Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Wow, that is a lot

In addition to East Nashville's Nuvo Burrito opening a location on Charlotte Pike, they're also opening a location in SoBro at 4th & Peabody.

Wow, that's a lot of expansion. Good for them! I knew that they were looking in Sobro at the former Italian deli place on 5th Ave South (I think it is) but that had fallen through. I assumed that they went with the Charlotte site instead (that's a lot of rent deposit). Are they going in the building where Quizzno's Subs is located?

Wow, that is a lot

Wow, that's a lot of expansion. Good for them! I knew that they were looking in Sobro at the former Italian deli place on 5th Ave South (I think it is) but that had fallen through. I assumed that they went with the Charlotte site instead (that's a lot of rent deposit). Are they going in the building where Quizzno's Subs is located?

Yes it is. Just slightly over a block from the MCC and diagonal to the Hilton Garden Inn site.

Renasant Bank aquires West End property.

http://nashvillepost...ns_nashville_hq

Hmm, this could be interesting. Now, if only someone would buy that closed Mrs. Winners and turn it into something decent, and that goes for the BP station as well.

Edited by NashRugger

The East-Centric Pavilian at the Shoppes on Fatherland was open this weekend for the East-Centric Music Festival. Most of the new businesses are not yet open.

I was surprised at how sparsely attended the event was (relatively speaking) since it was advertised pretty heavily by Lightning 100 and in the Scene and what not.

The pavilion building itself is pretty decent, if utilitarian, but my understanding is that work is still going on to finish some details. The pavilion structure does abut the backs of the buildings facing Fatherland Street pretty closely (including the back patio of Far East Nashville Vietnamese restaurant, which makes me wonder if there will be shrubbery or other landscape buffering installed later (arbor vitae, anyone?). I am also wondering if the building will be enclosed in the wintertime for events or if it will always be open air with a roof overhead.

There is an area in front of the pavilion facing 11th Street it that I think is going to be a landscape feature or pond or something - it's hard to tell. We'll need to give this one a little bit more time to finish out, but it does make use of what was a pretty huge field at the south end of 5 Points. Most likely, this will be THE place during next year's Tomato festival, since that lot behind Bongo Java is pretty small and the stage area behind Green Wagon is even smaller.

very cool article and an even better slideshow in the Real Estate section of the NYTimes of a Germantown condo- I believe in Werthan Mills (Correct me if I'm wrong)...

http://www.nytimes.c...moc.semityn.www

Wow! Is Nashville becoming the new go-to city for up and coming affluents? The city is doing something right to be getting such focus from the NYT and other similar publications.

I'd be leaving NY too if my real estate taxes were that high. The house in Kingston, NY, that was also featured has annual taxes of $11,482! That's 4X the rate that Nashvillians are paying, and even less for people that live in the burbs. That's shocking how incredibly high those taxes are. Of course, NY also has a high state income tax, so it's a double whammy.

I'd be leaving NY too if my real estate taxes were that high. The house in Kingston, NY, that was also featured has annual taxes of $11,482! That's 4X the rate that Nashvillians are paying, and even less for people that live in the burbs. That's shocking how incredibly high those taxes are. Of course, NY also has a high state income tax, so it's a double whammy.

When I finished grad school and stuck around here for a job, I was expecting the income tax to be terrible in Pennsylvania. However, the sales tax is much lower, and food and clothing aren't taxed, so it's not as onerous. It was when I got a job in the city limits of Philadelphia and they tacked on their wage tax that I started to despise it.

^^^ That makes me wonder a couple of things.

-what species of plant did they plant?

-is it native to our region?

-is it just a domestic grass, or a more hearty creeping plant

-is it sod? (If so, no wonder its dying)

Surely, SOMEONE put some thought into that, or did they just pick up the cheapest thing at Home Depot. This could be a PR disaster if that roof dies and they don't try to maintain it. If that happens, I doubt we will see many future green roofs in the city. I really hope that's not the case.

As far as I've been told it's just a general mixture of Sedum plants, which are succulents. They can die when there is too much water, i.e. root rot, or from too much heat and no water for very prolonged periods, i.e. mid-May thru early July, and the results of the stress have probably caught up.

It should be a no-brainer that this is likely under warranty and will be repaired/replaced as needed.

Also, I'm wondering what kind of materials they used on that roof. The browning is happening from the outside nearest the edges of the "grid" system they have. If the material that makes up that "grid" is metal, I can imagine it getting extremely hot on that fully exposed roof. It would take a pretty hearty plant to survive a climate like that.

Edited by nashvillwill

US Bank is moving their local headquarters from One Nashville Place (R2D2) to 333 Commerce Street (AT&T Building/Batman) and will do so next March.

That said, I think it would be safe to assume that US Bank's signage at ONP will be coming down sometime next year.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/09/25/us-bank-att-headquarters-downtown.html

US Bank is moving their local headquarters from One Nashville Place (R2D2) to 333 Commerce Street (AT&T Building/Batman) and will do so next March.

That said, I think it would be safe to assume that US Bank's signage at ONP will be coming down sometime next year.

http://www.bizjourna...s-downtown.html

Great to see they're staying downtown. Anyone know how this will impact the vacancy rate in Batman?