Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

10 hours ago, Andrew_3289 said:

I agree - KFC doing a "Nashville hot chicken" is not bad at all. Nobody with any sense at all really thinks that KFC is going to put out AUTHENTIC Nashville Hot Chicken. 

I grew up in Philadelphia and people imitating Philly cheese steaks hasn't hurt the city at all. If anything it only helps, it adds to the tourism sector because people can say they have had a REAL philly cheese steak, or in our case now, REAL Nashville Hot chicken when they come to town and visit. Friends from outside of Philly are always asking me where they should get the best cheese steak when they are in Philly and now people are asking me where to get the best hot chicken in Nashville. Just embrace it, its a nice talking point. 

That's what I'm talking about. Locals will laugh about it (and I'll go on the record as saying I think having our own cuisine is kind of cool, but I think the attention is overblown, and if not, will be soon), but it's actually a cool thing to have.

And who knows? You may get your friends to pay for your meal as a thank you for showing them a REAL spot.

• Like 2

All I will say is that hopefully with new ownership (and legitimate staffing, if it ever happens) should come a complete RE-BRANDING. For almost the entirety of this teams existence the seasons have ranged from disappointing to mediocre. Get rid of the god-awful, eggshell baby-blue colors, the confusing logo, basically everything that reminds us of the team's existence post McNair fizzing out. I don't mind keeping the Titans name or the historical element behind it, but I just can't see anyone ever being excited again by the franchise in it's current form, which is essentially a constant reminder of embarrassment and failure. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NikOnder said:

All I will say is that hopefully with new ownership (and legitimate staffing, if it ever happens) should come a complete RE-BRANDING. For almost the entirety of this teams existence the seasons have ranged from disappointing to mediocre. Get rid of the god-awful, eggshell baby-blue colors, the confusing logo, basically everything that reminds us of the team's existence post McNair fizzing out. I don't mind keeping the Titans name or the historical element behind it, but I just can't see anyone ever being excited again by the franchise in it's current form, which is essentially a constant reminder of embarrassment and failure. 

I actually like the baby blue (LOVED their Nike Color Rush unis). At the beginning they didn't embrace one main color so it was impossible to spot fans in the stadium. Some would have navy jerseys, some white, some red, etc. I think visually and from a marketing standpoint the baby blue is great. What is confusing about the logo? Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think that has changed? Like stated earlier, just win and the excitement will come. They don't need a Re-Branding, in a way we have that with Mariota being the face of the team. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nashvillwill said:

I have a small, off topic, gripe. image.thumb.jpeg.a97623e2f8455c4b6df57ca

This image is the street crossing at 3rd coming off of the pedestrian bridge. That pedestrian bridge is one of the best things this city has done in the last 20 years. Combined with the promenade in front of the symphony and the hotel leading up to the arena makes for a magnificent wide walkway. On hockey game day, thousands of people use this. On an average afternoon, it is still a relatively high use pathway.

Now, notice the crosswalk markings. Pathetic and dangerous. It gives very little notice to drivers that this is a high use area. I would say, that at a minimum, the stripes need to be as wide as the walkway. It would be better if there were motion activated ( or always on) flashers in the street surface. 

Its just one of those things that makes me think Nashville's infrastructure hasn't quite caught up with its growth. Or that someone is not paying attention to needs like this. 

Couldn't agree more.  Very well stated.  Nashville's infrastructure has a long, long way to go before it even comes close to actually reflecting the level of infrastructure that a metro of two million people should have.  Just about the only thing Nashville's built environment that truly lives up to it's size is the highrise development itself. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nashvillwill said:

I have a small, off topic, gripe. 

This image is the street crossing at 3rd coming off of the pedestrian bridge. That pedestrian bridge is one of the best things this city has done in the last 20 years. Combined with the promenade in front of the symphony and the hotel leading up to the arena makes for a magnificent wide walkway. On hockey game day, thousands of people use this. On an average afternoon, it is still a relatively high use pathway.

Now, notice the crosswalk markings. Pathetic and dangerous. It gives very little notice to drivers that this is a high use area. I would say, that at a minimum, the stripes need to be as wide as the walkway. It would be better if there were motion activated ( or always on) flashers in the street surface. 

Its just one of those things that makes me think Nashville's infrastructure hasn't quite caught up with its growth. Or that someone is not paying attention to needs like this. 

27 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Couldn't agree more.  Very well stated.  Nashville's infrastructure has a long, long way to go before it even comes close to actually reflecting the level of infrastructure that a metro of two million people should have.  Just about the only thing Nashville's built environment that truly lives up to it's size is the highrise development itself. 

+3.

When I used to bike to work more often, this was my primary route. Most afternoons, there would be cars parked on top of, or at least partially blocking this crosswalk and an almost complete disregard for the signs instructing drivers to yield to pedestrians in said crosswalk. These parked cars only made things worse because instead of drivers blatantly ignoring those waiting to cross, drivers couldn't even see the pedestrians in the first place because of the cars in the way.

I don't have much patience for gripes coming from jaywalkers, but when someone is in a marked--and legally mandated--crosswalk, you should go out of your way to stop. The fact that people don't do this greatly emphasizes your point that it should be more clearly marked and better maintained.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Titans10 said:

I always thought the Titans should ditch the flaming thumbtack logo and go with the sword and shield that is their secondary logo.  That combined with an update of the helmet would go a long way in giving the Titans the best looking uniforms in the league, I love the two tone blue!!

MgTOUkPh.jpg

I agree the secondary lego is far superior to the "flaming thumbtack" (which is a good descriptor). I don't like the thumbtack logo because it doesn't really convey anything. I mean...what is it? It does nothing to convey the idea of an "Athenian soldier", much less the mythological Titans the team is named after. It's really a lost opportunity for a motif that could have been inspired by the Greek soldier look. I hear Titans and I think of stylizations of hoplite helmets or round shields or even temple columns or a million other things before what we actually have. I mean, we have the potential to be one of the most visually unique and cool franchises in the league, but, as it is, its just vague and un-intriguing. And to top it all of, our mascot is a raccoon. I mean seriously?? My gripe with the baby blue is that, psychologically, that is a color associated with babies in onesies. It's just the opposite of menacing or tough looking in my opinion. Anyway, not trying to beat a dead horse, just had to put my two-cents in on the topic.

23 hours ago, NikOnder said:

I disagree for multiple reasons. First, if a re-branding is ever brought about, it's primarily at the motivation of Nike and the surge in merchandise sales that come forth. Second, the Titans could re-brand to the best jerseys in the league, but that won't impact anything other than the pocket book of Nike/The League/team ownership, especially if they're winning 3 or 4 games a year. Third, the Titans could win 12 games next year with the same uniforms (which are actually very good in comparison to similarly aged professional franchise uniform combos) and I doubt there would be any talk of  re-branding. Fourth, the god-awful, eggshell baby-blue is a pretty solid connection to/remnant of the Houston Oilers...I have no connection to Houston, but I appreciate a connection with a team that dates back to the 60's; something no other Tennessee franchise can boast (other than throwbacks from the Grizz). Last and certainly not least, re-branding is gimmicky and historically franchises that have re-branded away from their historic logos and colors have eventually returned to them, sometimes fairly soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arkitekte said:

I disagree for multiple reasons. First, if a re-branding is ever brought about, it's primarily at the motivation of Nike and the surge in merchandise sales that come forth. Second, the Titans could re-brand to the best jerseys in the league, but that won't impact anything other than the pocket book of Nike/The League/team ownership, especially if they're winning 3 or 4 games a year. Third, the Titans could win 12 games next year with the same uniforms (which are actually very good in comparison to similarly aged professional franchise uniform combos) and I doubt there would be any talk of  re-branding. Fourth, the god-awful, eggshell baby-blue is a pretty solid connection to/remnant of the Houston Oilers...I have no connection to Houston, but I appreciate a connection with a team that dates back to the 60's; something no other Tennessee franchise can boast (other than throwbacks from the Grizz). Last and certainly not least, re-branding is gimmicky and historically franchises that have re-branded away from their historic logos and colors have eventually returned to them, sometimes fairly soon. 

Agreed completely.  Also, I'd bet this guy would have something to say about powder blue being a 'weak' color.  haha :)

ZachRandolphSunsSG.jpg

• Like 4

Not to be a negative Nancy here, but I am noticing a huge slow down on Development Tracker and hearing a few other things that signal a moderate to major slow down. I dare say a number of the projects on the boards will be cxl, delayed or scaled back. Nothing may be off the table. I do think a number of these investors have planted a flag here by buying property and will be developed, but maybe not this cycle.

Just did not want everyone to be taken by surprise when this happens.

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Not to be a negative Nancy here, but I am noticing a huge slow down on Development Tracker and hearing a few other things that signal a moderate to major slow down. I dare say a number of the projects on the boards will be cxl, delayed or scaled back. Nothing may be off the table. I do think a number of these investors have planted a flag here by buying property and will be developed, but maybe not this cycle.

Just did not want everyone to be taken by surprise when this happens.

Ron is on target with his take. He and I are hearing things that suggest a moderate slowdown is already unfolding. However, and on a positive note, I feel we'll be in solid shape the next few years.

WW

I think Nashville will be fine.  Just like we were in 2008.  We won't see a flurry but probably a steady "large" project here and there with a descent amount of of small infill.  We have several things up now that will take a few years to complete.

I just hope the old CC project is spared and can weather the storm to begin construction.  This is probably one of the most important, if not the most important project which will dramatically changed DT Nashville.  Even more important than a height breaker.  The talls will come in due time.  Nashville is just really begin to fill out development-wise.  I say we will see a few tall-boys (or girls! 

I can see the Lifeway redevelopment holding off until next cycle if things begin to slow down.

Hopefully, it won't be as dramatic as 2006-2008-ish as far as proposal cancellations.  We have a good amount of impactful projects already under construction.

I can also see the Buckingham group holding off a bit but definitely getting the Gulch tower done.  Hopefully, they won't be tempted to scale it back height-wise.

Edited by timmay143
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, timmay143 said:

I think Nashville will be fine.  Just like we were in 2008.  We won't see a flurry but probably a steady "large" project here and there with a descent amount of of small infill.  We have several things up now that will take a few years to complete.

I just hope the old CC project is spared and can weather the storm to begin construction.  This is probably one of the most important, if not the most important project which will dramatically changed DT Nashville.  Even more important than a height breaker.  The talls will come in due time.  Nashville is just really begin to fill out development-wise.  I say we will see a few tall-boys (or girls! :) ) come around next cycle.  

I can see the Lifeway redevelopment holding off if things begin to slow down.  Hopefully, it won't be as dramatic as 2006-2008-ish as far as proposal cancellations.  We have a good amount of impactful projects already under construction.  I can also see the Buckingham group holding off a bit but definitely getting the Gulch tower done.  Hopefully, they won't be tempted to scale it back height-wise.

First time I've EVER seen you dialog this much Tim, even as a moderator.  Turns some heads.  great points

Haha!  Yeah, I've scaled back so much over past few years!  I was more "out-spoken" in my "early" years around 2006-2008.  Even then, my "insightful" post would be pretty rare!  I have a mostly quiet personality anyways so it fits!!  However, even the most withdrawn have to chime in on this great board about this great city every now and then!!

I am ALWAYS lurking.  Maybe I am the REAL Smeagols!  HAHAHA!

Edited by timmay143
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, timmay143 said:

Haha!  Yeah, I've scaled back so much over past few years!  I was more "out-spoken" in my "early" years around 2006-2008.  Even then, my "insightful" post would be pretty rare!  I have a mostly quiet personality anyways so it fits!!  However, even the most withdrawn have to chime in on this great board about this great city every now and then!!

I miss that Chihuahua (in the avatar)...