, back in the late '60s.

-==-