Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

Why in the world is Metro considering giving $14,000,000 to Gaylord for a water park attraction that only guests of the hotel (if this story is accurate) will be able to use?

Tax giveaway

Plus, the rationale for justification of economic benefit is just BS, a fresh pile at that.  That alone just won't "hold water".

f

17 hours ago, PHofKS said:

The Barkley Dam Lock is 600' long (soon to be 1,200') and 110'wide and the Cheatham Dam Lock is 800' long and 110' wide. Just sayin'. There would be 2 1/2 ft. to spare on each side.

:tw_glasses:

Maybe Ingram could pay to ship it up here using his barges and boats then put his soccer stadium on it....  :tw_lol:

We'd actually have a little more room. Barkley Dam is currently 800ft.  Kentucky Dam is 600ft and is expanding to 1200 ft, which will still help the Cumberland River system because Kentucky and Barkley Lakes are connected.  

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, volsfanwill said:

I'm holding out for the current USS Tennessee when she is decommissioned.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tennessee_(SSBN-734)

Ballistic missile Nuclear Submarine.  could park it right up against the riverbank by the stadium.

As I understand it SSBNs are very difficult to convert into display ships. I think they have to cut the boat apart to remove the nuclear reactor.

On 3/3/2017 at 7:37 AM, MLBrumby said:

Write to your Metro council representatives about this. Let them know it smacks of (at the very least) poor decision making on the part of MDHA, and at worst (appears) backroom dealing. On paper, the numbers we've seen just don't make sense. 

And to John Cooper leading this charge; he's a Councilor at Large.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bhibbs said:

I know im in the very small minority, but, I would love to see something like that here...and at an even larger scale

Me too. As long as it looks classy, which I believe this looks very classy, then why not. What's wrong with a little theme? Nashville is known as the music city, so embrace it. Music is the number 1 reason why Nashville is the hot bed that it is today. 

• Like 2

To put a finer point on the story I posted a few entries above, the Feb. home sales last month (up 10.2% over Feb. of 2016) marks the strongest February in sales locally in the last decade:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/03/07/warmer-weather-aids-nashvilles-best-february-home-sales-since-2007-recession/98851736/

• Like 2

Sometimes when I can't sleep I count construction sites instead of sheep.  Last night I totaled-up the amount of floors worth of UC or proposed buildings just within the inner belt and Midtown of structures that are 4 stories or higher.  I only included buildings that are not topped-out yet or projects that seem to have a real chance of getting built (so, this does NOT include the Bridgestone Tower, The Gossett, Skyhouse, Aertson, or The Morris which have all recently reached their height, nor proposals that haven't been green-lighted like 2nd & Demonbreun, Buckingham, World Hotel, Mainland KVB, Hensler's 12th & Demonbreun,  Castle Rock's Demonbreun Hill, River North, etc.).

So...if all of the ones that fit my criteria were stacked on top of each other, we would have a 712 story building...about 7 times taller than the Empire State Building. 

• Like 1

Metro Library System seeks major expansion over next 20 years...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson /2017/03/08/nashville-public-library-seeks-major-countywide-expansion/98820902/

Library branches set for replacement

Donelson opened in 1966
Richland Park opened in 1961
Hadley Park opened in 1952
Thompson Lane opened in 1965
Inglewood opened in 1969
Edgehill opened in 1967
Watkins Park/Charlotte/D.B. Todd opened in 1992

New libraries

New libraries are eyed for areas that do not have branches but have the population density to support one.

Cayce 
Smith Springs
Charlotte/Hillwood
Joelton/Whites Creek
Dickerson/Trinity Lane
Murfreesboro/Briley
Nolensville/Harding
Crieve Hall

• Like 2