Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, Nashtitans said:

Why does everybody wanna grow like Atlanta. Atlanta, while booming, made many mistakes during its growth. We should look up to cities like Chicago imo

Chicago obviously has more than it's fair share of problems too, but in terms of urban design, I think we've been doing it right for the last couple decades.  

17 hours ago, Nashtitans said:

Why does everybody wanna grow like Atlanta. Atlanta, while booming, made many mistakes during its growth. We should look up to cities like Chicago imo

I don't know of anyone who wants Nashville to grow in the manner Atlanta has. I see the failed AMP campaign and the ongoing efforts to expand our transit system as evidence that we're actively working to mediate the worst of the ills that result from unrestricted sprawl. $.02.

Edited by Rockatansky
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rockatansky said:

I don't know of anyone who wants Nashville to grow in the manner Atlanta has. I see the failed AMP campaign and the ongoing efforts to expand our transit system as evidence that we're actively working to mediate the worst of the ills that result from unrestricted sprawl. $.02.

Agreed, but having a viable mass transit system, of course, is only one small piece of the puzzle.  After all, Atlanta has had it's MARTA subway system for nearly four decades now (since '79) and it did most of it's sprawling in that time span.  

That was a big part of my point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was exactly what I was talking about in my opinion above; that we should learn from the mistakes of these other larger cities prior to deciding on major decisions regarding transit or any other major metropolitan interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

LKQ Corp (an auto parts Fortune 500 company) will be expanding from 400 employees to around 550 in next several years.  Will relocate from Grassmere Park area to another 100,000 sq. ft. lstructure they will build in The Crossings area around I-24 and Bell Road, still in Davidson County.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/01/17/car-parts-distributor-lkq-plans-major-jobs-expansion-antioch/96669296/

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/01/17/fortune-500-auto-business-expanding-nashville.html

• Like 4

On 1/13/2017 at 6:21 PM, titanhog said:

Does anyone have a color-coded map of all of the distinct neighborhood boundaries in Nashville?  Like the Gulch, Germantown, The Nations, 12 South, Acklen, Edgehill, Music Row, Mid Town, SoBro, Pie Town, etc?

A map of Nashville's neighborhoods can be found here: http://www.nashville.gov/Planning-Department/Community-Planning-Design/Neighborhoods.aspx

They aren't color coded, sorry.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

A map of Nashville's neighborhoods can be found here: http://www.nashville.gov/Planning-Department/Community-Planning-Design/Neighborhoods.aspx

They aren't color coded, sorry.

Thanks.  I'm actually working on making a color-coded map.  Thing is...it appears many neighborhoods have different names...so I'm not sure what to call each neighborhood...so I'm having to flip a coin on some.  And...each neighborhood's boundary is a little sketchy on different maps.  However...my map should at least be close.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, titanhog said:

Thanks.  I'm actually working on making a color-coded map.  Thing is...it appears many neighborhoods have different names...so I'm not sure what to call each neighborhood...so I'm having to flip a coin on some.  And...each neighborhood's boundary is a little sketchy on different maps.  However...my map should at least be close.

I made one myself several years ago, running into all of the same problems.  One issue is that some areas have multiple neighborhood associations with overlapping boundaries and there is no "official" designation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

I made one myself several years ago, running into all of the same problems.  One issue is that some areas have multiple neighborhood associations with overlapping boundaries and there is no "official" designation.

Haha!  Yeah...I've already completed about half of one map and trashed it because I found so many discrepancies.  I guess I'll just have to make it and then get ready for disagreements on neighborhood boundaries and names...but at least it will be a starting point.

• Like 2

What would it take to get the Super Bowl in Nashville?

Butch Spyridon is the head of the Nashville Visitors and Convention Bureau. He says 10 years ago, hotel space was a problem, but with 3,000 new rooms and 3,000 more on the way, Nashville is ready for the Super Bowl.

We just need the stadium to do it.

Minnesota just completed U.S. Bank Stadium, and they’ve already been awarded a Super Bowl and a Final Four.

In Atlanta, Falcons owner Arthur Blank is spending big on a new Mercedes-Benz Stadium. When it’s done, it will be the seventeenth new building to go up in the NFL since Nissan Stadium was finished in 1999.

If Nashville decides to make the leap, it will likely cost around $1 billion, or almost twice as much as the new convention center.

http://wkrn.com/2017/01/19/what-does-nashville-need-to-host-a-super-bowl/

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

I hope we never hope a superbowl.  Think of what a billion dollars could do if it were spent on something not stupid.

You trippin. Hosting a superbowl would be great and raise our city profile. Also the city that is hosting it this year, Houston, is getting major upgrades to it's infrastructure and cityscape for it.

• Like 2

Probably also get a bunch of flights to desired locations around North America.  I could even see that it would tip the scales in favor of those flights to London and Tokyo. Of course, the $1 billion + would include the new stadium, so it would be reusable for future super bowls.  But putting the spotlight on a city like Nashville would actually be tremendously larger than the "spotlight" effect on a place like Atlanta, or even Houston, as those cities are already on corporate radars. 

• Like 4