Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Google all over the map in Nashville office search

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/04/google-all-over-the-map-in-nashville-office-search.html

From the article:

"According to multiple real estate sources, among the options Google has checked out so far include two buildings in SoBro and also the historic Berger Building downtown, at 164 Rosa L. Parks Blvd.

Sources said Google also has eyed options along Midtown's West End Avenue, as well as the affluent retail hub of Green Hills, five miles south of downtown.

Google also evaluated space at 613 Ewing Ave. in SoBro, a building that's home to FLO{thinkery}, the latest venture by noted Nashville music-tech entrepreneur Mark Montgomery. He's in a partnership that bought the building last year."

I can see them going into SOBRO or Midtown.

• Like 1

To-go cup bill for parts of downtown Nashville close to becoming law

http://wkrn.com/2015/04/14/to-go-cup-bill-for-parts-of-downtown-nashville-close-to-becoming-law/

Quote:

"The aim of the proposed law is to allow people to carry alcohol as they walk within the area of the Music City Center, Country Music Hall of Fame, and the Omni Hotel."

Not sure what's gonna keep people from taking alcohol elsewhere outside of these three areas...signs? Police officers? Certain color cups?

People will think that it's like New Orleans or Beale St. and walk anywhere with it. You can easily walk from the MCC to Bridgestone then to Brodway within 2mins. I'm all for it, just don't know how they will be able to enforce it.

• Like 2

To-go cup bill for parts of downtown Nashville close to becoming law

http://wkrn.com/2015/04/14/to-go-cup-bill-for-parts-of-downtown-nashville-close-to-becoming-law/

Quote:

"The aim of the proposed law is to allow people to carry alcohol as they walk within the area of the Music City Center, Country Music Hall of Fame, and the Omni Hotel."

Not sure what's gonna keep people from taking alcohol elsewhere outside of these three areas...signs? Police officers? Certain color cups?

People will think that it's like New Orleans or Beale St. and walk anywhere with it. You can easily walk from the MCC to Bridgestone then to Brodway within 2mins. I'm all for it, just don't know how they will be able to enforce it.

Yet another reason to just pedestrianize the whole place and turn it into a big plaza, a la Times Square.

• Like 4

Whole Foods exec spends her day in Nashville

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/04/whole-foods-exec-spends-her-day-in-nashville.html

Quote:

"An executive from Whole Foods Market spent Wednesday scouting possible sites where the high-end grocer would open its third store in the Nashville region."

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised that the Whole Foods executive visited the Lifeway property across the street from my building. I had not realized that was a possibility...I believe a new store as part of that lager development would prosper. Of course I think the NW ? HCA location off of Charlotte is the leader at this point.

Was at Vanderbilt today, the number of construction zones and projects underway is truly staggering. A couple things stood out to me, though. I noticed construction underway on a plot behind (south) the Metropolitan building on west end, near the sub shop. I can't remember off the top of my head what this is, could it have to do with Skyhouse?

Also, on the south loop of 40 between the Demonbreun exit and the 65 split, tractors were out today turning earth in the median area between the east and west lanes. Are they planning on expanding the lanes here?

Was at Vanderbilt today, the number of construction zones and projects underway is truly staggering. A couple things stood out to me, though. I noticed construction underway on a plot behind (south) the Metropolitan building on west end, near the sub shop. I can't remember off the top of my head what this is, could it have to do with Skyhouse?

Also, on the south loop of 40 between the Demonbreun exit and the 65 split, tractors were out today turning earth in the median area between the east and west lanes. Are they planning on expanding the lanes here?

Hard to say for sure, but are you talking about 16th and McGavock, which is the site of the Cadence development being done by Phoenix Property?  

The SkyHouse would be on the lot where SubStop current sits.  

I noticed that as well.  I couldn't find anything on the TDOT website.  I know there's going to be a huge bridge project starting in June, maybe that work is to open up a workspace.   They're going to close I-40/65 between Demunbreun street and Charlotte every weekend for a year starting in June.  All interstate traffic will be re-routed around the loop.  Demunbreun street will still be accessible from I-40 west.  That is going to be a nightmare, especially during big events.   

• Like 1

Yuk!  I think that FBC is not going to sell any of their property (certainly not anytime soon). I am glad to know they plan to stay, but their multiple plans and countless revisions suggest that they are confused, or simply not motivated at best, as to what they really want to do with their property.  Of course, if anything like my church, these decisions are being made by committee(s), and our committees change every three years.  With so many hotels announced and underway around them, I don't expect any land they might sell would go to a hotel (which would bring top dollar). At least until the next window for that to happen, they can make lots of money just selling parking space to tourists.  

Yuk!  I think that FBC is not going to sell any of their property (certainly not anytime soon). I am glad to know they plan to stay, but their multiple plans and countless revisions suggest that they are confused, or simply not motivated at best, as to what they really want to do with their property.  Of course, if anything like my church, these decisions are being made by committee(s), and our committees change every three years.  With so many hotels announced and underway around them, I don't expect any land they might sell would go to a hotel (which would bring top dollar). At least until the next window for that to happen, they can make lots of money just selling parking space to tourists.  

"confused" is probably the best way one could describe this latest rendering...that thing is all over the place!

The median on I 40 will be used to assemble the bridge pieces for the new bridges that were announced this week. This is a prefab system sort of like Legos that will be used and greatly speed the process. There will be only 17 closing shift of the interstate over the next year. They will be able to erect a new bridge in a weekend.

• Like 2

About the 1 million new residents over the next 20 years, from the Ledger. Not much hugely revealing, but it mentions that Davidson still pulls the most single family residential permits (surprising to me)... and could see 4400 new homes this year.  Overall, it's a story about the surrounding counties. 

http://tnledger.com/editorial/Article.aspx?id=80621

I think i had a great plan a couple months ago.

16329090200_57cbab7879_o.jpgbroad2nd by willfry, on Flickr

Thanks very much for posting this - I love the whole idea.  

In particular I really like the plan to turn a portion of the surface parking lots between 3rd and 4th Avenue South into public space as a pedestrian plaza (the "upside down T" in the image above).  I believe this is the most easily achievable goal in the short term, and one that would provide a great benefit to the area.  Anyone know of how something like this could be officially proposed to the appropriate people in government?

The only problem with a plan like that is it does cut off access to the businesses in the area, and not just servicing the restaurants and honky tonks. There is major daytime motorized daytime traffic for the offices and residential areas, especially during the daytime.  

As an alternative, I'd favor a plan to cordon/post off the sections with upgraded traffic signalling at certain days/times, such that big events and perhaps even weekend evenings with no big events, certain streets could be blocked to motorists, who would be rerouted in (for example) all north south streets.  Not sure I made that very clear, but I don't like a permanent "fix" to block off so much of Broadway.  

I think we all would agree that a far more sensible and easily followed plan for traffic flow would be needed there. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

The only problem with a plan like that is it does cut off access to the businesses in the area, and not just servicing the restaurants and honky tonks. There is major daytime motorized daytime traffic for the offices and residential areas, especially during the daytime.  

As an alternative, I'd favor a plan to cordon/post off the sections with upgraded traffic signalling at certain days/times, such that big events and perhaps even weekend evenings with no big events, certain streets could be blocked to motorists, who would be rerouted in (for example) all north south streets.  Not sure I made that very clear, but I don't like a permanent "fix" to block off so much of Broadway.  

I think we all would agree that a far more sensible and easily followed plan for traffic flow would be needed there. 

Yes, daytime traffic is mostly in the daytime.  As far as cutting off streets on some complicated schedule, how does this differ from what they do now?  Downtown is so plagued with road closures it's almost impossible to get around sometimes, and it is impossible to find the circulator buses when their routes are closed.  We need it to be more user friendly, not less.

• Like 1

Yes, daytime traffic is mostly in the daytime.  As far as cutting off streets on some complicated schedule, how does this differ from what they do now?  Downtown is so plagued with road closures it's almost impossible to get around sometimes, and it is impossible to find the circulator buses when their routes are closed.  We need it to be more user friendly, not less.

you think? (no kiddin!  too funny...maybe they're watchin' and will take note)

(there's one down there now ─ I better get to it before it floats off...)

post-29451-0-02102900-1429315822.jpg

:silly:

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Smartass... so sometimes I repeat myself. :)   Looks like I'll need to be more careful now.  

How are those pedestrian areas working out for Memphis? Fresno? Denver's 69th Street?

Over a 90% failure in the U.S.

Yup... Dead. Trying like crazy to get cars back on the streets. Pedestrian isn't the answer. Complete streets are the answer.

Edited by Guest