Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

That project and the other Melrose project have the chance to be truly transformative for berry hill

You're right, especially for the Franklin Pike sub-section of Berry Hill. All of the residential from Gale Park and developments on the west side of Franklin Pike will now be spilling across Franklin Pike and maybe improved sidewalks and adequate crosswalks will follow. The residential components being right on Franklin will drive that better than the retail developments. The retail developments seem to be fine with a zillion curb cuts and blank parking lots. But the residential tenants will want that walkability.

My dream is for something like the Douglas Corner vibe to continue all the way down Franklin to Berry Road.

• Like 1

That project and the other Melrose project have the chance to be truly transformative for berry hill

486 new units in a town with only 537 people? You're damn right it will transform it. It could potentially triple the population by next Census. Or go beyond if more developments come their way.

This could also be the beginning of the end for Berry Hill being independent of Nashville. With all of these new residents one would think that would be more open to fully joining the metro government.

Could you expand on that line of thought a little? I don't know anything about government and wouldn't pretend to. I don't understand what these two things have to do with each other.

This could also be the beginning of the end for Berry Hill being independent of Nashville. With all of these new residents one would think that would be more open to fully joining the metro government.

Why would they? The only reason Lakewood wanted to is because their government was basically inept an unable to provide services. While Berry Hill is small in actual population, it is a fairly built up and active town, with a lot of commercial and industrial activity.

I can't think of a good reason why they would surrender their charter.

I obviously could be wrong in regards to this, but my feeling is that running city functions (government, police, etc) in a city that is ecompassed by Nashville seems to incredibly ineffcient. Clearly, most of the suburbs over time have had similar feelings and decided to join the Metro Government. For the 500-600 residents that live there, I'm sure there is split opinion on the matter but I would venture to guess a very strong majority would like to keep things the way they are. However, if the town suddenly triples in population over a 5 year period from some high profile apartment developments then a lot of new blood has voting power, and those residents aren't going to have any sentimental feelings toward the old Berry Hill city charter. For someone living in Berry Hill that grew up in Green Hills or Donelson or Chicago or New York it makes more sense to be part of Metro Government.

Most of the suburbs? The only municipality that didn't surrender its charter back when Nashville and Davidson County merged but would later has been Lakewood. Berry Hill's surrendering of government has never come up and I wouldn't expect it to anytime soon. The only city that has had an issue has been recently with Forest Hills and wanting a court or establishing one that is illegal per Metro government creation and establishment since then.

Ok, that last sentence, what in the world, seriously? You talk about two neighborhoods of Nashville and then the 3rd and largest cities in the US. I'm sure their relocation into Berry Hill and it's municipal charter that is still quasi-independent of Metro Nashville is one of the last things they think of, but most likely not at all.

Edited by NashRugger

I think adding population would only strengthen Berry Hill's position as an independent city. And again, while they only have a few hundred people, they also have a few hundred businesses. They have more commercial activity than most cities several times their size, and a tax base that is very deceptive compared to their population stat.

In fact, I would say Berry Hill is more independent than the larger Oak Hill and Forest Hills. I would think the addition of more people would help make more of an identity for the town.