Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Come over to Charlotte this weekend as Tennessee is playing WV at Bank of America stadium.  

https://belkcollegekickoff.com/

Charlotte lingo primer:  we don't have a downtown only UPtown.    But we do have  a Midtown.   When someone says it is Bo Time that means time to go to the nearest Charlotte based Bojangles for a tailgating special of chicken and biscuits    NoDa is North Davidson St area and known for its funkiness and breweries.  SouthEnd is the north end of South Blvd the other place where they are plenty of breweries, restaurants etc.  NC Music Factory collection of live music venues and clubs on edge of uptown.  Catch a LYNX our light rail train.   Your game is being played at the Bank as in Bank of America Stadium.   MJ is Michael Jordan and yes he lives in uptown and has a place at the Lake.   The Lake is Lake Norman the largest of 3 area lakes.  Plaza Midwood you will like it and check out the Thirsty Beaver the little bar that would not sell out plus lots of great restaurants.     So come on over this weekend. 

Getting blasted by those Charlotte's got a lot tourism commercials this way.  We have plenty Bojangles and Cook Outs, but we need more Carolina Ale Houses...send Carolina Ale Houses this way!  We have one, but it is in Knoxville.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, e-dub said:

I'm not trying to bag on the place, @nativetenn, but what I look for in a place to live just isn't what Knoxville can offer.

Now, I must note that I really do miss the mountains. I'm much more of a built environment guy,  but the natural beauty of the mountains is undeniable. Not to mention some of the best driving roads out there (TN32, Cherohala Skyway, The Devil's Triangle in particular).

Knoxville pros:

- Very walkable and beautiful downtown! Plenty of artwork.

- Excellent scenery. Trees and flowers are all over downtown. Take notes, Nashville! 

- Historic preservation

- Healthy city & regional population growth

- Building boom: Mid-rises are going up all over the place.

- Decent bus system in place

- Greenways lace through the city

- Flagship university located in the city

- Speaking of, UT Campus is like night and day compared with several years ago. It's gorgeous now.

- Crime, while not low, isn't high either. 

- Great restaurant and bar scene

- Unique districts for a city its size, i.e. Old City, Market Square, World's Fair Park, N. Broadway, South Knoxville, Ft. Sanders, Mechanicsville, Seqouyah Hills

- Lively downtown at night. People of all ages come to hang out

- Multiple music festivals and cultural weeks hosted downtown throughout the year

Knoxville cons:

- HOMELESSNESS EVERYWHERE. Bums are always sifting through the dumpsters.

- Have you been underneath the bridge on North Broadway? Extremely sad.

- Poor and dimly lit roads (though that may be more of a state issue than a city issue)

- City is a god**** traffic nightmare on gameday weekends

- Did I mention there are bums everywhere? 

- While downtown is vibrant in the evening, it gets eerie after midnight. Like @e-dub said, it feels like a backwoods mountain town overnight with lurkers around every street corner.

- Appalachian English is bizarre. 

- Methheads spawn randomly. Even on campus.

- Poor sense of sustainability (though that could be said for the whole state of TN)

- Low diversity; Knoxville is almost completely Scotch-Irish with a slight African-American minority. No international cultures have a major presence here.

- Industry growth is stagnant; region has difficulty attracting businesses

- Brain Drain! Most UT graduates leave the city.

- City residents are generally in poor health (once again, could be said for TN as well as the whole South)

• Like 4

21 hours ago, nativetenn said:

Knoxville pros:

- Very walkable and beautiful downtown! Plenty of artwork.

- Excellent scenery. Trees and flowers are all over downtown. Take notes, Nashville! 

- Historic preservation

- Healthy city & regional population growth

- Building boom: Mid-rises are going up all over the place.

- Decent bus system in place

- Greenways lace through the city

- Flagship university located in the city

- Speaking of, UT Campus is like night and day compared with several years ago. It's gorgeous now.

- Crime, while not low, isn't high either. 

- Great restaurant and bar scene

- Unique districts for a city its size, i.e. Old City, Market Square, World's Fair Park, N. Broadway, South Knoxville, Ft. Sanders, Mechanicsville, Seqouyah Hills

- Lively downtown at night. People of all ages come to hang out

- Multiple music festivals and cultural weeks hosted downtown throughout the year

Knoxville cons:

- HOMELESSNESS EVERYWHERE. Bums are always sifting through the dumpsters.

- Have you been underneath the bridge on North Broadway? Extremely sad.

- Poor and dimly lit roads (though that may be more of a state issue than a city issue)

- City is a god**** traffic nightmare on gameday weekends

- While downtown is vibrant in the evening, it gets eerie after midnight. Like @e-dub said, it feels like a backwoods mountain town overnight with lurkers around every street corner.

- Appalachian English is bizarre. 

- Methheads spawn randomly. Even on campus.

- Poor sense of sustainability (though that could be said for the whole state of TN)

- Low diversity; Knoxville is almost completely Scotch-Irish with a slight African-American minority. No international cultures have a major presence here.

- Industry growth is stagnant; region has difficulty attracting businesses

- Brain Drain! Most UT graduates leave the city.

- City residents are generally in poor health (once again, could be said for TN as well as the whole South)

I would agree wholeheartedly with this list. I always have a hard time explaining my mixed feelings toward Knoxville but this outlines it pretty well. 

I thought of a few more points as well- 

Pro's:

- Fort Sanders has a lot of really beautiful old homes. Seriously, I'm surprised that they are not more well-known. 

- You mentioned the art scene already, but Knoxville is seriously has a fantastic art and music scene for a city of its size. There are events like the annual Big Ears festival that feature some of the greatest talent from around the world. 

Cons:

- The beautiful homes of Fort Sanders are rented by 90% UT students, so they are not well-maintained at all. Walking through the area after a Saturday night almost feels like a third-world country with the amount of garbage everywhere.

-Knoxville has some of the worst sprawl of any city I've ever been in. Once you leave the downtown area, there's almost nothing but crappy suburban strip malls for miles and miles. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh tell me about it. I live in Fort Sanders. Love the location, but I hate the amount of litter on the streets. It's filthy after gameday weekend. Which is another thing I'm not crazy for, because good luck existing in the city on gameday Saturdays if you don't have a good place to park.

@e-dub I understand you're not trying to rag on the place, but you still would like UT to bleed :lol: What's your beef with us? The obnoxious orange?

Psst: I hate the color orange. Shhhhh! If anyone doxxes me I'll be murdered in my apartment by an angry mob.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, e-dub said:

No, my #1 professional mentor is a die hard Mountaineer, so I'm in the WV corner - even though I don't like football at all. Not to mention, I was utterly miserable in Knoxville. So yes, I'm not sayin... I'm just sayin :lol:

You sound like my extended family. They have lived in Knoxville their entire lives and hate it because they feel stuck here. For you, I guess it came much faster xD.

I went from "freshman honeymoon" phase to hating it, then to accepting it, to liking it, and at this point, I dare say I love it. Even though I'm from Nashville (er... the suburbs and originally from the country), I find myself making a case for Knoxville when someone says it sucks. I at least try.

I've met more people who like or love it here than those who don't. People seem generally happy here, but it doesn't come close to the excitement and enthusiasm in Nashville. And we all know that! Nashville has an obscene amount of vigor for its size. The energy I get when I come home is just different than anywhere else. It feels as if everyone in Nashville is constantly excited about something. It's a wonderful feeling.

I hated having to leave Nashville when I graduated from H.S. When I first started driving in 2013, I would always take day trips to downtown Nashville to see all the construction. I love being near places that are teeming with activity. When I first got to Knoxville, it was dull like I expected it to be, at least compared with Nashville. Once noticed how well Knoxville was doing in terms of construction, development and population growth, I began to open up to it. And somehow I ended up loving it. In an era when most non-Sun Belt small cities in America are suffering, Knoxville is thriving. 

Edited by nativetenn

From my many trips to Knoxville I have noticed that its suburbs (and yes, they do sprawl for miles and miles) are among the prettiest of any city in the Southeast. Something about the topography and perhaps even the quality of the dirt (I have NO idea) seems to make it look clean and healthy for the plants/lawns. 

• Like 2

The Tennessee Entertainment Commission is seeking another TV show to replace "Nashville."

A scripted television series that spends more than $500,000 per episode in the state and includes a “Filmed in Tennessee” logo will be eligible for grants worth 30 percent of spending on local labor and 25 percent of spending on non-resident labor, the latter capped at $2 million.

The new incentives “are specifically designed to attract filming and production of a new scripted television series in Tennessee,” according to a release.

My money is on "Smyrna."

More behind The Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/entertainment-industry/article/21021021/state-seeks-a-nashville-successor

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Great perspective from Chicago columnist on why Nashville (Metro) is a leading destinations for expats from Illinois. Great perspective...not looking for a political debate ...no really ; )...I said no.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-perspec-mcqueary-exodus-taxes-illinois-20180904-story.html

I personally know two Chicago area families moving to Nashville.  One is career related, and I am not sure of the other family's reasoning, but there does definitely seem to be a mini-exodus going on!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Tennessee Entertainment Commission is seeking another TV show to replace "Nashville."

A scripted television series that spends more than $500,000 per episode in the state and includes a “Filmed in Tennessee” logo will be eligible for grants worth 30 percent of spending on local labor and 25 percent of spending on non-resident labor, the latter capped at $2 million.

The new incentives “are specifically designed to attract filming and production of a new scripted television series in Tennessee,” according to a release.

My money is on "Smyrna."

More behind The Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/entertainment-industry/article/21021021/state-seeks-a-nashville-successor

Real Housewives of Nolensville Pike (to quote an old Jack FM station ID)

6 hours ago, 12Mouth said:

“Meanwhile, their friends in Tennessee pay about $500 a year in property taxes on a much more expensive home with a swimming pool.”

Where could this be possible? I don’t doubt people are moving here for lower taxes, but who is paying $500/year on a $300,000 house?

Yeah that seems a bit of a stretch.  However, I live on 3 acres on top of a mountain in a modest, brick 3BR house overlooking a lake an hour east of Nashville and pay only about $600/year in property taxes.  No pool, though.

My realtor friend in Cookeville confirmed that she's keeping busy showing large homes to Illinoisans seeking to flee Illinois for the small-town charms of Cookeville where their families can enjoy a high quality of life at a fraction of the cost.  Not all are from Chicagoland, either; many are from southern Illinois.  There are several former Illinoisans in my church in Cookeville who make Facebook posts about their new hometown with the enthusiasm of evangelical preachers.

But I'm still waiting for someone from Chicago to open up a real, deep-dish pizza place.

• Like 4

On 8/30/2018 at 9:22 PM, nativetenn said:

Sad to see that's still such a bad problem.

When I worked at the Museum of East Tennessee History we had to constantly keep them run out of there because they'd be using the facilities for any number of unmentionable activities. Supposedly Knoxville had a reputation at the time among the bum community as a good place to be.

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

WKRN's "Progress vs. Preservation" series all day today.  Just saw their first one on the Cordell Hull bldg and the remodel.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/nashville-2018/progress-vspreservation-a-nashville-2018-special/1410283074

Sounds interesting and I will watch it when I get a chance.    Have to take issue with WKRN's choice of headline, though, as if "progress" and "preservation" are binary choices.      As if preservation = against progress.     We can have both, of course.       We can (and we should) persuade property owners to preserve buildings and places of historical significance, while allowing new development where it makes sense.     

I need to watch the episode, but Cordell Hull is a curious choice to lead with.       The restoration of Cordell Hull is amazing and I applaud the state for their about-face, but Cordell Hull was not really an example of preservation vs. progress.     More like preservation vs. destruction.        The state was just going to tear it down and not replace it with anything.   Parking maybe.         

Sorry to sidetrack, but thanks TH for posting the link!  

• Like 2