Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, e-dub said:

I wish they would have asked a follow-up question "please explain your answer".

I'd be willing to bet that a good 75% of thr people who answered 'yes' probably had the traffic snarls caused by construction sites on their minds, and pretty much nothing else.   It's amazing to me how many people there are who's exclusive concern when it comes to the development of their city is, essentially, 'will it make driving easier for me or not?'

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Who knows who clicks on these polls, but beyond the four walls of this forum are a lot of very thoughtful citizens who have been watching Nashville change over the 10 years since the great recession into a city in which many people can no longer afford to buy or live here, where city government values development over preservation, where the city has announced large funding cuts for public education and the city's hospital while spending tax dollars on soccer stadiums and proposing billions for light rail, where handouts for private business and developers continues, where giant short term rental companies can dictate unrestricted growth for themselves and effectively transform formerly residential neighborhoods, and on and on.    And, yes there are the construction snarls.     

Don't lose the perspective that Nashville is growing at a pace that is an outlier and highly unusual for most cities and would be challenging for any government and citizen base to deal with.      Many of the mayoral candidates are pointing out, perhaps correctly, that Nashville has not been doing a particularly effective job of dealing with our growth in a manner that benefits all.     I don't think those poll results are surprising at all. 

Many of the complaints you are mentioning go back to the state, not Metro(education funding, Airbnb).  This is a city brimming with economic opportunity, and I would encourage those who feel like they are falling behind to take advantage of it.  We are very lucky to be in the position we are in. 

Also if you shut down the hospital you could increase your education dollars. Which I think we should do.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Who knows who clicks on these polls, but beyond the four walls of this forum are a lot of very thoughtful citizens who have been watching Nashville change over the 10 years since the great recession into a city in which many people can no longer afford to buy or live here, where city government values development over preservation, where the city has announced large funding cuts for public education and the city's hospital while spending tax dollars on soccer stadiums and proposing billions for light rail, where handouts for private business and developers continues, where giant short term rental companies can dictate unrestricted growth for themselves and effectively transform formerly residential neighborhoods, and on and on.    And, yes there are the construction snarls.     

Don't lose the perspective that Nashville is growing at a pace that is an outlier and highly unusual for most cities and would be challenging for any government and citizen base to deal with.      Many of the mayoral candidates are pointing out, perhaps correctly, that Nashville has not been doing a particularly effective job of dealing with our growth in a manner that benefits all.     I don't think those poll results are surprising at all. 

Those people have the correct insight and intellect associated with living in the real world. Who cares if the elderly and others can't afford to live in Nashville and are becoming homeless. There are developments that must be cheered on. Ironically those same developments are caterwauled and bewailed about when rendered and\or built.

Interesting how billionaires are to be catered to as long as they are developers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GregH said:

I agree with the sentiment about the sidewalk requirements but I don't think those streets are really great examples. They're both only a few blocks long and dead-end at the interstate. Way down the list of streets where sidewalks are needed.

I don't know, I think these are perfect examples, they sit on a hill and 33rd goes right down to Charolette. It would have been super easy for developers to put these in. The houses sidewalks just end right into the road. And in 37th case, there is even a sidewalk to connect to! In a recent BZA meeting, that was a lot of people's biggest gripe that they were going to have to build a sidewalk to nowhere. Well if everyone gets a variance then it will always be a sidewalk to nowhere because everyone gets a varience (head explode). 

Now everything will have to be ripped up and started over. And where did the fund money go for that street? That's my biggest gripe, a short little street like that isn't going to be high on the cities list to get done, so it'll never get done. 

Not picking on your GregH, more so the logic of the BZA, I'd love to see how much sidewalk has been built versus how many variances they have granted. 

33rd.png

37th.png

• Like 2

Morning electrician prediction. 

Either a runoff between Swain and Briley, with swain having a slight lead. In this scenario, I see Briley supporters showing up better in the runoff election. 

Or

Swain wins outright. 

Those are the only 2 names I see consistently. And I see much more from Swain. And swain supporters on Facebook. 

Briley is running many ads on local TV, but as we learned last month. People don't watch local TV. 

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

I'd love to see how much sidewalk has been built versus how many variances they have granted. 

There's a three-house project going up on my street that's not doing sidewalks because they got their permit in the day before the sidewalk regs went into effect, I wonder how many similar permits were rushed through (they didn't start construction for another 6 months). 

17 hours ago, CenterHill said:

The problems I listed are all primarily Metro issues - affordable housing, funding our schools, health care for lower income citizens, zoning and development, property tax incentives.        As for Airbnb,  Metro council opened the door to Airbnb in 2015 by passing an ordinance allowing the platforms to operate in residential neighborhoods.     Since then the number of short term rentals has exploded as have the complaints against them.      By the time council was able to pass a residential zoning phase out earlier this year, the industry was firmly entrenched and Nashville had become a leading market for Airbnb.      Airbnb was not about to lose it and hired an army of lobbyists to persuade Council not to limit them, and when that failed, were able to persuade the legislature to preempt Nashville.      So, no, we have the Council (circa 2015) to thank for our current STR problems.    

My point was in response to a theme I keep hearing that anyone who takes issue with Nashville's growth and where and to whom we allocate our resources is either "anti-growth" or "uninformed" or "old".      I've talked to many people I consider to be very smart and knowledgeable about growth and urban planning, who like growth, and are in favor of growth, but who see the city losing its focus on the fundamentals that have always made Nashville a livable city.     Affordability is the biggest issue.       Let's be honest, for a lot of people, Nashville either no longer is, or soon won't be, a place they can afford to live.     The 1000 new Alliance Bernstein employees can afford it, but all the waiters, line cooks, bus drivers, landscapers, police officers, teachers, housekeepers, nannies, Uber drivers and countless other workers needed to feed and sustain this growth cannot.      This is a big problem and we don't have a solution for it yet (and no, I don't either).     I think this is why a lot of people click "Yes" we're growing too fast.      

What should Metro do to make housing affordable? Where do the funds come from for that? They are already subsidizing Metro General to the tune of north of 46 million this fiscal year, is that not enough? Metro tried to crack down on Airbnb and the state said no.  How is the state not to blame for that? Metro can't overcome state law in this regard.  

All growing cities deal with these issues, and all things considered Nashville is still quite affordable.  

1 hour ago, grilled_cheese said:

^^^^^ Correct

The transit plan was one way that 'could' have helped with affordable housing because it would have rezoned areas near the planned LTR to allow higher density housing which would have added stock and lowered demand and thus prices.  But, nah, we don't want transit because we want AFFORDABLE HOUSING.  And if the gov't were to step in and somehow try to legislate some solution then the MUH RAHTS crowd loses their minds.

It's one giant circle jerk of not knowing how to actually identify problems and fix them.

Welcome to The South.

Only thing I would add is that this one isn't just the south. Almost every top-50 American city is artificially driving up prices of the only mathematically viable middle class urban housing (townhouse/multiplex) by strict single-family zoning on 90% of their land, left over from the first round of development. There's a YIMBY movement growing to counter vociferous resistance from baby boomer homeowners, but it's only nibbling at the edges. See SB 827 in California, or the efforts of Neighbors for More Neighbors in Minneapolis (http://www.startribune.com/the-pro-density-movement-in-minneapolis-seeks-to-find-its-voice/476884973/).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Metro issues - affordable housing

The State has actively blocked Metro's affordable housing policies. This year they blocked Metro's inclusionary housing ordinance.

2 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

How do you "make" affordable housing?

In TN you increase the supply of housing available.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the MNPS budget has increased or remained the same every year for a decade or more.

Well this year will still see a $5 million dollar increase. So I am not sure where CenterHill is seeing a cut. Hopefully he can point it out. All the budgets are at this site if he wants to do so:

https://www.mnps.org/budgets/

And this doesn't even tell the whole story. Enrollment dropped last year despite our increasing population. So talking about cuts when funding is increasing for fewer students is disingenuous at best. 

Edited by samsonh

3 hours ago, volsfanwill said:

Morning electrician prediction. 

Either a runoff between Swain and Briley, with swain having a slight lead. In this scenario, I see Briley supporters showing up better in the runoff election. 

Or

Swain wins outright. 

Those are the only 2 names I see consistently. And I see much more from Swain. And swain supporters on Facebook. 

Briley is running many ads on local TV, but as we learned last month. People don't watch local TV. 

I think you may be correct. The left has not coalesced around Briley and her people are motivated and turning out. This is crazy.