Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Thousands of places sell Philly Cheesesteaks. They're not made in Philly. They may not be "authentic"....but probably think of Philadelphia at least for a moment when you order/eat one.

I'm not saying this is a great thing for Nashville Hot Chicken, but it's not necessarily a bad thing, especially if it's popular. Much like a Philly Cheesesteak, the benefit would be a well known food item attributed to our city. And if you're like me, if you go to a chain sub shop, you don't think of a steak sandwich as an authentic Philly Cheesesteak. Hopefully it will just create some attention and notoriety to our established hot chicken joints and make them more of a tourist attraction like Pat's and Geno's in Philadelphia. 

• Like 3

On 1/16/2016 at 6:06 PM, titanhog said:

Sounds like residential building may slow a bit...but we still need office space.

Don't the two play off of each other? The type of people moving into all this new residential are the people likely working in downtown offices, so once more office space eventually gets built to satisfy the demand for it, more residential and hotels will be also be in demand. Also, I'm still hopeful that companies may want to relocate to Nashville since TN has favorable business atmosphere compared to many other states, which would send the demand for office/residential/hotels up further. I know companies are meeting together in Nashville (my family and I are coming over from Memphis in a couple of weeks to meet with one of my wife's old high school friends from California who will be there for company training) some of these companies coming here might like what they see.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I wish Tony would have gone ahead and built the original Signature Tower and made it an office tower.  Would be in high demand right now.

Are there any other spots available where it could feasibly be built? I guess places where the height limits would allow for it is the real question, and if he willing to give it another try.

William Williams has a rundown on recent permits issued in the Post: http://nashvillepost.com/news/2016/1/18/permit_patrol_18_january_2016

This includes permit for structural framing for 25-story 222 2nd Avenue tower; groundbreaking permit for Cambria Suites on 2/10; and SWH's River House at RMH with 245 apartments. 

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Someone here has already mentioned a site that would be an outstanding lot for a 60-story tower with a spire. It is the parking lot directly across 4th Avenue South from the Hilton Suites (adjacent to the Bridgestone Arena).

Here is a streetview:   https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1602266,-86.7766241,3a,75y,50.24h,93.25t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1svOzRoLnpBBNEYrifsbrJkg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DvOzRoLnpBBNEYrifsbrJkg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D84.273643%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656   

It is currently a popular parking location, and is nearly always packed with cars when I see it.  But obviously, it is underutilized. 

First, I think a new tallest at that site should be predominantly office and leverage multiple levels of parking (either underground or platform) to serve the whole area as well as extend the action from Broadway toward the symphony hall. If parking is put u/g, the ingress/egress could be either both at the present 3rd avenue entrance, or in on 3rd and out on 4th, whichever makes more sense, and steps could be put up from the garage to Broadway.  The building could be situated in such a manner as to create an open pedestrian plaza behind it and the Broadway Brew House and the buildings lining 3rd Avenue. The "back" (east) side of the first floors would be ideal for 2-3 restaurants with terraced indoor/outdoor dining and other retail opening to the plaza. The plaza would be open from Broadway to the front of the Schermerhorn (so one looking south from Broadway could see the central columns of the Schermerhorn through the plaza. 

I don't know who owns that, but I could see MDHA using incentives to get more office space (and with 4% vacancy) it would seem to be a good time to pursue this type of project downtown. The site is tight for office, but if the building is situated diagonally (I favor a NE-SW orientation to allow more light into the plaza), it should offer at least as much of a footprint for s.f. per floor as the Pinnacle. 

If you could imagine a tower like this one, and the Emery development at the old Convention Center, it would effectively wrap Lower Broad in an urban cocoon. Sadly, that is probably why the owners on Broadway and preservationists would be against it.   

Finally, at tower at that site would connect the northern part of the downtown skyline with the southern part in a dramatic way.  Plus, it's on lower ground, so a 60-story tower would not overpower the whole skyline like the same height on higher ground, or like the Devon tower in OKC.  

I agree 100 %, however I have never heard of any proposals on this lot. I am not sure who even owns it, but I dare say, they would have been offered a mint for the property.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Someone here has already mentioned a site that would be an outstanding lot for a 60-story tower with a spire. It is the parking lot directly across 4th Avenue South from the Hilton Suites (adjacent to the Bridgestone Arena).

Here is a streetview:   https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1602266,-86.7766241,3a,75y,50.24h,93.25t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1svOzRoLnpBBNEYrifsbrJkg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DvOzRoLnpBBNEYrifsbrJkg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D84.273643%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656   

It is currently a popular parking location, and is nearly always packed with cars when I see it.  But obviously, it is underutilized. 

First, I think a new tallest at that site should be predominantly office and leverage multiple levels of parking (either underground or platform) to serve the whole area as well as extend the action from Broadway toward the symphony hall. If parking is put u/g, the ingress/egress could be either both at the present 3rd avenue entrance, or in on 3rd and out on 4th, whichever makes more sense, and steps could be put up from the garage to Broadway.  The building could be situated in such a manner as to create an open pedestrian plaza behind it and the Broadway Brew House and the buildings lining 3rd Avenue. The "back" (east) side of the first floors would be ideal for 2-3 restaurants with terraced indoor/outdoor dining and other retail opening to the plaza. The plaza would be open from Broadway to the front of the Schermerhorn (so one looking south from Broadway could see the central columns of the Schermerhorn through the plaza. 

I don't know who owns that, but I could see MDHA using incentives to get more office space (and with 4% vacancy) it would seem to be a good time to pursue this type of project downtown. The site is tight for office, but if the building is situated diagonally (I favor a NE-SW orientation to allow more light into the plaza), it should offer at least as much of a footprint for s.f. per floor as the Pinnacle. 

If you could imagine a tower like this one, and the Emery development at the old Convention Center, it would effectively wrap Lower Broad in an urban cocoon. Sadly, that is probably why the owners on Broadway and preservationists would be against it.   

Finally, at tower at that site would connect the northern part of the downtown skyline with the southern part in a dramatic way.  Plus, it's on lower ground, so a 60-story tower would not overpower the whole skyline like the same height on higher ground, or like the Devon tower in OKC.  

That would be an amazing lot to develop, but since it is only one block off of Broadway, it would have to adhere to the 20 story height restrictions that were imposed on the lot that was to have the  original Westiin hotel many years ago. Then it was to be a 17 Grand Hyatt that was also cancelled. The building would need to be set back as far as possible. (I have heard that lot is to be used for a plaza extension for the Schermerhorn if they so choose to include an eventual outside venue for outdoor weddings, concerts etc so they don't have to use Ascend for an outdoor concert.)  In any case, there are severe height restriction as one gets closer to Broadway. That is why the Hilton is capped at 10 stories.

6 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I'd like to see some of that lot reserved for a plaza. The Schermerhorn needs a suitably grand frame at its main entrance. Even having the existing plaza extended in to the first lane of parking would work. But you're right, something needs to be done here other than a parking lot.

25 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

I'd like to see some of that lot reserved for a plaza. The Schermerhorn needs a suitably grand frame at its main entrance. Even having the existing plaza extended in to the first lane of parking would work. But you're right, something needs to be done here other than a parking lot.

What would be really fantastic would be some thoughtful architecture on the part of this wishful-thinking-tower's designer that would take into account the fact that the plaza is there in the first place and then incorporate it accordingly. Maybe a tunnel through the base of the tower leading towards Broadway that vaguely mimics the Arc de Triomphe? Talk about complimentary architecture...

Hey...a guy can dream, right?

• Like 2

Ok...so after the report that was in the Tennesseean (I believe)...we see that residential may slow down a little (and hotels, too, I guess)...but we have a big need for office space.

So we have the Eakin project coming online in 2016...then we'll have the 222 2nd Ave project maybe in late 2017...and the 5th & Broadway tower, which won't be available until maybe 2019?

Is that enough space to slow down future development of offices for a few years...or is that just the tip of the iceberg?  Also makes me wonder why Turnberry would forego building that office tower when office space is in such demand.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, titanhog said:

Ok...so after the report that was in the Tennesseean (I believe)...we see that residential may slow down a little (and hotels, too, I guess)...but we have a big need for office space.

So we have the Eakin project coming online in 2016...then we'll have the 222 2nd Ave project maybe in late 2017...and the 5th & Broadway tower, which won't be available until maybe 2019?

Is that enough space to slow down future development of offices for a few years...or is that just the tip of the iceberg?  Also makes me wonder why Turnberry would forego building that office tower when office space is in such demand.

Turnberry did not have a lead tenant. They are not going to build on spec,  and I assume since they specialize in hotel and residential, the office option was nothing more than a proposal. With that being said, I am not saying that it won't happen, but with the market easing up, the stock market losing value due to the Chinese shakeup, I bet we could see a slow down. At least what we have started will be finished.

On January 18, 2016 at 10:01 AM, MLBrumby said:

Yes....this is a site that I have been envisioning for just this purpose for a long time.  Thanks for verbalizing a lot of the same feelings I have about it.   

• Like 1

On speculation that the Titans are for sale... from Boclair at the Post. 

http://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/tennessee-titans/blog/20488268/underwood-sticks-to-his-story-says-titans-not-for-sale

The NFL owners have made their wishes for at least a piece of local ownership clear, are rumored to be trying a marriage between Peyton Manning and (a/the) team.  I have no doubt that Manning would make a great owner of any team, a'la Elway at Denver. But it's clear that he has no existing ties to the team; nor is there evidence that the Adams family is even interested in sharing ownership.  The way things look, they are putting out feelers to possible buyers.  The Times Free Press here in Chattanooga has speculated the sell/move possibility, and in large part because they retained Mularkey as the coach.  Mark Wiedmer says it's highly speculative, but he believes the team has already approached Mayor Barry's office for an expanded/upgraded/domed stadium, and they appear to have shown no interest in that.  

In my humble opinion, if Peyton Manning were to be pulled into an ownership ring, I believe it's more likely that Jim Haslam would bring him on board at Cleveland.  Their UT ties are solid. And the Browns management has been criticized by everyone. 

Edited by MLBrumby

55 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

On speculation that the Titans are for sale... from Boclair at the Post. 

http://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/tennessee-titans/blog/20488268/underwood-sticks-to-his-story-says-titans-not-for-sale

The NFL owners have made their wishes for at least a piece of local ownership clear, are rumored to be trying a marriage between Peyton Manning and (a/the) team.  I have no doubt that Manning would make a great owner of any team, a'la Elway at Denver. But it's clear that he has no existing ties to the team; nor is there evidence that the Adams family is even interested in sharing ownership.  The way things look, they are putting out feelers to possible buyers.  The Times Free Press here in Chattanooga has speculated the sell/move possibility, and in large part because they retained Mularkey as the coach.  Mark Wiedmer says it's highly speculative, but he believes the team has already approached Mayor Barry's office for an expanded/upgraded/domed stadium, and they appear to have shown no interest in that.  

In my humble opinion, if Peyton Manning were to be pulled into an ownership ring, I believe it's more likely that Jim Haslam would bring him on board at Cleveland.  Their UT ties are solid. And the Browns management has been criticized by everyone. 

There is no "move" in the near future.....the TFP can speculate that all they want; however, the Titan's lease at Nissan Stadium is pretty ironclad for the next decade and a half....thanks to Bredesen et al who brokered the deal to move the Oilers from Houston. 

• Like 3

I wish we would have built a retractable roof stadium when they moved here, but the technology for doing it right really wasn't perfected until recently, it seems.  However...if the Adams' family tried to hold us hostage (already) for a new stadium, we'd probably be getting what we deserved for ever dealing with that family in the first place.  I am glad we have the ironclad contract for another 10+ years.  I just hope they sell the team to someone who will keep it here (and care about the team) in the near future.

• Like 1

I doubt if Mark Weidmer at the TFP can spell professional football.  What does some columnist who has spent his career covering college know about the Titans.  They're not going anywhere.  As for the ownership, I don't recall any of them playing a  down.  I am critical of the fact that they were 20 million under the salary cap.  This team needs talent.  The good news is they have a quarterback.  That is more than half the battle in the NFL.  Now go build around him.   There's nothing wrong with this team that winning some games wouldn't cure.  Where do all this freaking speculation come from?

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, shanky said:

I doubt if Mark Weidmer at the TFP can spell professional football.  What does some columnist who has spent his career covering college know about the Titans.  They're not going anywhere.  As for the ownership, I don't recall any of them playing a  down.  I am critical of the fact that they were 20 million under the salary cap.  This team needs talent.  The good news is they have a quarterback.  That is more than half the battle in the NFL.  Now go build around him.   There's nothing wrong with this team that winning some games wouldn't cure.  Where do all this freaking speculation come from?

A lot of it comes from the NFL itself.  They haven't been happy with the structure of the Titans ever since Bud Adams passed away.  And...it appears that none of the family members who now own the team have as much interest in the day to day running of the team as Bud did.

People within the NFL media have speculated for at least 2 years that the Titans were being shopped...even if it was only "casually"...and with Amy Adams Strunk being the only owner who wasn't at the recent owner's meeting to vote on the Rams / Chargers / Raiders possible move to LA...it just fueled more speculation.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, titanhog said:

A lot of it comes from the NFL itself.  They haven't been happy with the structure of the Titans ever since Bud Adams passed away.  And...it appears that none of the family members who now own the team have as much interest in the day to day running of the team as Bud did.

People within the NFL media have speculated for at least 2 years that the Titans were being shopped...even if it was only "casually"...and with Amy Adams Strunk being the only owner who wasn't at the recent owner's meeting to vote on the Rams / Chargers / Raiders possible move to LA...it just fueled more speculation.

Because she was sooooooooo busy with the coaching search.....please....they were too busy planning how to spin malarkey into Mularkey.

I should digress or take it to the Coffee House....apologies.

Edited by tragenvol
courtesy
  • Like 3