Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

38 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Charlotte is a beautiful city. One complaint I have heard is actually related to your compliment @GreenHillsBoy... everything is brand new and shiny and the city's history has been demo'd and lost. Don't know enough about the city to agree or disagree, just what I have heard. 

That's my impression too from past visits.  It's a lovely, clean city, but very lacking in architectural diversity and character, which is why I'd agree with @GreenHillsBoy that their skyscraper architecture is superior, but not their architecture overall.  I will fully admit though that that is a bit of a below the belt criticism since Charlotte had that diversity in the past, but was an even bigger victim of the urban renewal era than we were.  Plus, there are other areas that they are objectively superior, such as their mass transit system.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Metro passes substitute budget with no property tax increase and no raises for city employees.

Next year's budget will be higher. One lean year and then back to normal. Reappraisals need to be done better next time. It is important to vote in these smaller elections for positions(property assessor) that no one really cares about for this exact reason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

Next year's budget will be higher. One lean year and then back to normal. Reappraisals need to be done better next time. It is important to vote in these smaller elections for positions(property assessor) that no one really cares about for this exact reason. 

Couldn't agree more, it seems that almost everyone that challenged the assessment won the challenge and their assessments were lowered substantially.  I have no idea how or who allowed this, but it needs to be looked into and someone held accountable.   We do also need to STOP the payments to former council members who lobby, Jerry Maynard for General Hospital for one.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GreenHillsBoy said:

Couldn't agree more, it seems that almost everyone that challenged the assessment won the challenge and their assessments were lowered substantially.  I have no idea how or who allowed this, but it needs to be looked into and someone held accountable.   We do also need to STOP the payments to former council members who lobby, Jerry Maynard for General Hospital for one.  

I believe all the the reappraisals were for large multifamily buildings (meaning wealthy developers paying for lower assessment) as opposed to individual residences.

IMO, our property taxes should be raised while still maintaining the lowest rate in the state. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

It wasn’t the reappraisals that were the problem.  It was appeals.  Currently, metro reappraises everything and then adjusts the rate downward to keep revenue neutral year over year. After that happens, the appeals are heard and revenue drops. What they should do is to reappraise everything, allow the appeals to happen then, and then set the property rates. That would be a more predictable way to judge the amount of revenue coming in.

Completely agreed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

It wasn’t the reappraisals that were the problem.  It was appeals.  Currently, metro reappraises everything and then adjusts the rate downward to keep revenue neutral year over year. After that happens, the appeals are heard and revenue drops. What they should do is to reappraise everything, allow the appeals to happen then, and then set the property rates. That would be a more predictable way to judge the amount of revenue coming in.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but how can metro expect to increase revenues year over year if they adjust rates down to keep revenue neutral? 

Edited by nashvylle

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

One other big hit on London is any building built in the last 40 years it seems. So much of it is either brutally Orwellian or just obnoxious. A prime example being the Shard, which I snapped a picture of while waiting on the train at London Bridge Station. At least one of these monstrosities hasn't really made an appearance in Nashville yet! imageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b84370

Maybe they should have named it The Shart? :D

• Haha 2

Great summation of my favorite city. And I completely agree with your assessment of the new buildings there. Very disappointing... I haven't been to Shanghai, but the photos I've seen show also similarly ugly new architecture. Yes to Nashville, or Chattanooga not yet getting those "monstrosities", although I've seen 1 or 2 in some of our peer cities (not naming). I know ATT ("Batman") is beloved in Nashville, but I only like it from 1 angle (the pointed sides).  The broadside view (IMHO) is gimmicky and cheats on height. 

London is a city to wander. I actually like that it does not have a grid... and use the Thames to get my bearings. My most recent trip there was a week spent (quasi on business... and quasi to take our kids with us). Everyday, we walked 8-10 miles (no JOKE) and of course were exhausted. We stayed at the Crown Plaza near Blackfriars (thank you Amex points!) in the middle of everything. So we walked and walked and walked. I imagine if you live there, you'd become very aware of the distance pretty quickly, but as tourists we were too busy looking at the sites to even notice. 

The museums are spread out, and even in odd ways sort of "tucked" away from the major thoroughfares. I recall thinking the British Museum seemed off the beaten path. And I too was annoyed by the tourists. One woman from Japan by way of Belgium even harassed me because the Brits never returned the Elgin Marbles. I politely told her THREE TIMES that I'm not British. But she was obsessed. The guard at the door had to come over and ask her to stop harassing the visitors. Still love the place; but so glad I don't live there. 

• Like 2

The thames is an easy guide, at lest on the west side. One of our best adventures in London was taking the family on a walkabout from Richmond to Westminster along theThames footpath. The path led us through the idyllic enclaves and, ancient pubs, rowing clubs, breweries, bustling Chelsea and Fulham, and finally Westminster.

I just returned from London. it was my first visit.  I did a lot of walking and used the subway a lot.  I am great with directions. but if it had not been for google maps i would have gotten lost constantly.  I did get the feeling that the locals didn't mind tourists like us.  (a couple) or in family groups, but it was obvious they didn't care for the big groups on buses.  those annoyed me too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Dell technology company is adding 225 new employees to its Nashville campus this year as more companies are upgrading technology equipment. The company has hired 75 people since January and plans to add more than 150 new inside sales professionals in 2018. The company has 1,600 Nashville employees.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/07/02/dell-grows-nashville-office-225-employees/751293002/

Speaking of which... if anyone needs a job... shoot me a pm...

12 hours ago, titanhog said:

Sorry if already posted...but Nokian Tyres (Finland) is moving its North American HQ here (after building a huge new plant in Dayton, TN).  Behind paywall.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/07/02/tire-company-hq-rolls-into-nashville-to-keep-tabs.html

I don’t have a subscription, does it say anywhere how many employees they will have at their HQ? Any hint about where they might be looking for the office space?