Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Pretty much every approach to Stix is straight, without many curves. I could even see, with the correct amount of stupidity, inebriation, and mental geometry, how one could imagine oneself going straight through at a high speed without slowing down (particularly going from Lafayette to 8th or 8th to 8th going south). 

• Like 1

Just seems crazy to me, the roundabout is always busy, unless it was like 4am. 

On 3/23/2018 at 3:00 PM, nashvylle said:

This design of the sticks could be ok, if it was done with more sticks and had led lighting at night, and not weeds for grass, and wasn't painted by 2nd graders. Since it was, this is embarrassing for a prominent location in a major city. 

It's all native grasses of Tennessee. It has looked anemic the first couple years but last year it was starting to really fill in. It should look really good this summer. 

• Like 4

On 3/22/2018 at 9:01 PM, MLBrumby said:

Davidson County grew by 2342 from July '16 to July '17!?!?!?!?  I'm gonna call BS on that. The number is about 10k less than where I'd expect. I think what the case with DC is... as usual the folks who provide the raw data for new residential information are slipshod (at worst) and just plain behind the curve (at best). For the past 30 years, I have noticed that the census estimates for DC are just careless. Then each decennial census the numbers get trued (usually) up. Nashville/Davidson authorities simply don't tout their population growth like other cities. (heck, I've even seen local news stories using 8-10 year old population figures). 

Thoughts? 

Weren't there at least 2300 apartment units completed within the I-440/Briley Pkwy circle alone? 

I dunno, I think it's legit. We're adding a lot of apartments in the core but it's offset by the demographic change in many of the most populated neighborhoods. Demand has driven prices on single-family homes up to where young families can't afford to buy in anymore. New or remodeled homes are $500-800K in many neighborhoods. The people that can afford them are upper income, often mid-career professionals with few kids if any. Enrollment in MNPS fell this year.

To me it's another symptom of our failure to grow our stock of medium-density housing (townhomes, multiplex, etc.), which should provide the backbone of family housing in a city of Nashville's size. Unless we fix our zoning to encourage more of it, we're just going to keep bifurcating into (A) ever older and richer single-family neighborhoods, and (B) downtown mid/high-rise apartment buildings filled with young single/couples and empty nesters. And that second group is going to represent a growing percentage of the Davidson Co population since it's the only segment that's able to make really significant additions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AronG said:

I dunno, I think it's legit. We're adding a lot of apartments in the core but it's offset by the demographic change in many of the most populated neighborhoods. Demand has driven prices on single-family homes up to where young families can't afford to buy in anymore. New or remodeled homes are $500-800K in many neighborhoods. The people that can afford them are upper income, often mid-career professionals with few kids if any. Enrollment in MNPS fell this year.

To me it's another symptom of our failure to grow our stock of medium-density housing (townhomes, multiplex, etc.), which should provide the backbone of family housing in a city of Nashville's size. Unless we fix our zoning to encourage more of it, we're just going to keep bifurcating into (A) ever older and richer single-family neighborhoods, and (B) downtown mid/high-rise apartment buildings filled with young single/couples and empty nesters. And that second group is going to represent a growing percentage of the Davidson Co population since it's the only segment that's able to make really significant additions.

Bingo. Much of the growth of WillCo and Rutherford county is new subdivisions being built on former agricultural land, which families flock to because of the ability to have multiple children without being completely crammed in with no storage space. I’m not advocating the suburbanization of Davidson county, and I’m not a person who thinks every child needs their own bedroom or every family needs a big yard, but there’s definitely a dearth of family units in Nashville. Almost every unit being built in Nashville is 1-2 bedrooms, anything bigger being prohibitively expensive. Try raising 3 kids in a 2-bedroom condo with minimal storage space. Add that to the fact the average public school in Williamson, Rutherford, Sumner, and Wilson counties crushes the average public school in Davidson in ratings, you’ve got a recipe for Nashville’s suburbs growing much faster than the city itself. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Bingo. Much of the growth of WillCo and Rutherford county is new subdivisions being built on former agricultural land, which families flock to because of the ability to have multiple children without being completely crammed in with no storage space. I’m not advocating the suburbanization of Davidson county, and I’m not a person who thinks every child needs their own bedroom or every family needs a big yard, but there’s definitely a dearth of family units in Nashville. Almost every unit being built in Nashville is 1-2 bedrooms, anything bigger being prohibitively expensive. Try raising 3 kids in a 2-bedroom condo with minimal storage space. Add that to the fact the average public school in Williamson, Rutherford, Sumner, and Wilson counties crushes the average public school in Davidson in ratings, you’ve got a recipe for Nashville’s suburbs growing much faster than the city itself. 

Those developments you mentioned have exploded all around Williamson County. I grew up in the Cool Springs area and witnessed nearly everything that wasn't Historic Franklin or the Cool Springs Galleria develop into residential units. After the semester is over, I'll be sure to snap some pictures of the newer developments and post them in the MSA South thread. McEwen is unrecognizable if the last time you drove on it was before 2010.

• Like 2

In regards to who can afford to live in neighborhoods like mine....there are a lot of young families drawn to the new Waverly Belmont Elementary. I don’t how they afford it, but there are a lot. Personally, I couldn’t afford to move here now....

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I know a lot of people on here hate the suburbs...but it's really the only way many of us can afford to live here in middle TN with just a little room...and still be close enough to Nashville to work and do things in the city.

Completely agree. If the suburbs sucked the suburban counties wouldn’t be growing like wildfire. There’s positives and negatives to both. I just wish Nashville had some of the positives of the suburbs, namely plentiful middle and working class housing for families. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nativetenn said:

Those developments you mentioned have exploded all around Williamson County. I grew up in the Cool Springs area and witnessed nearly everything that wasn't Historic Franklin or the Cool Springs Galleria develop into residential units. After the semester is over, I'll be sure to snap some pictures of the newer developments and post them in the MSA South thread. McEwen is unrecognizable if the last time you drove on it was before 2010.

To see something trippy go south on Carothers past the new(ish) DMV. There used to be nothing out there, but there are literally thousands of single family homes and apartments being built, and it doesn’t seem to be stopping anytime soon. And I totally agree about Cool Springs exploding. The families of my high school classmates sold much of the farmland that became cool springs in the 1980s and 1990s. In fact several of their families have roads named after them in Cool Springs. Almost every time I find myself in the area I’m amazed by the growth. 

According to a RealPage report, Nashville’s rental residential inventory grew 7.4 percent in 2017, the highest annual expansion rate among all major U.S. markets since 2010.

The report notes that the pace of apartment construction progress is slowing. Still, apartment rental rates across the country have grown for eight consecutive years now, despite extensive construction activity.

Collectively, average U.S. apartment rents have grown 28.5 percent over the current cycle.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20998141/superspeedway-parcel-segment-sells-for-51m

• Like 2

14 hours ago, titanhog said:

I know a lot of people on here hate the suburbs...but it's really the only way many of us can afford to live here in middle TN with just a little room...and still be close enough to Nashville to work and do things in the city.

I'll half agree with that. There are a ton of houses starting to go up for sale in 37210 that are super cheap but you aren't going to be living in 12 South or East Nashville... 

For awhile the divider was 4th, but now it's even starting to jump across Lafayette. 

You will definitely get a bigger house and usually more yard farther out but them the trade offs like you said.

Edit: I definitely wondered if I had made the right decision for the first 9-12 months but it's paying off now. 

Houses.png

Edited by PaulChinetti
addition
  • Like 1

^^ Probably another requirement for a family is keep their children away from insanely high violent crime. The area you listed are in the two highest crime categories. So yes, they could choose to live  close-in, but a smarter choice for both schools and life preservation would be a suburban environment. 
Also, the same violent crime category cover all of downtown....of course the condo and apartments demanding the highest rents/prices come with a secured building/compound.

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 10.55.56 AM.png

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I'll half agree with that. There are a ton of houses starting to go up for sale in 37210 that are super cheap but you aren't going to be living in 12 South or East Nashville... 

For awhile the divider was 4th, but now it's even starting to jump across Lafayette. 

You will definitely get a bigger house and usually more yard farther out but them the trade offs like you said.

Edit: I definitely wondered if I had made the right decision for the first 9-12 months but it's paying off now. 

Houses.png

This is a great point. Many will be scared off by higher crime, but if you're into math, your odds of dying in a car accident are inverted by roughly the same amount.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Plenty of 900 - 2000 sq ft cottages and homes available in Woodbine, Glencliffe, Radnor and nearby neighborhoods in the 200's - 300's.  Occasionally, you can still find something in the 100's. Haven't experienced crime in the time I've been here. But, it exists, as it does everywhere. Loads of families with young children moving into our neighborhood. All ages, cultures and socio-economic backgrounds welcome!

• Like 3

Oh I'm not saying it was all puppies and sunshine @nashville_bound. I was broken into 3 times in 2 months, then they caught the 3 people doing it and have not had a problem since then, that was 2014. 

There is crime everywhere if you are safe and know your neighbors you all look out for everyone. Just depends what you are willing to put up with. We are on the tip of a police precinct that covers from downtown to Percy Priest, it's a huge precinct. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AronG said:

This is a great point. Many will be scared off by higher crime, but if you're into math, your odds of dying in a car accident are inverted by roughly the same amount.

That’s true, but living directly next to project housing that’s known for bad crime issues isn’t the same as just living everywhere, your odds of being the victim of crime is much higher there than other parts of the city. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Btw...here in my suburban neighborhood, it's very, very diverse, ethnically speaking.  Probably way more diverse than those living downtown.

The main issue I have with the suburbs is sidewalks.  Many of these towns were not built with walking in mind...and they most certainly waste a lot of land with large parking lots everywhere.  However...for a female, the suburbs feels safer.  I had a choice between either keeping that house in Edgehill or keeping this townhouse in Smyrna...and after the cops killed a man in the streets within view of my front porch in Edgehill, I chose Smyrna.

Same here, both in my current home in Madison and my former home in Bellevue. Most immigrant families are looking for space that can be had for a decent price, so they flock to suburbs. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve met middle eastern, Latino, and Asian families living in places like Nolensville or Hermitage. 

• Like 3

I've said this before, but it's been fascinating to me over the years to see US cities flip themselves inside out-from poor people in the center and rich on the outskirts to rich in the center and working class in the suburbs.  In 30 years we'll be Paris, with luxury downtown and the poor clustered around the suburban termini of the transit lines.

• Like 4

On 3/26/2018 at 8:59 AM, PaulChinetti said:

It's all native grasses of Tennessee. It has looked anemic the first couple years but last year it was starting to really fill in. It should look really good this summer. 

Yes, it's coming along nicely

received_1815129181889500.jpeg

• Haha 3