Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

33 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Here is more info from the Post.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2015/12/1/uli_report_nashville_sees_real_estate_opporunities_as_18_hour_city

My guess with these numbers one or both things may happen.

Apartments switching to Condos and apartment prices drop in the core and attract more people to the core and pushing more construction in two to three years.

I think apartments switching to condos after much of the equity holders position has been wiped out is a probable outcome. You are right Smeagols, I have been calling for this for a couple years, but with the tidal wave of apartments coming online throughout the city, many developers are about to get hurt badly imo.

I don't see there being empty urban core apartments.  The new construction apartments will lower prices and induce additional demand. The apartments that will be harder hit, IMO, will be those units that are on the buffer zone between established neighborhoods and re-developing neighborhoods.  Charlotte Pk, South Nashville, and areas around Fisk may be the areas that see a greater percentage drop.  The apartments in the Gulch, Midtown, Music Row, Germantown, RMH, etc., have plenty of people wanting to live there if they can afford it. Even a price drop of a couple hundred bucks would open those areas up to scores of potential tenants.  

I think Element is a perfect target for a condo conversion....protected views, nice height, great walkability, high end finishes, etc. Sobro and 505 Church St are other obvious targets. 

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

I don't see there being empty urban core apartments.  The new construction apartments will lower prices and induce additional demand. The apartments that will be harder hit, IMO, will be those units that are on the buffer zone between established neighborhoods and re-developing neighborhoods.  Charlotte Pk, South Nashville, and areas around Fisk may be the areas that see a greater percentage drop.  The apartments in the Gulch, Midtown, Music Row, Germantown, RMH, etc., have plenty of people wanting to live there if they can afford it. Even a price drop of a couple hundred bucks would open those areas up to scores of potential tenants.  

I think Element is a perfect target for a condo conversion....protected views, nice height, great walkability, high end finishes, etc. Sobro and 505 Church St are other obvious targets. 

The issue is that cap rates are already so low that dropping rent a couple hundred bucks makes these unprofitable investments.

43 minutes ago, samsonh said:

The issue is that cap rates are already so low that dropping rent a couple hundred bucks makes these unprofitable investments.

I'm not sure if they would become unprofitable for the original developers as they have been making out like gangbusters, but the buyers of these apartments might get hosed.  Stonehenge, Southern Land, etc have been making tremendous amount of money when they sell (Note 16, 11North, Elliston 23, etc). If a rent drop develops so that the developers of Skyhouse, Element, or Sobro have to hold onto the apartments I don't think they'll be facing bankruptcy.  They may not be able to have the dramatic liquidity events that have been occurring with a decline in rents of 10-15%, but I think it would take something more to see defaults.  This will, clearly, decrease future construction once a correction happens.  

The bigger question to me is when are they going to start with the talks of the tax payer paying for a new stadium for them?  We see this play out in so many cities with professional sports teams where the teams fleece the taxpayer or threaten to move.  I would be all for a new stadium as the Titans in my opinion have the worst in the NFL now that the Jags have somewhat upgraded theirs, but not at a cost that is not cost effective for tax payers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wreynol4 said:

The bigger question to me is when are they going to start with the talks of the tax payer paying for a new stadium for them?  We see this play out in so many cities with professional sports teams where the teams fleece the taxpayer or threaten to move.  I would be all for a new stadium as the Titans in my opinion have the worst in the NFL now that the Jags have somewhat upgraded theirs, but not at a cost that is not cost effective for tax payers.

Why do you think it is the worst in the NFL? I really would like to know your reasoning behind that. Pretty sure Oakland would win that title as it seats about 15K less and is still on a baseball field. I don't even think Titans would be in the bottom 5.Sure Nissan lacks some character, but it is not the worst. (Now the team, yeah they might be the worst in the NFL haha)

The new screens at Nissan, surround sound, etc were def good additions. 

Edited by bigeasy

24 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

Why do you think it is the worst in the NFL? I really would like to know your reasoning behind that. Pretty sure Oakland would win that title as it seats about 15K less and is still on a baseball field. I don't even think Titans would be in the bottom 5.Sure Nissan lacks some character, but it is not the worst. (Now the team, yeah they might be the worst in the NFL haha)

The new screens at Nissan, surround sound, etc were def good additions. 

Good morning!  I haven't been to the Raiders so I don't know there, you maybe correct in that theirs is worse.  From what I have seen, going to about 10 NFL stadiums and from what friends tell me that visit Nashville and love it here, they seem to think ours is the worst in terms of age, design and amenities.  I am from Charlotte NC and am a Panthers fan myself, but having lived here for 4 years now have been to a fair amount of Titans games and the stadium just seems to be lacking.  Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wreynol4 said:

Good morning!  I haven't been to the Raiders so I don't know there, you maybe correct in that theirs is worse.  From what I have seen, going to about 10 NFL stadiums and from what friends tell me that visit Nashville and love it here, they seem to think ours is the worst in terms of age, design and amenities.  I am from Charlotte NC and am a Panthers fan myself, but having lived here for 4 years now have been to a fair amount of Titans games and the stadium just seems to be lacking.  Just my 2 cents. 

Titans stadium is definitely bottom 5 in the league

Jacksonville, Buffalo, Tampa, Miami, Oakland, Carolina, St. Louis, Kansas City all have stadiums of equal or less value to us.

I want us to renovate our current stadium and add a retractable roof. Our location is top 5 in the league. We don't need to spend $1BN on a new stadium, just renovate what we already have. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Jacksonville, Buffalo, Tampa, Miami, Oakland, Carolina, St. Louis, Kansas City all have stadiums of equal or less value to us.

I want us to renovate our current stadium and add a retractable roof. Our location is top 5 in the league. We don't need to spend $1BN on a new stadium, just renovate what we already have. 

Renovating and adding a retractable roof might be a 750 million dollar job. At that cost might as well start new.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Cleveland is looking into adding a roof. Their estimates are $250MM. Of course it will be more than that, but $750MM? I doubt it. 

I do not believe Cleveland is looking into this anymore. Cost may be the reason. 750 may be high, but would be shocked if the final bill came in under 500 million on a stadium like the Titans.