Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Give it a shot anyway... Worst thing that can happen is that you don't get one. Surely someone has sent mail to Brentwood before and put the city as "Nashville". I have a feeling the post office realizes this and will adjust accordingly using the zip code, etc.

Plus, there are residents of Nashville with Brentwood mailing addresses.

• Like 1

lol look at this 5star review of the lake:

"David Creed

in the last week
Probably my favorite place to sunbathe. Great views of surrounding topography. You can also fish for three eyed catfish while eating hot chicken. Also, it's incredible for water skiing as the wind never disrupts the surface of the lake as its 100' below grade."
  • Like 3

Remember the numbers are skewed because most of Davidson County is Nashville. Most of the other cities if not all on the top 25 do not have A Metro government. If you add the county populations to most of those cities, we would be lucky to be in the top 50.

Yeah, the only biggies on there, besides Nashville, are Jacksonville and Indianapolis because both take up over 80% of their home counties of Duval and Marion, respectively. 

Nashville will never be the next Austin because Austin has a lot more flat land within the municipal boundaries to sprawl. Austin's growth could very well be its downfall too, nothing can keep up and both the legislature and TXDOT don't help matters.

Remember the numbers are skewed because most of Davidson County is Nashville. Most of the other cities if not all on the top 25 do not have A Metro government. If you add the county populations to most of those cities, we would be lucky to be in the top 50.

Meh, they're not skewed by that much I don't think.  Outside of what would otherwise be considered the city of Nashville if there were no city-county government, it's basically just wilderness or water or airport or one of the few small towns like Belle Meade.  In other words, it's not like there are any other significant population centers in the county that would be removed from the population figure if we didn't have this form of government.  Plus, I think it provides a much more honest idea of how much the area is really growing since Nashville, unlike it's peer cities like Austin and Charlotte, can't annex new land. 

You have to bear in mind that the pre-'1963 Metro Nashville corporation limits actually did not include areas which now contain large concentrations of population.  If the those boundaries (of my late childhood) had remained today, then Nashville indeed would be considerably smaller, not only in area, but also in population, in consideration of what would have remained unincorporated or incorporated suburbanized areas, separate from Nashville proper.  While these non-core districts may not have the density of the old-town central grid areas of newer and what remains of old-stock housing, nevertheless some parts of these extended sprawl districts contain much growth spawned by early- and mid-1960s urban "flight" growth.  Some readers might already be familiar with the following reference map.  Readers familiar with Nashville today can see by the illustration which former non-Nashville urban areas of the past collectively comprise a large sector of the present population, located outside the original borders of the city, somewhat small by comparison

Nashville1960_zpsdcsvobho.png

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

I think you also have to look at square milage, too.  Even though we count all of Davidson County, I bet it's still smaller in square miles compared to some of the other cities.  And...as someone said earlier, we really can't annex any land.  However...if we hadn't gone to a Metro government...don't you guys believe Nashville would have ended up annexing some of the small municipalities in the end, anyway?

I think you also have to look at square milage, too.  Even though we count all of Davidson County, I bet it's still smaller in square miles compared to some of the other cities.  And...as someone said earlier, we really can't annex any land.  However...if we hadn't gone to a Metro government...don't you guys believe Nashville would have ended up annexing some of the small municipalities in the end, anyway?

That got me to wondering, so I checked that always  :whistling: accurate Wikipedia internet place.  As of 2013 Nashville was the 5th largest city in the U.S. by area not counting some outliers in Alaska and Montana that are special cases.  I had no idea Nashville covered that much territory.  The top 10 are:  

1.   Jacksonville

2.   Oklahoma City

3.   Houston

4.   Phoenix

5.   Nashville 

6.   Los Angeles

7.   San Antonio

8.   Suffolk, VA (WTF?)

9.   Buckey, AZ (Another WTF?)

10. Indianapolis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_area

Edited by The ATX
  • Like 1

That got me to wondering, so I checked that always  :whistling: accurate Wikipedia internet place.  As of 2013 Nashville was the 5th largest city in the U.S. by area not counting some outliers in Alaska and Montana that are special cases.  I had no idea Nashville covered that much territory.  The top 10 are:  

1.   Jacksonville

2.   Oklahoma City

3.   Houston

4.   Phoenix

5.   Nashville 

6.   Los Angeles

7.   San Antonio

8.   Suffolk, VA (WTF?)

10. Indianapolis

Then...scrap my notion...  :)

As of last year, Nashville's metro population had grown to #36 in the nation at 1,793,000, up 7.3% since 2010.  Austin is ranked #35 at 1,943,000, up 13.2% since 2010 (the largest growth rate in the country).  Nashville's growth rate is #14 out of the Top 100 markets in the U.S.

Additionally, our growth rate is not that much out of character with many other markets. Out of the Top 100, 20% of them have grown by at least 7% in the last four years.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

1.   Jacksonville

2.   Oklahoma City

3.   Houston

4.   Phoenix

5.   Nashville 

6.   Los Angeles

7.   San Antonio

8.   Suffolk, VA (WTF?)

10. Indianapolis

ATX, the State of Virginia for decades had what used to be (and still in some cases) "podunks", which had become independent cities from the counties in which they formerly had been included,   This happened mostly during mid-20th C and included the cities of Roanoke (Roanoke Co.), Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Chesapeake (Norfolk Co.), Va. Beach (Princess Anne Co.), Suffolk (Nansemond Co.), and Richmond (Henrico Co.).  Some of these counties remain, yet some others such as Princess Anne Co, Norfolk Co, and Nansemond Co, for example, were merged with their associated independent cities to become entirely "cities".  Of particular interest, the current city of Suffolk became what once had been 2 independent cities (cities of Suffolk and the County of Nansemond, turned city of Nansemond).

This is the reason that podunks like Suffolk appear "disproportionately" large in area, which, along with a number of its sister South Hampton Roads cities, eventually merged with counties.  Conversely for the same reason, Suffolk (pronounced "Suh-f'k") also is a rather sparsely populated city, as what might be expected.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

Great discussion guys. This is the way to do things and I would love this on al the threads.

Thanks for expanding on the subject and making it clear for everyone.

I am surprised Louisville is not in the larger land area cities as that is a Metro Government now, I think?

• Like 2