Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

From the "It's About Time" Department: Pedal Taverns could face some restrictive hours of use.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2015/12/15/nashvilles-pedal-taverns-could-face-restricted-hours/77356600/

How restrict to never? This was the most redneck idea since the Nash Trash, and Hee Haw bus tours that completely embarrass the city. Real cities don't have pedal taverns. Let's have some sophistication in our downtown please? How about some class?

Don't know if this has been posted before---but it's pretty cool.  Has gone viral.  Shows a guy throwing a frisbee off of the Shelby Street/Seigenthaler Bridge and his friend on one of those hyrdro jet packs hovering above the river down below catching it.  This wouldn't work in most other cities…our lack of wind in most months made for a very smooth long-distance toss.  Nice to see the riverfront looking so nice in the image...

https://www.facebook.com/WhistleSports/videos/985085798204378/?pnref=story

• Like 3

22 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I understand where you're coming from my friend, and in some cases, I do agree.  I would like to see a little more diversity in the Broadway/2nd Ave. experience, for example.  Replace a country souvenir or boot shop here or there with a jazz club or latin dance club, perhaps.  When it comes to the bus tours and the pedal taverns though, I really fail to see how they embarrass the city or how they have anything to do with 'class.'  The bus tours are just a fun, laid back thing that is meant to poke fun at the city's obvious stereotypes.  And as for the pedal taverns, I've seen them in Chicago, Miami, Minneapolis, New Orleans, and Milwaukee, so I'm sure they're in many other cities as well.  I don't think it's necessary to worry so much about perceptions.  The city is in a good place...let's kick up our feet and enjoy it!

Point taken, I just don't want people from other cities like DC, NYC, L.A, etc thinking that is who we are and only think Nashville is 5 blocks of Lower Broadway, but point taken.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2015 at 5:33 PM, BnaBreaker said:

I would like to see a little more diversity in the Broadway/2nd Ave. experience, for example.  Replace a country souvenir or boot shop here or there with a jazz club or latin dance club, perhaps.  

Yes, this many times over. I know Nashville is known for a certain style of music and it is (somewhat) native to the region. But there are a ton of natives to middle Tennessee - like myself - that never liked the country genre and its whiney, moaning, twangy sound. Listening to a lot of country is like listening to nails on slate. Hell, I like the music scene in Memphis more than Nashville. The rock and blues and soul is so much more appealing to me than the twang. I'll listen to the tunes coming out of the bars on Beale well before I will pay attention to Lower Broadway in Nashville.

It is interesting you bring this up, because I just wrote about this topic on in the Coffeehouse section on Nashville in the past decade. I wrote enough there, so I will spare writing more here. LOL

Edited by BrandonTO416

26 minutes ago, BrandonTO416 said:

Yes, this many times over. I know Nashville is known for a certain style of music and it is (somewhat) native to the region. But there are a ton of natives to middle Tennessee - like myself - that never liked the country genre and its whiney, moaning, twangy sound. Listening to a lot of country is like listening to nails on slate. Hell, I like the music scene in Memphis more than Nashville. The rock and blues and soul is so much more appealing to me than the twang. I'll listen to the tunes coming out of the bars on Beale well before I will pay attention to Lower Broadway in Nashville.

It is interesting you bring this up, because I just wrote about this topic on in the Coffeehouse section on Nashville in the past decade. I wrote enough there, so I will spare writing more here. LOL

Nashville is WAY more than country music.  Lower Broad is nearly 100% geared towards tourism, which is basically country music...and even the honky tonks are more about old-time country...whereas today's country music is more closely related to hip hop  and pop than the "whiney twang."

There are tons of venues around town that cater to music other than country music.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Nashville is WAY more than country music.  Lower Broad is nearly 100% geared towards tourism, which is basically country music...and even the honky tonks are more about old-time country...whereas today's country music is more closely related to hip hop  and pop than the "whiney twang."

There are tons of venues around town that cater to music other than country music.

Well, I haven't found any good electro/house venue in the tourist areas. Considering electro has went from underground to mainstream, its painfully missing in the Nashville music scene from what I've seen. And I've been in town several times in the past year. I will be in town soon again this coming month.

This is just a personal preference, I'm not against country fans. Its fine to say Nashville is more than country, but let's also not deny Nashville's core is still country. It is big business in Nashville and its a core tourist attraction. Unfortunately I would rather have ear plugs in, but it is reality. The native TN population is quite diverse, I'm not the only one who feels this way. It is just opinion, afterall.

FWIW, I am not particularly keen on hip hop either. And pop'i'fied electro often sucks. I might as well grab the ear plugs for that junk as well. Music to me is about more than just lyrics, I want to walk away feeling energized, like I have been uplifted, I enjoy a positive experience. Listening to hip hop kind of makes me depressed most of the time.

Let's just say I don't see Nashville hosting Tomorrowland anytime soon. LOL If you want, google it or youtube it to know what I'm talking about.

If you have any advice for venues to check out that might be of interest to me while I'm back in town, my ears and eyes are open. Tell me what to check out, I'm game for it.

Edited by BrandonTO416
  • Like 1

I've been organizing a compendium of all the progress in 2015 within the Inner-belt Core (CDB, SoBro, Rolling Mill Hills, Gulch, Capitol View, North Capitol, Bicentennial Mall, Germantown, East Bank, and Riverfront).  There is even more beyond (Midtown, East Nashville, Charlotte Corridor, etc.)…but I am concentrating on the Core here.  All of this in the past 12 months:

OPENED:

First Tennessee Ballpark

Ascend Amphitheater

Gulch Crossings

Hilton Garden Inn Suites 

Riverfront Park extension between Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge and Ascend Amphitheater

Riverfront Landing Park on east side of Cumberland River

Acme Feed and Seed Restaurant and Clubs

UNDERWAY:

505 Church Street (45 stories, 543 feet)

Turnberry Marriott (34 stories, 385 feet)

222 2nd Ave. (25 stories, 305 feet)

Eakin (15 stories, 193 feet)

SoBro Apartments (33 stories, 335 feet)

Bridgestone (30 stories, 460 feet)

Westin Hotel (27 stories, 344 feet)

Thompson Hotel (12 stories, 135 feet)

HCA Parallon (17 stories, 270 feet)

Terra Apartments at Rolling Mill Hills (7 stories, 75 feet)

Avenue Diner (6 stories, 70 feet)

Pollack Shores Apartments (5 stories, 55 feet)

Broadstone Apartments in Germantown (5 stories, 50 feet)

Grove Park Apartments in Germantown (5 stories, 50 feet)

PDG Apartments in Germantown (5 stories, 60 feet)

TriBridge Residential in Germantown (5 stories, 50 feet)

Fountains Apartments in Germantown (5 stories, 55 feet)

909 Flats in North Capitol (5 stories, 50 feet)

The Factory Building Apartments in Germantown (6 stories, 65 feet)

The Company Building Apartments in Germantown (6 stories, 65 feet)

Carillon Apartments, North Capitol (4 stories, 45 feet)

Stix public art (70 feet tall)

IN THE PIPELINE (STARTING IN 2016):

Buckingham Apartments (38 stories, 420 feet)

5th and Broadway Office Tower (32 stories, 360 feet)

5th and Broadway Apartments (34 stories, 350 feet)

The Joseph Hotel (22 stories, 230 feet)

Northpoint Marriott Tri-Brand (19 stories, 220 feet)

Cambria Suites (15-19 stories, 150 to 190 feet)

Holiday Inn 4th Avenue South (16 stories, 170 feet)

Fairlane Hotel redevelopment of bank building (13 stories, 140 feet)

James Robertson Hotel redevelopment (12 stories 130 feet)

Federal Courthouse (8 stories, 150 feet)

One Nashville Hotel (12 stories, 100 feet)

Noel Hotel redevelopment and addition (10 stories, 100 feet)

Utopia Hotel redevelopment and addition (10 stories, 110 feet) 

Sarah Cannon Research at Capitol View (10 stories, 120 feet)

Bobby Hotel redevelopment of Wells Fargo Bank (9 stories, 110 feet)

City Lights (8 stories, 80 feet)

21c Hotel redevelopment (7 stories 80 feet)

Olmstead Apartments (7 stories, 70 feet)

Watertown Condos (7 stories, 75 feet)

Stockyard Building redevelopment and apartments (7 stories, 75 feet)

First Baptist Church expansion (6 stories, 70 feet)

Moxy Hotel (redevelopment of Richards Building, 6 stories, 65 feet)

Lark Hotel on Second Ave. South (6 stories, 65 feet)

Harry O's Steakhouse and boutique hotel on site of Trail West (6 stories, 65 feet)

Centerstone Apartments redevelopment of Ella Hayes Center in Germantown (5 stories, 50 feet)

Frank Ward Condos at First Tennessee Ballpark (5 stories, 55 feet)

Jefferson Street Apartments (4 stories 45 feet)

5th and Broadway Shopping Plaza (4 stories, 50 feet)

African-American Music Hall of Fame (4 stories, 50 feet) at 5th and Broadway complex

Printers Alley Redevelopment

Bankers Alley Redevelopment

Division Street bridge and corridor extension

Gulch Pedestrian Bridge

Fort Nashborough reconstruction

Cumberland River Boathouse Park, 13 acres below Rolling Mill Hills.

More Germantown, Buena Vista, Rolling Mill Hills, Gulch, and SoBro 4-6 story apartment/condo developments (hard to keep up with them all).

EXCITING PROSPECTS (FURTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS/DESIGNS PENDING):

Uptown Development at former LifeWay HQ site (rumored 3 additional towers between 15-30 stories, plus converting landmark buildings).

Five-star Hotel/Premium Condos from Second Avenue Investments (First and Siegenthaler Bridge site development from Northern Capital/MCL on former Market Street Apts. site. Rumored two buildings perhaps 25 stories each).

Endeavor development at former Mazda location on Broadway (rumored to be anywhere from 25 to 50 stories). 

Crescendo Condo Tower  (23 stories, 250 feet)

MDHA sites at KVB and Hermitage surrounding the Trolly Barns. Rezoned for up to 30-story towers.

Alpha Development on KVB between 5th and 6th Ave. for possible 20-30 story hotel. 

Mainland mixed-use development at KVB/Music City Circle and Lafayette for two 20-30 story hotel, residential, commercial properties.

Don Allen's 60-acre NE riverbank mixed-use development (9 residential buildings 12 stories each, 10 office buildings 8-10 stories each, restaurants, music/TV production, boat landing, greenways).

First and KVB site for 30 story hotel.

Hammer Mill Residential and Neuhoff Packing Plant redevelopment

Tennessee State Museum at Rosa Parks and Jefferson St.

Tennessee State Library and Archives at Jefferson and 6th Avenue.

I'm sure I'm missing some, so feel free to add (once again, remember--this is just the inner core I have concentrated on here.  Good Lord, Midtown alone probably ha at least a dozen 15-25 story projects either under construction or in the pipeline!).  In any event, 2015 has to go down as one of the most exciting years in the history of Nashville development, especially in the inner core. And I think next year could be even better.

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, BrandonTO416 said:

If you have any advice for venues to check out that might be of interest to me while I'm back in town, my ears and eyes are open. Tell me what to check out, I'm game for it.

The venues I know that have quite a few EDM acts would be Mercy Lounge, Cannery Ballroom, Marathon Motor Works, Exit / In, The High Watt...though I don't think any of these clubs focus solely on EDM.  I don't listen to much EDM...it's too whiney and twangy. 

Some of the upcoming shows: http://edmtrain.com/tennessee

I think Play Dance Bar may focus on EDM.

Thanks for the recommendations, it still looks like not a single place in town caters specifically to EDM, kind of making my point. However, its good to see those that do incorporate it.

BTW Titan, I have always heard the reasons why people don't like EDM and I'm used to it. Too much energy, too busy, too this, too that. I strongly disagree of course, just as I'm sure plenty of people would say the same thing about my comments on country. To each their own. I just wished there were more EDM lovers in Nashville, its not quite as mainstream as it is in other areas.

And as I said in the other topic, I am happy to hear projects like 505/CST is coming to fruition. Now if West End Summit could be resurrected from the dead that'd be great.

On January 1, 2016 at 10:49 PM, MLBrumby said:

On the list Markhollin... good job.  Did not see M Residences... 19-20 stories (200') already under construction in Midtown. 

And for music venues... also check out OZ. 

As I stated in the post, the focus was just on developments within the inner belt.  If I were to try and compile everything going on within the metro area, I would STILL be typing.  ; )

• Like 1