Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

"With a 2015 like this, Nashville may be nation's 'hottest banking market.' Bolstered by a roaring real estate market and continued business growth, Nashville banks collectively reeled in $315.5 million in net income during 2015, according to year-end Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. call reports. That was 34.1 percent higher than the approximately $235 million local banks made during the year prior — which, it’s worth mentioning again, was the strongest earnings year for local banks in recent memory."

“We expect it to remain strong in 2016. I expect double-digit loan growth again this year,” says Rob Anderson, CFO of CapStar Bank.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/02/with-a-2015-like-this-nashville-just-may-be-the.html?s=print

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

Not the most exciting happening in recent days, but I noticed that the Lifeway store on Broadway is officially closed

Seems odd to close it so far in advance of the move. But I always wondered how viable that spot was for their retail location -- maybe poor sales played a role in the closing.

16 hours ago, volsfanwill said:

http://gizmodo.com/this-super-futuristic-skyscraper-for-brooklyn-will-prob-1759751039

this is about a proposed tower in Brooklyn.  the writer says it may face opposition because they plan on INCORPORATING a historic building into the bottom floors.  

if only we had that problem here. 

Imagine a new "tallest" in Nashville with a height differential like that! Twice as tall as anything else in the city!

...granted, they are across the river from the small town of Manhattan with tons more of those, but still...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Wow!  Good research... are those heights actual published figures or best estimates?  Would not have guessed that HCA is taller than Encore or Element.  Although, when I last drove through there over Christmas break, the HCA tower was quite large looming over the I-40 "canyon". 

They are based on quotes in this forum and other websites except for the Buckingham, which I estimated. The HCA Parallon height came from a PDF file they submitted to Planning for approvals. They 'claim' it is only 247', but that didn't include the mechanical structure on top. So I added 10'.

9 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

Huge estate sale going on in East Nashville. I only post this because I think @rookzie and maybe a few others might enjoy the antique Nashville railroad memorabilia included here:

http://www.wsmv.com/story/31267077/hundreds-of-items-from-historic-east-nashville-home-up-for-auction

Thanks, Vrtigo, for that tip-off. I probably will miss it all, because of Sunday worship and with another commitment today, unfortunately.  I've always wanted just to be able to see inside that house, which really stands out bold as an elegant surviving example of Romanesque Revival (?), since many nearby such units long ago were leveled.

Per the Tennessean....

Mayor Barry on a Mission to Bring Grammys to Nashville.

Per past comments from Grammy show producers, the biggest hangup is the threat of snow. It shuts the City down! However, for such an event, the City could have every available snow removal device in a 200 mile radius parked and ready to go. The streets could be kept clear and the interstates kept open.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PHofKS said:

Per the Tennessean....

Per past comments from Grammy show producers, the biggest hangup is the threat of snow. It shuts the City down! However, for such an event, the City could have every available snow removal device in a 200 mile radius parked and ready to go. The streets could be kept clear and the interstates kept open.

Hmm...I hadn't thought about that.  Can you imagine if we had a huge ice storm, like we have now and then?  "The Grammys will not be seen tonight as previously scheduled.  Please stay tuned for a rerun of last week's The Bachelor episode where Max makes all 12 women cry at once."

Per the Tennessean....

Have to make sure that flights could arrive as well, as most of the those going to the Grammys would be flying in. 

When has BNA been closed for weather? I know NY, Boston, etc. have been closed and that affects Nashville, but it impacts L. A. also.

Oh, don't get me started. I rented a car and drove home last year when it snowed here and I was left stranded in Atlanta for (what would have been) 3 days. I don't know how MSP or ORD does it, but BNA definitely ain't got it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, farm_boy said:

Oh, don't get me started. I rented a car and drove home last year when it snowed here and I was left stranded in Atlanta for (what would have been) 3 days. I don't know how MSP or ORD does it, but BNA definitely ain't got it

BNA doesn't have significant enough winter events often enough to justify spending millions on equipment. That said, snow is easy to remove, as what was seen a few weeks back when 8in fell and it didn't close because some flights continued, but ice of any amount shuts airports down because the deicing agents are useless after a certain threshold, as was the case last February. 

• Like 1

Predators considering additions to Broadway site

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2016/02/predators-considering-additions-to-broadway-site.html?ana=twt

According to WPLN, Stover informed the Metro Sports Authority last week that a number of options are under consideration, including new storefronts along Broadway, a permanent bandstage on the arena's plaza and a potential multi-use tower on top of the arena's existing parking garage.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

Predators considering additions to Broadway site

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2016/02/predators-considering-additions-to-broadway-site.html?ana=twt

According to WPLN, Stover informed the Metro Sports Authority last week that a number of options are under consideration, including new storefronts along Broadway, a permanent bandstage on the arena's plaza and a potential multi-use tower on top of the arena's existing parking garage.

I say bring on another hotel.

• Like 1