Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I'm glad this is finally done and over-with, but I really hope that this is the last...yes, literally the last, major new highway construction project in metro Nashville. The LAST thing we need at this point is more expressways.

Not sure if we'll see more expressways, but I think we certainly need to fix the ones we have. Especially 440. The downtown loop could use an overhaul as well. I think for the most part, the suburban interstates are OK for now (once they fix 65 south of Franklin).

Will 840 ever be signed as an interstate highway? Someone told me 440, even though signed as such, isn't an interstate highway.

IIRC, the feds offered to pitch in on 840 and make it an interstate, but the state didn't want to (I think they wanted complete control of the road or something like that).

440 is an interstate. It started out as a parkway where no trucks were allowed...but since the road was built with federal money, they had to change that rule.

I'm glad this is finally done and over-with, but I really hope that this is the last...yes, literally the last, major new highway construction project in metro Nashville. The LAST thing we need at this point is more expressways.

I actually don't have a problem with these types of expressways. 840 will divert a significant amount of through truck traffic around Nashville, clearing up conjestion in the core. It's expanding highways in the core that I have an issue with!

I actually don't have a problem with these types of expressways. 840 will divert a significant amount of through truck traffic around Nashville, clearing up conjestion in the core. It's expanding highways in the core that I have an issue with!

I was afraid 840 might lead to Atlanta-like development, but now I suspect the trends are against that kind of thing. Hopefully it will help the core, since right now half the traffic is people and trucks passing through the city rather than to destinations in the city.

If it were up to me we'd turn 65 and 24 inside the 440/Briley loop into large, divided boulevards like the ones in Kansas City (with big park-like medians) well connected to the neighborhoods they pass through, and tell the through traffic to go on Briley. This would get rid of those big, slow junctions.

I was afraid 840 might lead to Atlanta-like development, but now I suspect the trends are against that kind of thing. Hopefully it will help the core, since right now half the traffic is people and trucks passing through the city rather than to destinations in the city.

If it were up to me we'd turn 65 and 24 inside the 440/Briley loop into large, divided boulevards like the ones in Kansas City (with big park-like medians) well connected to the neighborhoods they pass through, and tell the through traffic to go on Briley. This would get rid of those big, slow junctions.

That's always a risk, however, considering how wide the loop is and how far the connectors are from the CBD, I don't think it will have a lot of development springing up around it. Also, 840 doesn't provide good connection to Nashville at all. If you're living between 40 and 65, for instance, along the route of 840, you'd be better off using one of the existing surface roads to get to Nashville. Taking 840 to 40 or 65, unless you live within a few miles of one or the other, would be a huge detour that would just take you farther from the city.

That's always a risk, however, considering how wide the loop is and how far the connectors are from the CBD, I don't think it will have a lot of development springing up around it. Also, 840 doesn't provide good connection to Nashville at all. If you're living between 40 and 65, for instance, along the route of 840, you'd be better off using one of the existing surface roads to get to Nashville. Taking 840 to 40 or 65, unless you live within a few miles of one or the other, would be a huge detour that would just take you farther from the city.

840 has and will continue to spur some development. I think most of it will be in Rutherford County, but there is definitely going to be some development in Thompson's Station and the south side of Franklin as well. I also think Fairview will see a little more development on their end. There will also probably be an increase in industrial/commercial warehouse space in Wilson County.

But...this isn't going to be like I-285...and that was the intention. 285 is 10-15 miles outside Atlanta. 840 is 25-30 miles outside of Nashville.

So, I saw this in the city paper...

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2012/8/3/permit_patrol_3_august_2012

.....about an Ihop going in at Elliston and Louise. Does anyone know which space this is? When I lived on Elliston about 2 years ago, there was La Paz (a small space) on the west side and another Mexican place (bigger space) on the east side. I'm guessing the bigger space has closed as I can't imaging an Ihop in the La Paz space.

I'm sure Cafe Coco isn't too thrilled about this.

So, I saw this in the city paper...

http://nashvillepost...l_3_august_2012

.....about an Ihop going in at Elliston and Louise. Does anyone know which space this is? When I lived on Elliston about 2 years ago, there was La Paz (a small space) on the west side and another Mexican place (bigger space) on the east side. I'm guessing the bigger space has closed as I can't imaging an Ihop in the La Paz space.

I'm sure Cafe Coco isn't too thrilled about this.

It will be where FIesta Azteka was. And yeah, Chuck is pissed about it.

Well, if Chuck is the owner of Coco an if you know him personally, you can tell him not to worry. People go to Cafe Coco for a reason, because it's not Ihop. I've been going there for what seems like 20 years and when I move back, it will still be my breakfast/coffee of choice. In fact, when I proposed to my wife we both had a cup of their brew in our hands.

Just talking about that place makes we want a Turkey Rock soooooo badly!

Well, if Chuck is the owner of Coco an if you know him personally, you can tell him not to worry. People go to Cafe Coco for a reason, because it's not Ihop. I've been going there for what seems like 20 years and when I move back, it will still be my breakfast/coffee of choice. In fact, when I proposed to my wife we both had a cup of their brew in our hands.

Just talking about that place makes we want a Turkey Rock soooooo badly!

Yeah, met my wife there. Was a Coco-nut for years. Spent so much time there I could have legally received mail at one point.

Haha. You and me both. You may have been one of those people I saw and thought to myself "wow, I basically live here, but that person is here more than I am!". There was a good stretch of two years (junior/senior year) where I was probably there about 6 hours a day. Even more on the weekends.

I didn't realize the Homewood Suites site on West End was so deep until yesterday as I got a good look and saw how far down the dump trucks and excavation equipment is. My god, it's huge! I definitely expect a tower crane, but just one.

In regard to ServiceSource, I didn't relaize we're their regional HQ and major sales center. Another sign on a building means a bit brighter and more visible skyline, in a way. Always a good thing.

More apartments for 8Th South in Berry Hill

http://www.bizjourna...-apartment.html

You know, with just a few developments, Berry Hill could rapidly increase its population. 266 units...say, conservatively, 400 residents. That town only has 537 residents...in 0.9 square miles, which is mostly industrial, commercial, cemetery, and interstate. This one project could spur a 75% growth rate for the town.

• Like 1

Yeah, too bad there is no ground level retail, :(.

I'm OK with this one having no retail. Berry Hill has no lack of retail :) Ground-level retail is nice, but not every building has to have it.

Plus, the absence of retail in this particular building might help to lessen the amount of curb cuts that are requested.

I do hope that it is built out to the street. For that matter, I hope that the structured parking entrance is off of Bradford so that there is no curb cut along Franklin Road at all. That will be good to eliminate one more giant parking lot along Franklin Road.

I'm OK with this one having no retail. Berry Hill has no lack of retail :) Ground-level retail is nice, but not every building has to have it.

Plus, the absence of retail in this particular building might help to lessen the amount of curb cuts that are requested.

I do hope that it is built out to the street. For that matter, I hope that the structured parking entrance is off of Bradford so that there is no curb cut along Franklin Road at all. That will be good to eliminate one more giant parking lot along Franklin Road.

Gotcha, that is good to hear.

I had no idea that Sarah Cannon Research Institute was looking for up 150,000 square feet of office space. Could be a shot inthe arm for one of the many delayed office buildings DT.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/print-edition/2012/08/17/nashvilles-sarah-cannon-hunts-for-space.html

The article does say there is a lot of space available DT, however it is starting to move and there could be new office space under construction. There is a need for large blocks of class A space. So we could see several buildings under construction as some point and the article does mention WES, Eakin, The Gulch Crossings, and One City. The Research Institute wants to be inside the 440 loop.