Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Kroger seems to almost have that "Wal-Mart" attitude of building a warehouse, lower the prices and that's good enough.  I feel the same in both stores (Kroger or Wal Mart)...that I will be run over by a cart at any moment...or they'll have an aisle blocked while restocking at 5pm on a Friday during the busiest hour of the week.

I feel like I can at least breathe in a store like Publix (or Target).  (and this comes from someone who grew up shopping at Kroger and Wal Mart).

We do not have Kroger in Chattanooga.  They used to be here (before 1990s???)... and some people remember them.  There are still some of their old style buildings around here, used as BI-LO or an independent grocer.  People who remember them say they were even more "gross" than in other cities.  Perhaps that's why they left this market.  My mother shopped them when I was a kid... and there were still Big Stars, which became A&P... anyone remember "Futurestore"? (now closed), but that was before Publix came to Atlanta.

That's why we "ran" 'em out of my mom's hometown of Greensboro, NC.  I don't think they last even 5 years there.  What does bother me though, even though all my family there has passed on (except my mom who is here in Nashville), is that H-T always had been a stronghold in that region (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point NC), so I have no idea what's to become of those stores.

I think the combination of rebranding their HT stores as Kroger and supposedly downgrading their Rosa Parks store shows a serious lack of market recognition by Kroger. Their stores are not seen favorably, fair or not, compared to Publix. Seems like it would make more sense to keep popular HT stores branded as HT rather than risk losing those customers. As far as the Rosa Parks store goes, if true, one has to wonder if their analysts even glance at demographic, real estate, and other trends.

A solid assessment.  Nothing could be closer to the truth.

-==-

The NBJ says that 1.8 million s.f. of office space is planned to come online in the next two years, but "the problem" is that 75% is already spoken for...

Nashville is now in the nation's Top 10 CBRE markets...   http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/04/nashvilles-biggest-retail-barrier-and-other.html?page=all

• Like 2

The NBJ says that 1.8 million s.f. of office space is planned to come online in the next two years, but "the problem" is that 75% is already spoken for...

Nashville is now in the nation's Top 10 CBRE markets... http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/04/nashvilles-biggest-retail-barrier-and-other.html?page=all

Truth. Even with the buildings coming online there will be no available office space. It just doesn't impact the insane demand.

Bridgestone Arena ranks #5 in the world for first quarter ticket sales.  #2 for US sales.  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/04/bridgestone-arena-breaks-into-the-worlds-op-5-for.html

And as the article says, this does not include sporting events like Preds games or the SEC Tourney, which add another 600,000 to that figure.

I think the combination of rebranding their HT stores as Kroger and supposedly downgrading their Rosa Parks store shows a serious lack of market recognition by Kroger. Their stores are not seen favorably, fair or not, compared to Publix. Seems like it would make more sense to keep popular HT stores branded as HT rather than risk losing those customers. As far as the Rosa Parks store goes, if true, one has to wonder if their analysts even glance at demographic, real estate, and other trends.

I don't understand why people think Kroger is trying to become a Publix. The thing is Publix is not Kroger's main competitor. They are not trying to compete with that market. Kroger's biggest competition is Wal-Mart. Kroger is not Publix, nor are they trying to be. 

Kroger seems to almost have that "Wal-Mart" attitude of building a warehouse, lower the prices and that's good enough.  I feel the same in both stores (Kroger or Wal Mart)...that I will be run over by a cart at any moment...or they'll have an aisle blocked while restocking at 5pm on a Friday during the busiest hour of the week.

I feel like I can at least breathe in a store like Publix (or Target).  (and this comes from someone who grew up shopping at Kroger and Wal Mart).

Ding Ding Ding. That is exactly what Kroger is trying to do. They aren't trying to woo you over with their staff, they aren't trying to have the best produce, etc. It is about price and to some point quality. Kroger stock has gone from 22.73 to 77.30 in less than 3 years, so I think they know what they are doing haha.

If you are going to Kroger expecting a Publix then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. That would be like me going to the Honda dealership expecting my Accord to be a Lexus GS. 

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 1

I don't understand why people think Kroger is trying to become a Publix. The thing is Publix is not Kroger's main competitor. They are not trying to compete with that market. Kroger's biggest competition is Wal-Mart. Kroger is not Publix, nor are they trying to be. 

Ding Ding Ding. That is exactly what Kroger is trying to do. They aren't trying to woo you over with their staff, they aren't trying to have the best produce, etc. It is about price and to some point quality. Kroger stock has gone from 22.73 to 77.30 in less than 3 years, so I think they know what they are doing haha.

If you are going to Kroger expecting a Publix then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. That would be like me going to the Honda dealership expecting my Accord to be a Lexus GS. 

Agreed. Kroger definitley has the lowest prices compared to Publix and HT. They just about started the whole 10 for $10 deals that everyone is now doing.

Even in the upscale areas of Nashville, Kroger's service does not match Publix's. Just the simple "Can I help you to the car with these groceries" which the ask at every Publix makes a difference. There is always a knowledgeable associate on the floor at Publix that I can ask a question and they answer. Good Luck finding anyone at Kroger for help on the floor...and Walmart is a totally different monster.

• Like 1

Since we're talking about grocery stores. . . there was a big discussion on Nextdoor about the Rosa Parks Kroger.  Apparently, there are 3 tiers of Krogers:  Value, Mainstream, and Upscale.  Current it's classified as Mainstream, but a neighbor in the business broke the news that the store is being reclassed (downgraded?) to a "value" store.  This means, among other things, that there will be more space devoted to Kroger brand products, and less for national brands.  Additionally, space of natural/organic/health food will be reduced.  This caused quite a stir in the surrounding neighborhoods on the board.    

Here's what I took away from the Nextdoor discussion:

-New sandwich station in the deli

-New Chicken Case in the deli for fried, baked and roasted chickens

-Other new cases in deli that will allow for better product mix

-New 8 ft. Sushi case for in store made sushi

-New deli cheese case

-Additional product offerings throughout the Deli/Bakery area

-New 8 Ft Service Seafood Case

-Other new cases in Meat Dept

-New floors in produce

-New bins and tables in produce

-All new Nature’s Market Nutrition Destination area

-Added new 5 door case of frozen nutrition

-Added additional 8 ft. to refrigerated nutrition

-Expanded dairy in the grocery department…additional 20’ added

-Expanded beer set

-Additional new cases and fixtures throughout the store

-New décor

-The store will have a full service seafood department when the remodel is complete!

Although, the discussion about Value vs Mainstream, etc seemed pretty up in the air - no definitive response from the Kroger rep, but it does seem odd that a "Value" store would have  sushi and full service seafood departments.

I see a lot of negative comments about the Rosa Parks Kroger here and in other forums (especially Nextdoor!) and I don't get it. We've been shopping there for nearly 11 years and have seen lots of positive changes in the store over that time. When we first moved to the neighborhood, the store was run-down, unclean and loaded up with sullen, unhelpful employees.

Something has happened because the service and overall attitude of the staff at the store has improved markedly; I never have any problem getting assistance from most everybody that works there.. 

The place is a mess right now, with all the construction going on, but that's to be expected, I suppose. They can't exactly close down the store to do the remodel. I remember when they were remodeling the Kroger in Donelson 15 or so years ago and it was a mess, too.. 

I had hoped we would get a Harris Teeter in Capitol View and that that would cause Kroger to up their game..  looks like that's not going to happen and if Publix goes in on Demonbreun Hill, who's to say what we'll get. Could be a Whole Foods for all I know -- which means we'll continue shopping at our Kroger for the most part!

David

• Like 1

I recall Publix mentioning they aren't ruling out opening at two separate locations. "...Publix store in Capitol View would not preclude another store in Midtown or elsewhere in urban Nashville — meaning this does not appear to be an either/or scenario for the grocer." The store in Midtown would be smaller, whereas the  Capitol View location would be full service.

I recall Publix mentioning they aren't ruling out opening at two separate locations. "...Publix store in Capitol View would not preclude another store in Midtown or elsewhere in urban Nashville — meaning this does not appear to be an either/or scenario for the grocer." The store in Midtown would be smaller, whereas the  Capitol View location would be full service.

now that you mention it, I seem to recall that too..   It'll be nice to have two options at last if that turns out to be the case... 

now that you mention it, I seem to recall that too..   It'll be nice to have two options at last if that turns out to be the case... 

Sounds encouraging to hear that.  Not counting the stores beyond the "outer limits" from DT, (the river, I-24/440 to the east and the SE, currently the only relatively "accessible" supermarkets of any magnitude would be on the Eighth Ave. "Meridian" ─ the Krogers at Monroe St and at Kirkwood, as if that's any real coverage.

Until the mid-late '70s (with a much smaller residential base, of course), Kroger, and H.G. Hill (especially H.G. Hill) had coverage to serve much of the core o Nashville.  True, they didn't have the features and the diversity of retail items and services found in stores today (not even close), but as far as packaged goods and produce was concerned, they basically had been rather well distributed within the core.  There had been a Hill's at 21st and Wedgewood, one where the Eckerds-turned-Rite-Aid is located (the actual structure remains), West End at 29th (the building housing the Piggly Wiggly), and a smaller Hill's at Charlotte and 20th Ave (renamed to be the new version of "Spruce St.), where the building remains today.

As the ebb-flow of urban retail activity has become substantially reversed during the previous 15 years, I foresee a mounting need to serve the northern mid-town district (which the MPO has referred to as the area bordered by I-440 at Charlotte), and in general, that urgency would all the north "middle grounds" of mid-town from DT to include the entire supermarket desert along both sides of Charlotte to around 40th Ave.  An earlier post in one of the threads had made reference to a mid-town Publix or the like, but focused on the fringe of Music Row.  With all the development and restoration south of Division as well, I still would expect the market demand analysis to warrant an additional store off some mid-Charlotte location, in time.

-==-

Donald Trump is in town for the NRA convention he also said Nashville is ready for a super luxury hotel and considering his own new investments here http://m.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/04/donald-trump-nashville-absolutely-ready-for-super.html

I do not want this guy here! No way! I have heard rumors about him coming here for years. I would do whatever I had to possibly do to keep him from coming here. I don't care if he builds 10 100 story buildings. He is nothing but trouble. Just ask the country of Scotland. Trump is suing the country because he does not want their windmills marring the views from his golf course over there. He is actually suing them to remove all of their wind power windmills because he does not like him.

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 3

Ha, kind of like a liberal Kennedy scion not wanting windmills .... http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2006/mar/2/20060302-124537-9804r/?page=all

If I was Trump I would also fight to protect the value of my property investment from an experimental wind farm...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/11/donald-trump-loses-windfarm-scottish-golf-resort

Of the two example above it is fairly easy to pick out the hypocrite...

I do not want this guy here! No way! I have heard rumors about him coming here for years. I would do whatever I had to possibly do to keep him from coming here. I don't care if he builds 10 100 story buildings. He is nothing but trouble. Just ask the country of Scotland. Trump is suing the country because he does not want their windmills marring the views from his golf course over there. He is actually suing them to remove all of their wind power windmills because he does not like him.

Ha, kind of like a liberal Kennedy scion not wanting windmills .... http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2006/mar/2/20060302-124537-9804r/?page=all

If I was Trump I would also fight to protect the value of my property investment from an experimental wind farm...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/11/donald-trump-loses-windfarm-scottish-golf-resort

Nothing to do with politics, Todd. Don't bring it up.

Trump is just a punchable face.

• Like 1

Okay, first Arkitekte calls me a troll, now my good friend Todd calls me a hypocrite. I guess I am through with this forum for awhile. I'll come back when the hostility is gone...

Funny Todd brings up Senator Kennedy almost 10 years ago. That article was from 2006.

Edited by Paramount747

Okay, first Arkitekte calls me a troll, now my good friend Todd calls me a hypocrite. I guess I am through with this forum for awhile. I'll come back when the hostility is gone...

Funny Todd brings up Senator Kennedy almost 10 years ago. That article was from 2006.

I think he was calling Kennedy a hypocrite, not you...

• Like 2

John,

Sorry if I was unclear. I would never call you a name. We may disagree but I consider you a good friend. I obviously failed in my attempt  to show that we all have failings. I will try to keep it on point more in future posts. 

John,

Sorry if I was unclear. I would never call you a name. We may disagree but I consider you a good friend. I obviously failed in my attempt  to show that we all have failings. I will try to keep it on point more in future posts. 

No worries my friend. I guess I have been over sensitive lately. My father may never walk again after his accident which was not his fault back in January, the company I work with is financially unstable and could be going out of business, I had a horrible flu a few weeks ago, and I have had no luck trying to find another job. It's been a rough 2015.