Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I do not want to assume you are talking about West End, but if you are, I would not equate a minor side street (McKinney Ave) , that is one-way with a major artery like a bi-directinal, 5-line WestEnd/Harding Road when it comes to deciding if removing a lane of traffic is a good idea.

I do like the light-rail in Dallas, and would love a smaller version IF it is affordable.

McKinney Ave Dallas

10 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

I do not want to assume you are talking about West End, but if you are, I would not equate a minor side street (McKinney Ave) , that is one-way with a major artery like a bi-directinal, 5-line WestEnd/Harding Road when it comes to deciding if removing a lane of traffic is a good idea.

I do like the light-rail in Dallas, and would love a smaller version IF it is affordable.

McKinney Ave Dallas

Fair point, and I wasn't trying to rehash that whole debate again...but for the record, I could give you many examples of main arteries that fit the bill too.  But anyway, that's a secondary point.  I just really would love to see more streets in Nashville that looked like McKinney in Dallas...full of beautiful human scaled architecture that fronts tree lined, retail lined, streets that are safe for pedestrians.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Agreed guys.  Let me also point out the presence of DART light rail tracks on the right hand side, and...*GASP*...no traffic jams!  Imagine that. :)

That's McKinney Avenue and I don't know when they took that picture, probably a Sunday morning, but it's a one-way main corridor and usually has heavy traffic right there at the West Village/Cityplace West neighborhood. Also, that's the McKinney Avenue Trolley line, not DART. That light rail is about 1.5 blocks east of the location. 

11 hours ago, NashRugger said:

That's McKinney Avenue and I don't know when they took that picture, probably a Sunday morning, but it's a one-way main corridor and usually has heavy traffic right there at the West Village/Cityplace West neighborhood. Also, that's the McKinney Avenue Trolley line, not DART. That light rail is about 1.5 blocks east of the location. 

Would be comical to see a wider frame on this shot. Probably just outside of the picture is a pile of traffic cones blocking a bunch of angry commuters while the developers get their photo op. :rolleyes:

Worlds collide. I've been on this site since I was about 16 growing up in Franklin and that building is a block away from my apartment!

I love the West Village but those older buildings in the center that are a mish-mash of retro architectures (the building next to that is yellow art deco stucco) are not one of my favorite pieces of the neighborhood. I can walk to my doctor, dentist, grocery, dry cleaner, and about 25 restaurants and bars within five minutes! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, franktown said:

Worlds collide. I've been on this site since I was about 16 growing up in Franklin and that building is a block away from my apartment!

I love the West Village but those older buildings in the center that are a mish-mash of retro architectures (the building next to that is yellow art deco stucco) are not one of my favorite pieces of the neighborhood. I can walk to my doctor, dentist, grocery, dry cleaner, and about 25 restaurants and bars within five minutes! 

Did you have another name when you first signed up?

I noticed tonight that the Omni Hotel's lights now scroll messages. They were displaying a background of blue with a yellow "SEC" scrolling across the lights.  It looked really great.  I have previously only noticed slowly changing light previously and definitely not moving text.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hey_Hey said:

I noticed tonight that the Omni Hotel's lights now scroll messages. They were displaying a background of blue with a yellow "SEC" scrolling across the lights.  It looked really great.  I have previously only noticed slowly changing light previously and definitely not moving text.  

This is a capture from the Science Center webcam.  Not sure why it's black and white.  However...you can make out the SEC if you look closely.

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 1.31.35 AM.png

• Like 1