Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I was just checking out channel 17's city cams and noticed that Paradise Park is now closed and the windows are covered with brown paper. (I knew they had announced that it would be closing.) Has there been any announcement regarding what future business (or businesses) are to set up in that valuable property? I will miss those delicious cheeseburgers!

15 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

It's going to be another bar -- I think that's the one that Kid Rock will be involved with.

Not sure about Kid Rock, but Clay Travis  is involved.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/08/15/lower-broadway-home-honky-tonk-paradise-park-sold-800-percent-gain/570597001/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie Hall said:

For folks who aren't quite ready to say goodbye to Paradise Park: The Sounds have announced they will host a Paradise at the Park Night this Saturday with Paradise Park memorabilia for sale along with Paradise Park grilled cheese and tots.

https://www.milb.com/nashville/tickets/paradisepark

Good lord. I mean people are making this place out like it was a Nashville staple. The Music City Mix Factory it was not! Ok, maybe not a good example. But seriously, it was just another bar with music to me. There was no history there. Hell, I had part of my bachelor party there (from what little I can remember) and I'll shed zero tears. People need to understand that whatever replaces it will be replaced in 5-10 years too. That's how it works.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, satalac said:

Good lord. I mean people are making this place out like it was a Nashville staple. The Music City Mix Factory it was not! Ok, maybe not a good example. But seriously, it was just another bar with music to me. There was no history there. Hell, I had part of my bachelor party there (from what little I can remember) and I'll shed zero tears. People need to understand that whatever replaces it will be replaced in 5-10 years too. That's how it works.

The owners of PP also run the bandbox in right field. 

2 hours ago, nativetenn said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville,_Tennessee

Somebody finally updated the pic of Nashville on Wikipedia! Looks great!

I know the Embassy/Curio Hotels will cover it soon, but I can’t help but think a massive mural would look amazing on that big side of nothingness that is present now. 

• Like 2

I will have to say the bill CM Mendes has put forward is way over due. This should have been done 10 or more years ago. There is no need for TIF anywhere in the downtown, SoBro, Gulch, RMH areas or for that matter anywhere. The Council should be the ones that decide on that and put it in the council districts that need it.

MDHA just needs to do housing and nothing else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Come over to Charlotte this weekend as Tennessee is playing WV at Bank of America stadium.  

https://belkcollegekickoff.com/

Charlotte lingo primer:  we don't have a downtown only UPtown.    But we do have  a Midtown.   When someone says it is Bo Time that means time to go to the nearest Charlotte based Bojangles for a tailgating special of chicken and biscuits    NoDa is North Davidson St area and known for its funkiness and breweries.  SouthEnd is the north end of South Blvd the other place where they are plenty of breweries, restaurants etc.  NC Music Factory collection of live music venues and clubs on edge of uptown.  Catch a LYNX our light rail train.   Your game is being played at the Bank as in Bank of America Stadium.   MJ is Michael Jordan and yes he lives in uptown and has a place at the Lake.   The Lake is Lake Norman the largest of 3 area lakes.  Plaza Midwood you will like it and check out the Thirsty Beaver the little bar that would not sell out plus lots of great restaurants.     So come on over this weekend. 

IMG_2913.JPG

Robinskyline.jpg

IMG_2539.JPG

We're gonna get whooped :( WVU is a 10 point favorite already.

For me personally, it didn't feel like a place that people wanted to be in. The city as a whole felt as though it was stagnant and it felt like a backwoods mountain town despite the fact that the Knoxville MSA is the third largest in the state. 

I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

3 minutes ago, e-dub said:

For me personally, it didn't feel like a place that people wanted to be in. The city as a whole felt as though it was stagnant and it felt like a backwoods mountain town despite the fact that the Knoxville MSA is the third largest in the state. 

I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Yeah. They don't call it the "Scruffy City" for nothing.

Knoxville MSA is misleading. Even the CSA population is nearly as large as Memphis with only 200k less. The city is strewn up and down the west side on I-40, so there's little sense of density and unity.

I had a love/hate relationship with the place. But I've come around to really liking it here. If there was a large enough market to hire ChemE's here, I would honestly love to stay. I love the mountains. 

But it's probably best for me to get out of here too after I graduate. I have only lived in Tennessee my entire life and I'm ready for a change of scenery.

I lived in Knoxville for most of High School, UTK, and 3-4 years after I was married. When I was there I loved it! I lived in Farragut (far west) for HS and post college and besides UT football there was little reason to leave the West Knoxville enclave for the longest time. Then I started a technology company and we opened up offices on in the Holston Bank building Gay Street (now condos). We continued to grow and moved to Market Street and then West Jackson Ave. in the 'Old City'. This was before the big Knoxville resurgence in downtown so the rents were much lower than in West Knoxville. We eventually moved into more corporate office in Cedar Bluff. 

When we moved to Nashville to expand the company in '03 we had outgrown the city. I travel back several times a year and I am amazed at how much things have not changed...except for Knoxville's downtown which is much more lively. 

I'm not trying to bag on the place, @nativetenn, but what I look for in a place to live just isn't what Knoxville can offer.

Now, I must note that I really do miss the mountains. I'm much more of a built environment guy,  but the natural beauty of the mountains is undeniable. Not to mention some of the best driving roads out there (TN32, Cherohala Skyway, The Devil's Triangle in particular).

• Like 2