Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Here's a couple available from Google Street View.

Alpine Avenue:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.201994,-86.827953,3a,75y,145.73h,79.49t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRbkXyaiPIOurEWeOfZvmMA!2e0

Summitt Avenue:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.197463,-86.831311,3a,75y,151.48h,79.24t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9qZYxOaYw16WBssQ_WYF6A!2e0

The houses on Cliff Drive (next to the river) probably have good views, as does the Kelly Miller Smith Towers housing, but I can't get a view from the street.

Thing is, there aren't a lot of residential areas in Bordeaux where one can get elevation above the tree line to catch a glimpse of the skyline. I've attached an image that sort of shows the terrain and there are two decent-sized hills, but the rest is fairly flat or blocked by these hills.

attachicon.gifBordeauxTerrain.jpg

In any case, I have to get back to playing Pac-Man: Nashville Streets Edition for the rest of the day.

Thanks for the post!

I think it has been mentioned before, but did the Sheraton Hotel undergo some renovations? I drove by downtown for the first time in months and it looked different than I remember. It was very white/bright, and honestly I don't know if I like it.

It did and it's a huge improvement.

I think it has been mentioned before, but did the Sheraton Hotel undergo some renovations? I drove by downtown for the first time in months and it looked different than I remember. It was very white/bright, and honestly I don't know if I like it.

I don't care for the bright white.  Wish they would have used a different color.

I think it's better than the drab color it was before. At least it stands out and the interior is very nice. Went in there with my son when I was home visiting for Christmas. He got a kick out of the glass elevators. Too bad the restaurant is no longer open.

I think it's better than the drab color it was before. At least it stands out and the interior is very nice. Went in there with my son when I was home visiting for Christmas. He got a kick out of the glass elevators. Too bad the restaurant is no longer open.

...and that it also no longer revolves (since quite a while back), as it had, when it had been the Polaris, under the original Hyatt Regency mgmt. (when it first opened during the mid '70s).  The Polaris at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta, originally opened around 1967, continues to revolve, after it had been shut down in 2004 and reopened in 2014 after extensive renovation.  The older Atlanta Polaris, always had been a much more dazzling design, with its signature blue-glass dome, compared to the "Jetsons" inverted-flare and rather bland design of the one on the former Nashville Hyatt.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

I stayed in the Sheraton one night as a result of one of the ice storms. The property is much improved from a few years ago, with the biggest improvement being a complete bathroom renovation. The rooms are very sleek and stylish, but I was a bit surprised at the tell-tale signs of wear & tear that are already obvious! I would rate it 4.5 out of 5.0 on my personal satisfaction scale.

Ok...just doing a mental check on imminent construction on major projects.  From what I can remember...Virgin Hotel should break ground any time now (still waiting on final financing?)...JW Marriott is scheduled to break ground this summer after the Methodist Publishing place moves...and the Emery project could break ground as early as late this year (after financing is complete?)   

Is that all, as far as the "big" projects?  Any I'm missing?

I  would include Tony G's 505 Church St project. In many ways it has started since its parking garage is currently under construction.  I would also include M Residence at 19th and Chet Atkins. It will rise either 17 or 19 stories and is set to start work end of this year or beginning of 2016. The Printers Alley Hotel renovation and expansion will take place later this year. Do we have  timeframe for the michael Hayes tower? I suspect it would be well into 2016 before it rises. The Thompson Hotel is fenced off, but I don't know if construction has technically started yet or not.  There are also medium sized projects like the Forestar project on 17th Ave S and the Crescent project on Division.  Lastly, does anyone remember the time frame on Skyhouse?

• Like 1

And in other Grocery news.....

Harris Teeter to close Nashville stores, sell 3 to Kroger

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2015/04/07/harris-teeter-nashville-stores-kroger/25403677/

The Nashville grocery market is already pretty crowded and competitive, so maybe they didn't have what it takes to survive in our markey. These 4 closures works out well for Kroger though.

Edited by nashmoney

And in other Grocery news.....

Harris Teeter to close Nashville stores, sell 3 to Kroger

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2015/04/07/harris-teeter-nashville-stores-kroger/25403677/

The Nashville grocery market is already pretty crowded and competitive, so maybe they didn't have what it takes to survive in our markey. These 4 closures works out well for Kroger though.

The Harris Teeter in Brentwood and the Village are going to be big losses - they were always slammed.

The Harris Teeter in Brentwood and the Village are going to be big losses - they were always slammed.

I agree. I don't see why they are closing. Everyone I have visited was always very busy. This looks like Kroger wants more stores in Nashville and saw the 3 stores of HT as an opportunity to add on to their market share, but you would think with Kroger owning HT it wouldn't matter.

Since we're talking about grocery stores. . . there was a big discussion on Nextdoor about the Rosa Parks Kroger.  Apparently, there are 3 tiers of Krogers:  Value, Mainstream, and Upscale.  Current it's classified as Mainstream, but a neighbor in the business broke the news that the store is being reclassed (downgraded?) to a "value" store.  This means, among other things, that there will be more space devoted to Kroger brand products, and less for national brands.  Additionally, space of natural/organic/health food will be reduced.  This caused quite a stir in the surrounding neighborhoods on the board.    

Kroger owns all of Harris Teeter as of a year ago, so the "sale" of Harris Teeter to Kroger likely wasn't because of lack of sales. It's likely more of an issue of increased economies of scale for Kroger. Hopefully they keep the best parts of these stores (like the drive thru pickup we use all the time).

We do not have Kroger in Chattanooga.  They used to be here (before 1990s???)... and some people remember them.  There are still some of their old style buildings around here, used as BI-LO or an independent grocer.  People who remember them say they were even more "gross" than in other cities.  Perhaps that's why they left this market.  My mother shopped them when I was a kid... and there were still Big Stars, which became A&P... anyone remember "Futurestore"? (now closed), but that was before Publix came to Atlanta.

• Like 1

Guess I'll just have to shop at Publix now. Kroger's efforts in the Nashville market have been poor at best. I have little doubt that their replacement of the HT at 21st/Blair will be a significant downgrade from what is currently a clean and pleasant shopping experience.

• Like 2

I remember Kroger's fondly as it was where my mom would shop when I was a kid growing up in Hendersonville.  I'm not sure if it's still there or not, but there was one off of Gallatin Road we'd go to every week, and I liked it because they gave kids a free sugar cookie.  I'm sure my opinion of them would be different now.  haha

Guess I'll just have to shop at Publix now. Kroger's efforts in the Nashville market have been poor at best. I have little doubt that their replacement of the HT at 21st/Blair will be a significant downgrade from what is currently a clean and pleasant shopping experience.

Agreed.  It's as if Kroger is throwing in the towel and conceding to Publix when it comes to a more pleasant grocery shopping experience.  It's one of the reasons I despise Kroger.  They have an almost one-size-fits-all attitude towards their stores, whether they're suburban or urban.  The quality of their own Kroger branded stuff is lousy, and I have no doubt that they're going to ruin those wonderful Harris-Teeter stores.

While I know they're not going to do this in Nashville, I'm still baffled at what Kroger did in Midtown Memphis.  Kroger bought out all of the Schnuck's locations in Memphis (Schnuck's is a nice, family-owned chain out of St Louis), including a small location in Midtown that had originally been built as a Seessel's, the venerated old Memphis family-run grocer that was then sold to Albertson's, then to Schnuck's, and now Kroger.  Rather than spruce up that location to make it a nicer place like an urban Publix or the Hillsboro Village Harris-Teeter, Kroger bought the 15-story apartment tower next door and demolished everything:  the apartment tower AND the grocery store in order to build a suburban style Kroger, complete with a massive parking lot, right there in the middle of Midtown.  It's shameful and shows a complete lack of respect on Kroger's part.  Their attitude seems to be, screw you, we'll do what we want because we're big and you need us more than we need you.

• Like 2