Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Downtown Sheraton has been sold. Hopefully the new owners do something with this property, it needs a revamp, badly.

http://www.tennessea...ext{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE{sodEmoji.|}s

The worst thing about it is those blank fortress-like walls on the street. Is it even possible to correct this? If you cut doors and windows in them and installed a restaurant or two, would the building fall down? It goes beyond failing to activate the street, it projects a kind of hostility at the street level.

"The garage has been designed to support an additional 25 floors of parking or office space."

Interesting. Good to see they are thinking ahead. Although I can't imagine how a 25 floor parking garage would work! :)

"The garage has been designed to support an additional 25 floors of parking or office space."

Interesting. Good to see they are thinking ahead. Although I can't imagine how a 25 floor parking garage would work! :)

I had taliked to WW about a month ago when I found out this was going to be all underground. At this point, we are not real optomistic anything will happen here for a while. I would expect that once the parking garage is finished then they will sale NCC. It was going to be sold, but with the parking garage addition that delayed things for a while. I did see this on the permits this morning before NBJ picked it up and sent it to WW, but NBJ ran it first.

I am glad to see they are building the underground spots to be able to support more floors on top. I had suspected but was unsure if that was the plan.

With large parking garages being built downtown(in the convention center, in buildings, etc)...does anyone see surface parking lots going away in the coming decade?

I'd say they'd be on their way out anyways with potential development. Although, Nashville loves the car and still has to change their mindset. I hope there wouldn't be any for the sake of parking. Only maybe in the case of a developer waiting like in the case of Tony and others.

Here is an article from WW at the Post concerning the Westmont apartments off of West End.

We have been trying to get more information on this project adn not much is out there. The property sold last week and I knew there was going to be a project in the wokrs here,

From what I gather it will be 5 floors. That was on the planning commision site.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2012/8/30/forestar_site_reveals_clues_as_to_redevelopment_of_westmont_apartments_

With large parking garages being built downtown(in the convention center, in buildings, etc)...does anyone see surface parking lots going away in the coming decade?

I would certainly hope so. I don't know about all of the current surface lots being fully developed, but I would hope that there are no NEW lots built. Especially where that requires demolition of an existing building.

I think most of the larger lots will be developed, but the long holdouts will be the small infill lots with high land value.

Does anyone know what city codes/ordinances say about new surface lots in the CBD?

Of these mini-lots, the one I would like to see dissapear the most is the one directly in front of the symphony center (behind the commercial building on broadway, between 3rd and 4th). The entrance to this lot is an alley between two buildings and follows a line, from Broadway, to the dead center of the Schermerhorn grand entrance. If the city would purchase this alley and make a walkway from Broadway to the Symphony Center, I could die a little happier.

Of these mini-lots, the one I would like to see dissapear the most is the one directly in front of the symphony center (behind the commercial building on broadway, between 3rd and 4th). The entrance to this lot is an alley between two buildings and follows a line, from Broadway, to the dead center of the Schermerhorn grand entrance. If the city would purchase this alley and make a walkway from Broadway to the Symphony Center, I could die a little happier.

I think that everytime I go by there. I think it would be a great place for a small, formal vista of that beautiful building, and maybe a little plaza where food vendors could sell slush puppies or crepes or whatever from carts or stands.

I wonder what other places we could have safe well lit pedestrian paths cutting through. We definitely need something from the Gulch over the RR tracks.

• Like 1

I think that everytime I go by there. I think it would be a great place for a small, formal vista of that beautiful building, and maybe a little plaza where food vendors could sell slush puppies or crepes or whatever from carts or stands.

I wonder what other places we could have safe well lit pedestrian paths cutting through. We definitely need something from the Gulch over the RR tracks.

When is the city going to do this? Seems like a safe walking bridge over the RR tracks to connect these developing areas is a no brainer...

When is the city going to do this? Seems like a safe walking bridge over the RR tracks to connect these developing areas is a no brainer...

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I would point out that there already is one. The Demonbreun St. Bridge does have a staircase down to the gulch. Now the bridge itself is not very glamorous to walk across and not very "inviting" in the pedestrian friendly type of way, but it's there. Where would our "dream bridge" go? Pine St. To Cannery Row? I think we can all agree that many people find that short block around the mission to be "scetchy". I'm not trying to shoot down a good idea, but I just can't think of a pedestrian bridge alignment that wouldn't be unpleasant in some fashion. It would certainly be a climb (in order to get over the R.R. Tracks) and it would certainly terminate in a under-utilized area, whichever block that may be.

The Demonbreun St. Bridge puts you out walking past the Frist, which is much more pleasant than anything around Cannery/Palmer/Lea.

Edited by nashvillwill

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I would point out that there already is one. The Demonbreun St. Bridge does have a staircase down to the gulch. Now the bridge itself is not very glamorous to walk across and not very "inviting" in the pedestrian friendly type of way, but it's there. Where would our "dream bridge" go? Pine St. To Cannery Row? I think we can all agree that many people find that short block around the mission to be "scetchy". I'm not trying to shoot down a good idea, but I just can't think of a pedestrian bridge alignment that wouldn't be unpleasant in some fashion. It would certainly be a climb (in order to get over the R.R. Tracks) and it would certainly terminate in a under-utilized area, whichever block that may be.

The Demonbreun St. Bridge puts you out walking past the Frist, which is much more pleasant than anything around Cannery/Palmer/Lea.

Not to correct often here, but there are no stairs from the Demonbreun Bridge to the Gulch. I sure wish there were. You may have confussed the stairs from the gulch on the Church street bridge. I have walked it many times and if there are stairs, they may be invisible or just one giant step down which would be rather painful/LOL. :shok:

Not to correct often here, but there are no stairs from the Demonbreun Bridge to the Gulch. I sure wish there were. You may have confussed the stairs from the gulch on the Church street bridge. I have walked it many times and if there are stairs, they may be invisible or just one giant step down which would be rather painful/LOL. :shok:

Stairs that end in *thud*. Honestly, while yes, it would be nice to have a shortcut bridge from the Gulch to SoBro - I think the idea of having a staircase up to Demonbreun and maybe a nice path along the tracks/where Gleaves St currently is would be enough connection. I wouldn't mind, if I lived down there, walking an extra 150 yards for either. Now. if there were a corridor that connected with the Pedestrian bridge so that Music Row/East Nashville were connected by a bike/pedestrian path...

Stairs that end in *thud*. Honestly, while yes, it would be nice to have a shortcut bridge from the Gulch to SoBro - I think the idea of having a staircase up to Demonbreun and maybe a nice path along the tracks/where Gleaves St currently is would be enough connection. I wouldn't mind, if I lived down there, walking an extra 150 yards for either. Now. if there were a corridor that connected with the Pedestrian bridge so that Music Row/East Nashville were connected by a bike/pedestrian path...

Thanks for correcting me guys. You're right, I had mistaken which bridge has the stairs. Just goes to show that it's been far too long since I have been to town!

As far as your idea about a pedestrian corridor from the Row to East Nashville, I love that idea! I think this could be done on the cheap. Some simple street scape could really improve that corridor and there is plenty of room for it. Just get rid of the center turn lane and you have room to implement a buffer zone. Seriously, why does a bridge need a turn lane? I wish Nashville would get over the obsession with the center turn lane.

Edited by nashvillwill

Thanks for correcting me guys. You're right, I had mistaken which bridge has the stairs. Just goes to show that it's been far too long since I have been to town!

As far as your idea about a pedestrian corridor from the Row to East Nashville, I love that idea! I think this could be done on the cheap. Some simple street scape could really improve that corridor and there is plenty of room for it. Just get rid of the center turn lane and you have room to implement a buffer zone. Seriously, why does a bridge need a turn lane? I wish Nashville would get over the obsession with the center turn lane.

IMO, not putting stairs down from the Demonbreun Bridge was a huge MISS on the part of TDOT. I don't know why these government agencies are so backward thinking, but that area of the Gulch had already been under development in a big way when the new viaduct was built. And for what additional cost to put a stairway (or possibly two for pedestrian crossing the railroad tracks)? I can't imagine it would have cost a significant percent of the total price of the bridge.

IMO, not putting stairs down from the Demonbreun Bridge was a huge MISS on the part of TDOT. I don't know why these government agencies are so backward thinking, but that area of the Gulch had already been under development in a big way when the new viaduct was built. And for what additional cost to put a stairway (or possibly two for pedestrian crossing the railroad tracks)? I can't imagine it would have cost a significant percent of the total price of the bridge.

Agree with Brumby.

I walk the DemonBridge often and it's a shame there is no stairwell to connect 11th to the bridge.

WW

Agree with Brumby.

I walk the DemonBridge often and it's a shame there is no stairwell to connect 11th to the bridge.

WW

In all fairness, I think that the stairs could be nice but many people would have balked at any added cost for stairs there. Realistically, most development that was even proposed when the viaduct was reconstructed was on 12th, not 11th. Also, many people (at least many Nashvillians - if they do walk) would rather walk the additional short block to 12th and walk down a gentle slope (and back up again) than to ascend/descend steep stairs to what is still a very empty stretch of 11th. The difference with the stairs to Church street is that there is no street intersection in that area at all, making for a long bridge with quite a gap for those needing to access that area on foot for whatever reason.

I am in favor of letting anyone who develops right next to 11th/Demonbreun incorporate stairs/elevators between street grades into their developments using private dollars if they feel that there is sufficient demand for it.

Midtown Indigo transformation into an aloft Hotel is officially complete. Saw the sign this weekend. Was certain back when the MCC was first announced that we'd see an aloft in SoBro, but alas...

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2012/09/midtowns-hotel-indigo-reopens-as-aloft.html