Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

25 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I know absolutely nothing about Briley, what are the odds that a person in the seat for a few months isn't going to be a lame duck?

His odds are good; just about anyone else's would not be so good.  Like his Wikipedia pages states, he is a Legacy Nashvillian...lots of name recognition even though he didn't do so well when he ran outright against Dean years ago.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Whiners and complainers, hardly. Even some of the liberals on this board have been calling for her resignation. It’s just been a needless distraction for a month that we didn’t need, with the many investigations. Frankly she should be embarrassed, as Nashville deserved better from its first woman mayor. Now every time people learn about Nashville’s first non-white-male mayor they’ll learn the follow up, that she resigned rather than be arrested for using public money to pork the bodyguard. 

I wanted her to resign because she was a distraction and behaved unethically. But I think you should look at some of you other electoral choices and ask yourself if you are holding them to the same standard. 

• Like 3

Blanket statement - If anyone I voted for has sex with their direct subordinate on the job while using taxpayers funds to finance the global romping....then YES I would support their resignation! ha

9 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Blanket statement - If anyone I voted for has sex with their direct subordinate on the job while using taxpayers funds to finance the global romping....then YES I would support their resignation! ha

Impressive stand you are taking

29 minutes ago, samsonh said:

I wanted her to resign because she was a distraction and behaved unethically. But I think you should look at some of you other electoral choices and ask yourself if you are holding them to the same standard. 

Agreed. It annoys me as a liberal that people assumed I supported her automatically. She f'ed up big time and should be held responsible like everyone else

1 hour ago, Binbin98 said:

we also can say bye to our chances of amazon as political scandals always chase away potential business operations in the short term. Oh well

I would say that the scandal is over now. Now that the leader of our city isn’t under investigation by police, TBI, and the city council, we can go back to normal political leadership. 

• Like 3

I will try to stop posting about former Mayor Barry after this post. However, it is clear her bad judement, selfish actions, and idiotic hubris has hurt Nashville’s image and may have hurt both economic prospects and the upcoming transit referendum...to what extent we can only guess for now. 

There are several pivitol moments during the past 18 to 24 months where Megan Barry placed her wants above those of the citizens she swore to represent.

- when she began the affair

- when she decided to conduct the affair during official trips and on the clock

- when she came ‘clean’, yet choose not to resign. She is a smart woman, she knew better than anyone where and when her illicit affair occurred. She should have know the eventual outcome...

- when she continued to deny deny deny and obfuscate her actions...dragging on the municipal embarrassment by making daily headlines

fin.

31 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

I would say that the scandal is over now. Now that the leader of our city isn’t under investigation by police, TBI, and the city council, we can go back to normal political leadership. 

She may no longer be the leader, but the investigations are still ongoing: https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/03/06/tbi-affair-investigation-active-and-ongoing.html

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

She may no longer be the leader, but the investigations are still ongoing: https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/03/06/tbi-affair-investigation-active-and-ongoing.html

As they should, but now the investigation is about Citizen Barry, not Mayor Barry. Now when business and civic leaders meet with our mayor they don’t have to meet with one under investigation for improper use of public funds. 

• Like 3

I am a liberal and was a big fan of Megan Barry, but she should have stepped down as soon as the news came to light. This transit plan needed as little outside complication as possible to ensure its being passed and her completely selfish actions now leave it all up in the air and give the oncoming opposition media blitz something huge to latch on to. I really am just so disappointed in her poor judgement in such a critical time in Nashville's history. 

• Like 4

Booked into Metro jail on felony theft charge. https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2018/03/06/disgraced-nashville-mayor-megan-barry-booked-into-metro-jail/399755002/

As part of her plea deal, Barry was sentenced to three years of probation and has agreed to reimburse the city $11,000 in unlawful expenses. A charging document did not detail how the restitution was calculated, but the scandal has focused on the travel expenses and overtime incurred while Forrest was on duty at the time of their affair. 

4 hours ago, samsonh said:

I couldn't agree with you more, I'm a big supporter of Megan but she made a serious mistake and did what was right by resigning.  She admitted it, is paying for it and has never backed away from the truth.  I am SICK of many who were quick to condemn her but are complete supporters of the someone who lies, has cost taxpayers millions, not thousands, due to the travel and extra security, made fun of the handicapped, and let's don't even talk about sexual harassment.  This is the definition of a hypocrite.  Let's hold all politicians to the same standard we held Megan. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

I couldn't agree with you more, I'm a big supporter of Megan but she made a serious mistake and did what was right by resigning.  She admitted it, is paying for it and has never backed away from the truth.  I am SICK of many who were quick to condemn her but are complete supporters of the someone who lies, has cost taxpayers millions, not thousands, due to the travel and extra security, made fun of the handicapped, and let's don't even talk about sexual harassment.  This is the definition of a hypocrite.  Let's hold all politicians to the same standard we held Megan. 

#whatabouttery

Hilarious that some admit she committed a crime...but then have to throw shade on someone else, as if that makes it better.  Since you guys are talking about Trump...you do realize there are all kinds of investigations going on about him right now?  If they find something that will stick, he'll be held accountable (kinda)...just like Bill Clinton was held accountable for some similar acts (kinda).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

Not sure if you’re being ironic, but this situation is the opposite of whatabouttism. Do you see why?

No, I don't.

6 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

"Lets all hold everyone to the same standard" is pretty much the exact opposite definition of 'whataboutism.'  

Essentially, you're arguing for the ouster of politicians you'd prefer over politicians you despise. I suppose I'd be okay with that.