Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I have a question for you guys who have watched Nashville develop over decades and have knowledge of booms and slow-downs.

Is it kinda the "slinky" effect...where development catches fire, you build until the market is a little oversaturated, then wait for the demand to catch up again?  Then, you start all over?  Of course, I realize there are tons of market details that are determining factors, but is it pretty much as simple as the slinky analogy?

Also...with a perceived slow-down looming...can anyone foresee, based on the past, when it would probably catch fire again?

The Nashville chapter of commercial real estate development association NAIOP held its annual awards ceremony Thursday night at Omni Nashville Hotel. Highwoods Properties (Bridgestone Americas Tower) and MarketStreet Enterprises (Gulch Crossing) captured the developer and development of the year award, respectively. The complete list of Middle Tennessee award winners is in the article:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20491472/highwoods-marketstreet-lead-naiop-winners

10 hours ago, titanhog said:

I have a question for you guys who have watched Nashville develop over decades and have knowledge of booms and slow-downs.

Is it kinda the "slinky" effect...where development catches fire, you build until the market is a little oversaturated, then wait for the demand to catch up again?  Then, you start all over?  Of course, I realize there are tons of market details that are determining factors, but is it pretty much as simple as the slinky analogy?

Also...with a perceived slow-down looming...can anyone foresee, based on the past, when it would probably catch fire again?

That is a pretty good way to put it, however this is a boom unlike any Nashville has ever seen. I think our best preview is look at cities like Austin, Charlotte, and Atlanta to compare what is going on now. It may be a matter of past the point of no return, in other words this may go on, in some manner, for a decade or more. You will have a lot of building, then it will slow down some and pick up with the growth feeding on the growth. A synergism if you will.

Now the national economy can and will play a role in that. However, during the last recession, Austin slowed some but was still growing by leaps and bounds compared to the rest of the country.

My guess if all , as far as the national economy stays stable, we will see another pick up in late 2018 or early 2019.

Again, these are personal observations and I am no expert by any stretch of anyone's wildest imagination.

• Like 4

Giant dong building in Miami will incorporate, seemingly, a couple of drop rides.  I don't know why the one proposed for Nashville has to take up some vast acreage.  If it were just a building without surface parking it would look great on the East Bank and really add to the family-friendly entertainment options.

• Like 1

I can appreciate the entertainment value and tourist draw that some type of ride or coaster would inherently bring. But really, the last thing I want to hear constantly at all hours of the day is the screaming and noisy rattling that would accompany such a thing.

It's one thing when you're at an amusement park the noise is to be expected, but what if I wanted to spend a quiet afternoon in the park reading a book?

• Like 4

Nashville is getting a Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum that will feature primarily musicians.  Will be in Opry Mills Mall.  Personally, I think they would do much larger business if it were in a downtown location. I've been to the one in central London.  Pretty cool, and quite popular tourist destination.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/03/madame-tussauds-opening-a-wax-museum-in-nashville.html

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Nashville is getting a Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum that will feature primarily musicians.  Will be in Opry Mills Mall.  Personally, I think they would do much larger business if it were in a downtown location. I've been to the one in central London.  Pretty cool, and quite popular tourist destination.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/03/madame-tussauds-opening-a-wax-museum-in-nashville.html

Yes...that needs to be downtown on Broadway.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2016 at 3:03 PM, markhollin said:

Isn't there already a crappy wax museum out there?

On 3/16/2016 at 1:51 PM, NissanvilleTitans said:

You can at home. If I go out I want to do something fun. Not read. 

So you never just go outside to be outside instead of inside? I and many others read in parks all the time...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nice overview piece from Tennessean that illustrates how Nashvhille has changed so much for the better since 1981 to eventually become an "It City."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/03/22/nashvilles-status-years-making/82078868/

Good overview, thanks for posting.     Contrast this article with all the Metro government bashing currently running in the 12 South thread.   This growth didn't happen by accident, but has been the gradual cause and effect of some significant changes in land use policy, the downtown code and some high profile/high risk investments by the city that are paying off in spades.     Many peer cities are envious of what Nashville has been able to accomplish (so far) and are asking, "how did you do it?"     

• Like 4