Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

It seems to me that there is a happy median between approving every street closure request, and approving none. Unfortunately, Metro appears okay with approving every one without providing adequate alternatives, or requiring developers to provide for some abatements such as protective scaffolding that would keep a sidewalk open or funding better traffic controls around their closure. I'm pretty sure any time an event wants to close off a street, the even has to pay for the police redirecting traffic (right?). If construction sites aren't doing it now, then they should be forced to. Perhaps it would inspire them to keep closures to a minimum.

• Like 2

It seems to me that there is a happy median between approving every street closure request, and approving none. Unfortunately, Metro appears okay with approving every one without providing adequate alternatives, or requiring developers to provide for some abatements such as protective scaffolding that would keep a sidewalk open or funding better traffic controls around their closure. I'm pretty sure any time an event wants to close off a street, the even has to pay for the police redirecting traffic (right?). If construction sites aren't doing it now, then they should be forced to. Perhaps it would inspire them to keep closures to a minimum.

That's the best way I've ever heard (read) it stated.  If I had even an ounce of sense, I'd at least try contacting a couple of the local TV stations (e.g. "I-Team"), and suggest airing a segment on that topic of shared concern. -==-

That's the best way I've ever heard (read) it stated.  If I had even an ounce of sense, I'd at least try contacting a couple of the local TV stations (e.g. "I-Team"), and suggest airing a segment on that topic of shared concern. -==-

I'd suggest a call or email to Mark Sturtevant in his new role as Metro director of infrastructure.   I plan to did.      [email protected]

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 1

BYUTV has a show called American Ride where a fellow named Stan Ellsworth rides his Harley around the country exploring cities and sites.  Earlier this year he did an episode in Nashville.  It's pretty good.  I learned some stuff about the history of the Fisk Jubilee Singers and also of the Ryman Auditorium which I didn't know about although I'm sure most of you Nashville natives probably knew.

http://www.byutv.org/watch/8574034d-52ec-4b5d-89c1-2030863f276e/american-ride-music-city

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2

BYUTV has a show called American Ride where a fellow named Stan Ellsworth rides his Harley around the country exploring cities and sites.  Earlier this year he did an episode in Nashville.  It's pretty good.  I learned some stuff about the history of the Fisk Jubilee Singers and also of the Ryman Auditorium which I didn't know about although I'm sure most of you Nashville natives probably knew.

http://www.byutv.org/watch/8574034d-52ec-4b5d-89c1-2030863f276e/american-ride-music-city

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!  I like this guy's presentation style a lot. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

Episode six of Aziz Ansari's new show is titled 'Nashville' and takes place in Nashville while they visit here on a road trip.

Just watched this episode last night...limited to SoBro and the Hermitage Hotel, but it still screamed "come visit Nashville!" advertisement spot. Not that that's a bad thing, it shows how people from around the country, and the world, are starting to look at the city in a whole different light. 

I'm not really sure what to make of this, and can't find a thing about it online, so take this with a grain of salt, but an SSP forum member named Wayward Memphian posted this photo on the Memphis development thread over there that he supposedly took at the convention for IAAPA (interational association of amusement parks and attractions).  It's for something called a "Polercoaster," which is essentially a 500+ foot tall observation tower that has a roller coaster wrapped around it on the outside. You'll notice the city it lists under "locations."  Underneath that you'll find a rendering of the first polercoaster that is currently under construction in Orlando.  Anybody know anything about this??!

cubkk6ww4aa0k9e.jpg

10451708_1481945915373516_18967203143420

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

OK, 

Here is what I can gather from the picture.  It had to be taken yesterday or today as this convention is going on now. So this could be a breaking news story.

Oh man oh man oh man oh man....I'm getting season passes to the freakin POLLERCOASTER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1