Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

The blasted oil prices drive me crazy. At first they were complaining they were to high, now they are complaining they are too low. They were upset that China's economy was too hot, now its China's economy slowing down.

Day traders are a lot of the blame for the current market woes because they are the first ones that get scared and cause all of the fear based trading.

Everyone just needs to get a grip on reality and the Fed needs to crack down on day trading and put an end to a lot of it.

• Like 2

Nashville is one of those cities who's economy is diversified enough but also grounded in its largest sectors, such as medical, manufacturing, and higher education, that can help it weather an economic storm, ala 2008. Nashville is up there with some cities in our region like Dallas, Austin, and Atlanta where the economies aren't really tied to the oil markets so much. That said, housing/construction crashing would be the downfall of us and those 3 if it got bad enough.

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The blasted oil prices drive me crazy. At first they were complaining they were to high, now they are complaining they are too low. They were upset that China's economy was too hot, now its China's economy slowing down.

Day traders are a lot of the blame for the current market woes because they are the first ones that get scared and cause all of the fear based trading.

Everyone just needs to get a grip on reality and the Fed needs to crack down on day trading and put an end to a lot of it.

I heard on the radio that oil was $24 per barrel, but the barrel itself costs $29.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Nashville is one of the "hot" cities slated to get four new Hilton "Tru" hotels.  Anyone know where these will be? 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/01/25/new-hilton-budget-chain-eyes-four-nashville-hotels/79289630/

Not a clue. As for the location, where ever that will be, it will be very hard to make the numbers work with the real estate prices where they are. It will of coarse be cheaper to build, but the land prices are going to kill them. My guess as far as location would be somewhere just off Church closer to the Interstate between Charlotte. As for the downtown location, on the fringe lower SoBro or North Capital. Again, this is speculation on my part.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2016 at 1:39 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Day traders are a tiny part of the market and they are certainly not large enough to move it. The moves are fear based and are driven by the large institutional money and sovereign wealth funds with billions of dollars, not day traders with hundreds of thousands.

Also, the Fed does not regulate day trading, the SEC is in charge of that. The Fed regulates banking. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Not a clue. As for the location, where ever that will be, it will be very hard to make the numbers work with the real estate prices where they are. It will of coarse be cheaper to build, but the land prices are going to kill them. My guess as far as location would be somewhere just off Church closer to the Interstate between Charlotte. As for the downtown location, on the fringe lower SoBro or North Capital. Again, this is speculation on my part.

I think one of the lots to the east of the ballpark would be great for a hotel, specifically the block surrounded by Jefferson, 3rd, Jackson, and 2nd would be ideal.

Edited by markhollin

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Nashville is one of the "hot" cities slated to get four new Hilton "Tru" hotels.  Anyone know where these will be? 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/01/25/new-hilton-budget-chain-eyes-four-nashville-hotels/79289630/

NBJ has a similar article, but also aded that, "it's prototype hotel will contain 98 rooms and occupy less than 2 acres."  

8 hours ago, markhollin said:

NBJ has a similar article, but also aded that, "it's prototype hotel will contain 98 rooms and occupy less than 2 acres."  

Even "less than 2 acres" is $$$ downtown.  When they say downtown and midtown, it's hard to imagine 2 plots of land that will fit their assumed price range.  Lower SoBro (near I-40)?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

I don't see the economics of this being downtown, unless they are including some place like Metro Center in "downtown."  Priceline and Hotwire have included Metro center in their downtown district, which is clearly is not, but not all marketing is 100% accurate. 

This lets them include all the suburban "fire sale" properties (e.g. Maxwell House) up there as "Downtown". People must get really excited about their crazy-low rates until they commit and see what "Downtown" really means.

Data usage plans do not currently apply to XFINITY Internet customers on our fiber-based Extreme 505 and Gigabit Pro tiers of service. Data usage plans also do not currently apply to Business Internet customers and customers on Bulk Internet agreements.

38 minutes ago, SoundScan said:

Comcast XL Gigabit Pro: $299/month with 2-year contract + $500 installation fee + $500 activation fee + Comcast's #1 Worst Rated Customer Service

Google Fiber Gigabit Internet: $70/month with 1-year contract. The end.

Chorus.. (one more time...)

Yup, Yup, snort-snort....

lipstick_on_pig_snort-snort_med.jpg.a978

• Like 2

10 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Most anything Comcast says is a lie.  They never would have installed fiber or increased speeds if Google had not come in and did it.  And yet, our lawmakers shelter terrible corporations like Comcast and ATT from the "scary" municipal ISPs.

Indeed.

Google is laughing all the way to the bank. They aren't an ISP out of desire, but rather out of necessity--their intent is to disrupt the market and nothing more. By bringing more people online, they win. They don't care if Comcast or AT&T or anyone else does it, as long as those people end up using Google services. If it's gigabit, then that means they can consume that much more content that much more quickly. The end goal of their pricing structure is simply to make it accessible to more people.

My interpretation of Fiber is that it is really nothing more than an enormous PR game. Years of marketing, civic engagement and partnerships with utilities and public officials gets them tons of positive exposure. Bringing massive numbers of people into the high-end broadband market--and doing so economically and reliably--only increases the effectiveness of their goodwill campaign.

It just so happens that we all stand to experience significant positive change as a result of all of this. If only more giant corporations could find more ways to get rich by making customers happy, for a change...

• Like 2